Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

Stokes Hall Update
news
STOKES HALL APPROVED, CONSTRUCTION TO BEGIN ON OCTOBER 4
After years of planning, Stokes Hall, a cornerstone of the University?s Institutional Master Plan and the first academic building to be constructed on the Middle Campus since 2001, will break ground on Monday, October 4.

The 183,000-square foot academic building, which will become the home of the University?s humanities departments, was formally approved by the Board of Trustees on September 24. Walsh Brothers, Inc., a Boston-based construction company, was awarded the construction contract. The project is expected to be completed in the fall of 2012.

?The construction of Stokes Hall represents the first of our Master Plan projects and will provide classrooms and academic office space that will enhance the educational experience for students and faculty at Boston College,? said Executive Vice President Patrick Keating. ?It is an exciting time for the University, and the beginning of more than a decade of planned construction projects.?

Stokes Hall will be built on the Middle Campus between Lyons Hall and McElroy Commons, and will include faculty offices for Classical Studies, English, History, Philosophy, Theology, the College of Arts & Sciences Honors Program, Arts & Sciences Service Center, Academic Advising Center and First Year Experience offices, as well as 36 new classrooms, a commons area, coffee shop, conference rooms and an outdoor gardens and plaza.

Bearing the family name of current trustee and former board chairman Patrick T. Stokes ?64 in recognition of his $22 million gift, Stokes Hall will help to foster interdisciplinary collaboration among humanities departments, while also enabling staff from the Academic Advising Center and Office of First Year Experience to interact with faculty who teach the largest segment of undergraduate students.

?Stokes Hall embodies this University's enduring commitment to the liberal arts,? said College of Arts & Sciences Dean David Quigley. ?The Jesuit, Catholic tradition of higher education has emphasized for centuries the civilizing and liberating power of an education rooted in the humanities disciplines that will call Stokes home. This beautiful building has been designed in the Collegiate Gothic tradition and will include numerous new classrooms, elevated spaces worthy of the teaching that will take place throughout Stokes."

The Stokes Hall construction project signifies the end of the planning and permitting stages and the beginning of the implementation phase of the University?s Institutional Master Plan (IMP). The IMP, which was announced in December of 2007, was created to provide the facilities to support initiatives outlined in the University?s Strategic Plan of 2006. The IMP proposed new academic buildings, a student center, recreation center, fine arts district, playing fields for baseball, softball and intramurals, and undergraduate housing to reach 100 percent of demand. The projects planned within the City of Boston were formally submitted to the Boston Redevelopment Authority in 2007 and, after two years of extensive community meetings, were approved by the city in June of 2009. Stokes Hall, which will be built within the City of Newton, was reviewed and approved by Newton planning officials over a period of 11 months.

Keating noted that in light of the economic downturn and the sequencing imposed by the City of Boston, the University has been forced to prioritize its IMP projects and establish construction plans over five-year phases. The first phase includes Stokes Hall, Gasson Hall renovations, the renovation of administration buildings on the Brighton Campus, a new dining facility on the Middle Campus, the conversion of the 2000 Commonwealth Avenue apartments into a student residence, and the construction of a new student residence hall at the More Hall site.

In addition to the Stokes Hall construction and ongoing Gasson Hall renovations on the Middle Campus in Newton, the Board of Trustees also approved the first IMP project within the City of Boston on September 24. As a result, renovations will begin later this month on 129 Lake Street, formerly known as Bishop Peterson Hall, to serve as the new location for the Human Resources and Finance divisions, which will move from their current locations in More Hall. Subject to final trustee approval in December, renovations will also begin at 2121 Commonwealth Avenue on the Brighton Campus, the former headquarters of the Archdiocese of Boston, to accommodate the relocated staff from University Advancement. Once the renovation work and relocations are completed, More Hall will then be razed to make room for a new residence hall that will provide beds for approximately 470 undergraduates.

?With all of the approved construction taking place on campus, there will be some inconveniences, but we are confident that the University community will be understanding and supportive as we embark on these projects that will greatly benefit Boston College,? said Keating. ?It is an exciting time in the University?s history.?

http://www.bc.edu/offices/pubaf/specialreports/stokeshall/stokeshallapproved.html

New website for the project:

www.BC.edu/stokeshall

Some renderings:

stokes1.jpg

stokes2.jpg

Though not sure about the site plan. Here's where they expect to build (right in the middle of a huge open space:

stokes3.jpg

Though the Institutional Master Plan shows that these buildings were to be built right up against College Road (numbers 7 & 8):

stokes4.jpg

do any of you think BC has a nice campus?

I have a biased, but i think the Gothic parts of campus are nice. The rest is garbage however.

Adam, I think the large area in the middle of the dustbowl is the work area, but I am not sure. Just going off the caption next to the image.

I agree with palindrome - the central part of the campus with the Collegiate Gothic buildings is what 'sold' me on the school - much of the rest has spots ugly - including the main library (and its City Hall-esque plaza) and some of the older dorms near the stadium.

palindrome - the work area is the fenced in area - I'm afraid that the footprint of 'Stokes West' will be smack in the middle of the Dustbowl thus creating two lawns on each side of this oddly placed building.

oh wow i didn't even see that fencing line...that is a huge area! Also didn't know this was going to be 2 buildings!

Well the result will definitely be more intimate an area, but the dust bowl is (was...) used for a bunch of student activities, as well as just lounging between class. I guess the land where McElroy is now will make up for it partially, but who knows when that will be torn down.

I'll snap some pics of the groundbreaking on Monday and next week.

From what I remember from my football camps at BC, the has some high points, but, as a whole is less than remarkable. Some of the gothic structures were certainly impressive. However, I remember an ugly set of dorm buildings near the stadium. I also remember the campus being a bit disjointed, however that may have to do more with my fading memory of the campus layout.

I think the school is a great one (not to mention it ran a great football camp). It's too bad that it doesn't have a campus to match.

I agree with the above. Ive been to BC once, and while the gothic structures are great, the entire campus is way too suburban. Even lacking basic sidewalks at some points.

I think all the other large universities have better campuses, although I'm not fond of the MIT one either.

the central part of the campus with the Collegiate Gothic buildings is what 'sold' me on the school

They're nice, but it's sad how often they're used in the school's branding when there are about four of them, and most of BC looks dismal beyond. Look at a brochure and you'd assume the place was like Princeton or Yale wherever you walked.

Agreed. For the most part the architecture at BC sucks (when will they tear down that godforsaken rec plex). But I think the "campus" feel (Jass calls it "suburban" above) actually appeals to alot of students.

They're nice, but it's sad how often they're used in the school's branding when there are about four of them, and most of BC looks dismal beyond. Look at a brochure and you'd assume the place was like Princeton or Yale wherever you walked.

Though as the renovate, they bring other buildings in line with the Gothic style. Here is Higgins:

01.jpg

I know I have a photo of the atrium which includes the old exterior wall, but not on this computer. It appears that these new buildings will look like they match the buildings on the quad.

I am literally sitting next to one of those windows right now. ^

The very anti Gothic library and plaza is the highlight of the campus, for me. Perhaps because it is urban reprieve from the suburban landscape of the BC campus. The newer buildings seem a bit Gothic "brand" rather than the decadent collegiate gothic of other universities.

Plain Jane Yale.

Yale's college gothic master architect had his buildings' windows smashed and patched at random, and poured acid on the walls. They looked like they'd instantly aged 500 years.

BC students, get cracking.

Though not sure about the site plan. Here's where they expect to build (right in the middle of a huge open space:

stokes3.jpg

Though the Institutional Master Plan shows that these buildings were to be built right up against College Road (numbers 7 & 8):

stokes4.jpg

The institutional master plan takes nodes from Yale, where the urban Gothic buildings meet the town and separate the interior courtyards from the outside world in a deliberate fashion:
ScreenShot054.jpg

Unfortunate (albeit not surprising) that BC deviated from its master plan.

Cell phone + late for work = bad shots. I'll eventually try get up to one of those windows in the background and see if i can get a whole site pic.

154862_734863954597_1612948_41173654_1670964_n.jpg

155377_734864069367_1612948_41173655_5024140_n.jpg

The institutional master plan takes nodes from Yale, where the urban Gothic buildings meet the town and separate the interior courtyards from the outside world in a deliberate fashion:
ScreenShot054.jpg

Unfortunate (albeit not surprising) that BC deviated from its master plan.

BC preferred to keep the original master plan instead of the current design for Stokes. Anyone professional looking at this space would see it doesn't make sense to plot two buildings in the middle of the dust bowl, in essence dividing this wonderful open space by half and creating an odd corner plot now facing the street as depicted in the current gradient design in the west wing. Who would want to sit in some space along a street with noise and fumes from traffic instead of a more intimate interior courtyard?? However, to understand why BC would deviate from a perfectly laid out design, you need not look further than the City of Newton, or more specifically select residents and their ward representatives who continuously fight BC on every single issue.

Newton felt that a building along College Road would be too "harsh" for pedestrian traffic and BC needed to create a setback green area to "soften" the look against the street. Give BC a break! Have these people ever walked College Road. I lived there for a year. It's a tiny side street that is seldomly walked by people other than BC students. God forbid someone has to walk past a 100ft stretch of the road with a new building on the side. I can understand if the houses along College Road are homes to families who would prefer an open green view but they all belong to BC as admin buildings! It doesn't negatively affect anyone, expect of course it offends some of these decrepit Newton residents. I have a ton of friends from Newton who say these people who fight BC do not represent the town as a whole but unfortunately most residents are indifferent as they do not have ties to BC and these minority groups are the ones with free time on their hands to challenge BC on every issue. I just wish more of the normal residents of Newton would stand up for BC, which has done a tremendous amount for the city, not to mention increased their home values significantly.

Although BC has a beautifully laid out master plan from Sasaki, don't be surprised if there are many more deviations to come in order to compromise with these unreasonable people.

Here are the detailed comments from Newton:
http://www.ci.newton.ma.us/cdbg/bc/BC10yr.IMP ReviewComments_FINAL.pdf

http://www.ci.newton.ma.us/cdbg/bc/BC10yr.IMP ReviewComments_FINAL.pdf

Newton felt that a building along College Road would be too "harsh" for pedestrian traffic and BC needed to create a setback green area to "soften" the look against the street. Give BC a break! Have these people ever walked College Road. I lived there for a year. It's a tiny side street that is seldomly walked by people other than BC students. God forbid someone has to walk past a 100ft stretch of the road with a new building on the side. I can understand if the houses along College Road are homes to families who would prefer an open green view but they all belong to BC as admin buildings! It doesn't negatively affect anyone, expect of course it offends some of these decrepit Newton residents. I have a ton of friends from Newton who say these people who fight BC do not represent the town as a whole but unfortunately most residents are indifferent as they do not have ties to BC and these minority groups are the ones with free time on their hands to challenge BC on every issue. I just wish more of the normal residents of Newton would stand up for BC, which has done a tremendous amount for the city, not to mention increased their home values significantly.

People who live around college campuses are rarely kind to the administration. BC does seem particularly cursed, but I think that's mostly because of their established and well-discussed expansion plans which stretch back many years. People do live on College Road, and even if it is little traveled (and it is, I think), that doesn't make it BC property. If one of those property owners wanted to eliminate their front yard and build a 5-story house right on the curb they would have to run the same gauntlet, regardless of how much it might help their property look nicer.

BC sits on the Newton-Boston line, which means that the vast majority of Newton doesn't notice it because it's so far away. As a full disclosure, I'm from about as far as one can get in Newton from BC. We have our own local college to deal with (Lasell), and frankly it's horrifying the way these guys steamroll the neighbors if they don't stand up. I'm also a college student and understand how these conflicts incite passion on all sides, but to suggest that people who live 6 miles from BC (which has absolutely no influence on our property values, by the way - I don't think it makes a big difference anywhere other than the neighborhood that's complaining) bear some obligation to stand up for an institution simply because it makes payments in lieu of taxes, when it claims to be in another municipality... that's a little much.

I actually think that the Yale comparison is an interesting point (though Chestnut Hill is not Downtown New Haven) and I like the look of these plans in either form. I would, however, advocate for them because they'll improve an underwhelming area of campus, not because I'm from Newton.

Back