Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

BeeLine,

Thank you for posting those excellent pictures! Indeed, if BC continues to build with such high quality I look forward to the next addition(s) to campus.

I've heard from inside sources that Carney Hall on Middle Campus is next slated for the wrecker's ball. In its place a dining hall, again in collegiate gothic. I imagine that the offices and occupants of Carney have vacated by now and are resettled in Stokes so it may not be long...

Completion of the dining hall will enable the demolition of McElroy and the building of another academic hall...a ways down the road, however.

I believe the next project is the dorm at more hall. I believe the building is already vacant.

I wonder if they'll take on two projects at once. They are, after all, far removed from each other.

palindrome, have you seen any designs for the dorm?

I believe the next project is the dorm at more hall. I believe the building is already vacant.

While walking the campus last week I noticed that More Hall was very empty. I also noticed that there is some major work going on at St. Marys Hall. They have demolished a one story addition on the east side and have a fence around the building. I guess the Jevys are homeless these days.

St. Mary's is being renovated. BC opened a new Jesuit residence across Comm Ave.

The Jesuits will return to St. Mary's after the renovations, although the newly built residence (part of the Brighton Campus) for them will continue to house some.

Additionally, the south wing of St. Mary's (I believe) will be converted to academic use. That's nice for the students as it is a building of high quality. I suppose the new Jesuit residence has allowed for the conversion.

The Jesuits will return to St. Mary's after the renovations, although the newly built residence (part of the Brighton Campus) for them will continue to house some.

Additionally, the south wing of St. Mary's (I believe) will be converted to academic use. That's nice for the students as it is a building of high quality. I suppose the new Jesuit residence has allowed for the conversion.

The number of Jesuits grows fewer and fewer. For the Wisconsin Province, there are 254 Jesuits, 52 of whom are under age 50. The average age of Jesuits in the Wisconsin province is 66.

Governor Jerry Brown was once studying to become a Jesuit at the Sacred Heart center in Los Gatos CA, (just south of Los Gatos on the highway to Santa Cruz). The Sacred Heart Center has been converted into a retirement home for elderly Jesuits in California. There are about 80 in residence, their average age is 80. The vineyard is closed, or sold off.

Governor Jerry Brown was once studying to become a Jesuit at the Sacred Heart center in Los Gatos CA, (just south of Los Gatos on the highway to Santa Cruz).

Crikey, if only he'd had more persistence...

The number of Jesuits grows fewer and fewer. For the Wisconsin Province, there are 254 Jesuits, 52 of whom are under age 50. The average age of Jesuits in the Wisconsin province is 66.

Provinces themselves are in the process of being consolidated as well. The New York, New England and Maryland provinces are being merged into one. I think in the end the entire country will consist of four provinces.

That's a lot of capital for construction/improvements! I wonder what will be next on the list -- demolition of More Hall for a new dormitory?

Thank you for the link, racer.

I saw the renditions of the new dorm that will replace More Hall. I wish they would re-think the design. It is just too large and clunky. Five stories above ground with a mix of pitched and flat roofs. It has gables and looks similar to the nearby Stayer Hall -- another 'mega' design that lacks visual appeal.

After the obvious success of Stokes Hall, which is architecturally redeeming, one would think that that aesthetic might be applied here as well.

know where I can find a link to that ^?
edit: pnf is here www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/sites/imp/pdf/FinalEPNF5-2-13.pdf‎

and for the lazy:

6sIyrXM.jpg

v8rEriy.png

Assuming they use limestone for those tan parts like they say they will then it could turn out handsome enough. As it is in these renderings it looks like some godawful stucco/EIFS crap which were this being built by anyone else would most likely happen, but thankfully BC knows better. Overall though the design looks very confused, like it doesn't know what century it wants to belong to.

Agreed, mixing modern (exterior glassed-in stairwells?) with neo-gothic looks more suitable for a strip-mall -- the kind of architecture that was dubbed "trashitecture" by an 80's tv show called "Pride of Place" (I think that's the name...).

I don't mean to be unkind but the planners at BC should stop looking at those mega cruise ships for inspiration.

Those glassed-in areas are more likely the common rooms aka lounges, whereas the big shaft at middle-right in the bottom render would be a stairwell. But point taken -- the purity of Stokes Hall is nowhere to be seen here.

The fenestration on the east elevation (the one without gables) has all the qualities of a prison.

Looks like it will have the same stone/brick combination used on Stayer Hall --again, not visually pleasing. And, that brick color...

It's too bad that more emphasis isn't being put into its appearance, as it will be the first main campus building one sees heading up Comm. Ave. -- and the last one heading down...

I wonder which architectural firm will be used for this project.

Back