Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

4th Project of the Master Plan beginning next month...

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/public...sTopstories/2012/topstories/oneill042612.html

1335374251863.jpg

1335374261056.jpg

Love it! This is a redesign of the plaza in front of the library. It currently is the gov't center of the campus. I hated walking through it on windy day. It just was depressing compared to the rest of the middle campus area. This should make it a little more intimate and inviting. The new dustbowl and this should be good for when they have the arts festivals or national hockey championship rallies (EAT IT BU).

How exactly are they changing it other than adding grass and trees?

Grass, fine. But a forest to hide the library? Why not just cover it up in ivy and get it over with. It completely diminishes its monumental impact.

^ well according to the rendering the trees will be partially transparent. The tupac of trees. I'm into it.

They are changing the grading to eliminate some of the stairs.

Stokes Hall today:

7185401934_d55e986240_b.jpg

7185399280_fc572a2a2d_b.jpg

7185396300_499f78a66c_b.jpg

7185393338_00b43792e7_b.jpg

7185389362_2edc74524a_b.jpg

7185391256_ecf007063a_b.jpg

Whether hypercontemporary (MassArt dorm) or neotraditional (BC), university architecture FTW. It's fashionable to run away from neotrad, but compare this to anything being built in the Seaport or Kendall and tell me you don't wish we could build like we did in the 19th century again.

I love everything you just wrote.

Don't worry the architectural press will ignore or denounce this project so that all the cowards can get back to contemporary Kendal-ism.

Those are nice. Thanks. I haven't visited that campus in 30 years. Looks like BC has upped its game quite a bit.

Updates from this past weekend:

Work on O'Neill Plaza
tCSKl.jpg

kjzUn.jpg

Work coming along nicely on the street side of Stokes Hall
plhQf.jpg

The entire Dustbowl is torn up, and looks like some new ramps/stairs from the quad are being built
EfFxq.jpg

LZR1d.jpg

eJTUJ.jpg

Stokes Hall drive-by:

8210943490_30296386b3_b.jpg

8209855335_64be80f83c_b.jpg

That looks great

This is my first post to this forum and I'd like to thank those who have contributed photos of the progress on Stokes Hall, as well as the interesting commentary. I live out of state and rarely return to my alma mater, so this forum helps keep me in touch.

The most recent pictures I've seen on Flickr show the buildings in a very complimentary light, bringing out the uneven texture of the stone.

I certainly think that if BC continues to build along the lines of this most recent addition, it will go a long way toward presenting a campus of national appeal.

The one element of the project that has so far not been photographed is the connecting link between the two wings. It has a lower level of open-air gothic arches, through and under which one may walk, and an upper level which is enclosed.

I wonder if the next time someone does a photographic update they might include a shot or two of the link, preferably close-up. I would be keenly interested in seeing how that part was executed.

Here's one of their shots of the archway. I'm sure it'll look a whole lot nicer in spring when the surrounding grounds are landscaped.

408519_10151424233288142_1757195865_n.jpg

Back