Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

What do you expect, it's Providence...

Yuck, was that a Hilton Garden Inn? Looks like Bentley College's campus. BC deserves better. Go Eagles.

Yuck, was that a Hilton Garden Inn? Looks like Bentley College's campus. BC deserves better. Go Eagles.

Go Eagles in one thread, go Huskies in another..... get it together man and pick a side!

It doesn't seem like either the financing or interest is there for doing more than one construction project at a time. I'd say it will be a lot later than 2017 by the time we get to the end of the current 10 year plan. That's not fair, of course. Recession and all...

ZuQHPjg.png

I'm not sure if it is the financing, or just the available land. They are currently following a stack of dominos. With the completion of this dorm, edmunds will come down for a new rec center, followed by i believe a new lower quad where the plex is.

With that said, they really need to do something with the two buildings adjacent to stokes (names escape me). When I was there 5 years ago they were talking about tearing down Mcelroy and renovating the one next to it.

I'm not sure if it is the financing, or just the available land. They are currently following a stack of dominos. With the completion of this dorm, edmunds will come down for a new rec center, followed by i believe a new lower quad where the plex is.

With that said, they really need to do something with the two buildings adjacent to stokes (names escape me). When I was there 5 years ago they were talking about tearing down Mcelroy and renovating the one next to it.

Carney is a hole, why they want to renovate it rather than start with a blank slate is beyond me. So much mold. So much 60's exterior.

Reliable inside sources have told me that Carney will be next to go down (in the near future), to be replaced by a collegiate gothic style dining hall, with, possibly, a cathedral ceiling.

McElroy will be replaced sometime down the road with yet another gothicly inspired building for academic use.

When all that finally happens the middle campus could be look great!

Reliable inside sources have told me that Carney will be next to go down (in the near future), to be replaced by a collegiate gothic style dining hall, with, possibly, a cathedral ceiling.

McElroy will be replaced sometime down the road with yet another gothicly inspired building for academic use.

When all that finally happens the middle campus could be look great!

Makes sense. Carney is mostly humanities academic offices and classrooms--now covered by Stokes. But in the master plan Carney was supposed to just get a renovation rather than a tear-down. Fine by me either way. I spent much of my 4 BC years at Carney and will not miss it when it's gone.

Makes sense. Carney is mostly humanities academic offices and classrooms--now covered by Stokes. But in the master plan Carney was supposed to just get a renovation rather than a tear-down. Fine by me either way. I spent much of my 4 BC years at Carney and will not miss it when it's gone.

I spent 4 long semesters struggling with Italian in Carney. Burn that bitch to the ground.

Italian?! That's a breeze compared to the statistics course I took in Carney! May I strike the match...?

Seriously, besides being an aesthetic wasteland, how is it that its one redeeming feature, the grassy courtyard formed by the three-sided building, faced Beacon Street?! Have you EVER seen anyone USE that space -- NEVER!

With any luck that will be taken into account with its replacement.

St. Mary's Hall is looking better than ever with its restoration, and there's an interesting looking "courtyard" on the northeast side, atop a new below-grade parking garage. Can only see it by a webcam on the BC site.

Wonder if anybody has seen it and has taken pictures to share...?

1250 Comm Ave:

15910301425_b1859431f6_b.jpg

15910300115_05fedc90ae_b.jpg

BC moving its art museum to the former residence of the diocesan archbishops, which was sold by the archdiocese to BC.

Can you post the text for those of us hitting the Globe paywall + to archive whatever information is in the article on the archboston site?

Can you post the text for those of us hitting the Globe paywall + to archive whatever information is in the article on the archboston site?

use incognito mode/private browsing. (CRTL+SHFT+P in firefox, CRTL+SHFT+N in chrome.)

all the info comes from here:
By ROSANNE PELLEGRINI | CHRONICLE STAFF
Published: Dec. 4, 2014
The McMullen Museum of Art, which has offered world-class exhibitions in Devlin Hall since 1993, will soon occupy a new and enlarged space on Boston College’s Brighton Campus.

Thanks to a lead gift to the “Light the World” campaign from the McMullen Family Foundation, construction is now underway at 2101 Commonwealth Avenue for a new McMullen Museum of Art, located in the former residence of Boston’s Cardinal Archbishop.

The new venue, projected to be completed in 2016, includes more than 26,000 gross-square feet of space and nearly doubles the current exhibition area in Devlin.

“We are grateful to the McMullen family for their contribution, which will provide a wonderful resource for Boston College and the region,” said Senior Vice President for Advancement James Husson. “The new museum will be a welcome addition to the BC campus,” he said, adding that “there are still a number of naming opportunities available for those interested in supporting this important endeavor.”

The McMullen Museum has won critical acclaim from national and international media.

In its presentation of groundbreaking retrospectives on renowned artists – such as Edvard Munch, Paul Klee, Georges Rouault, Gustave Courbet, and most recently, Wifredo Lam –the museum, art critics say, provides the Greater Boston community with a close-up and often exclusive view of diverse and outstanding art.

The building, designed by Boston architects Maginnis and Walsh and built in 1927 in the Roman Renaissance Revival Style, will feature main galleries on the second floor, with a smaller gallery and support space on the third. The first floor will serve as a University conference center, while its reception rooms will display old master and 19th-century American paintings from the museum’s permanent collection.

“With state-of-the-art technology and movable walls, the enlarged galleries of the new museum will allow for greater flexibility to expand and/or mount simultaneous displays,” said McMullen Museum Director and Professor of Art History Nancy Netzer.

“These new spaces will provide enhanced opportunities for faculty research to inform exhibitions and student instruction across disciplines, especially in the field of museum studies. The addition will also enhance the visitor experience, inviting even more of the Greater Boston community to participate in our programming,” said Netzer.

The new museum is made possible through the support of longtime benefactors and namesakes the late John McMullen, a former Boston College trustee and trustee associate, and his wife, Jacqueline, who shared a deep interest in art and collecting.

“The new facility will provide a more welcoming and accessible venue with expanded features for members of the community,” said Jacqueline McMullen, whose family’s connection to Boston College spans three generations. “We hope to share the museum’s groundbreaking exhibitions with an even wider audience.

“Our hopes are for a university museum that focuses on scholarly research and on educating the next generation of museum goers, curators, and trustees. The McMullen Family Foundation has always had the education of students and the public at large as one of its primary goals. Through this new museum we endeavor to foster a heightened appreciation and enthusiasm for art among BC and other Boston-area students.”

Associate Vice President of Capital Projects Management Mary Nardone said that while the renovation of the building will preserve the exterior façade, there will be an addition of approximately 7,000 square feet to increase its functionality. “Working with the architect DiMella Shaffer Associates and the contractor Consigli Construction, the goal was to create a design that is fitting for the museum, without competing with the special nature of the architecture of the existing building,” said Nardone.

The new glass entrance area will provide generous natural light, and “the entry will provide an opportunity for visitors to see beyond the new addition to the formal lawn, while the third floor will include outdoor space that will provide wonderful views of the Brighton Campus,” said Nardone.

The McMullen Museum will remain operational in Devlin Hall until the new museum is completed. It will continue to be free and open to the public.

http://www.bc.edu/publications/chro...mullen-museum-to-move-to-brighton-campus.html

What a wonderful use for the former Cardinal's Residence! I always thought it looked and felt like a museum...the spacious rooms, the wide hallways, the basement pool turned into storage! I had mixed feelings of my visits there....sometimes to celebrate, sometimes to be castigated...Now I'm safe in FL!

Back