Boston College Master Plan

BC has installed new video cameras on its webpage to view progress on the new playing fields and the new rec center.

I imagine the fields will be completed by the next fall term. The rec center is scheduled to open in September, 2018, I believe.

Link?

I wonder how those orange things are used...

Underground storm water storage structures often burred under landscaping and/or parking. This avoids the need for retention/detention ponds and such.

cca

MSJCKGBWYJOXTPI.20170425190653.jpg

Bond Brothers is installing these pre-cast units next to an indoor football field at Holy Cross. Bond describes them as a Storm Trap retention system. Perhaps that's a product branding name. What these do is detain stormwater / snowmelt runoff from impervious surfaces, such as the roof over an indoor football field, so a sewer doesn't overflow into a waterway. These typically would be used where there are combined sewers (sewers that carry both sanitary sewage and stormwater), rather than where a separated sewer system (separate sewers for sewage and stormwater) exists. However, if one was concerned about overloading a separated system, one might install such a system to reduce peak flow volumes. (Some of these detention systems will drain at the bottom, but not if the installation sits on a rocky ledge or clay.) There are a few cities that are building stormwater retention tunnels; these can stretch for miles. The image below is from a tunnel being built in Washington DC.

Gallery-3---Blue-Plains-starter-tunnel.jpg

Bonus pic from Bond Brothers, the interior of the Holy Cross indoor football field.

QZZZGLDSAQIEEIM.20170516175241.jpg

Boston College announces $150M expansion in the sciences

School officials are calling it an ambitious step forward that combines the college's longstanding strength in the liberal arts with its newer expansion into the sciences.

The crowning jewel of the 150,000-square-foot (13,935-square-meter) facility will be a new integrated science institute named after Apple executive Phil Schiller and his wife, Kim Gassett-Schiller, who donated $25 million for the project.

. . .

Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2019 at the school's campus west of Boston. It will add research laboratories, classrooms and space for students and faculty to collaborate across disciplines.

It also will bring a new engineering department and major to campus for the first time as the school seeks an edge in competition with other major universities.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/boston-college-announces-150m-expansion-sciences-50902184

Nice. Engineering investments are always a good thing.

^ nice, so if I read that correctly, it's going where the current school of nursing building is? And appears to be keeping with the gothic style of the academic buildings...

^ nice, so if I read that correctly, it's going where the current school of nursing building is? And appears to be keeping with the gothic style of the academic buildings...

From the nursing school website it sounds like they have already relocated to Maloney Hall which is behind the library.

Let's see how we are doing compared to the original plan:

BCmasterplan.jpg

Looking pretty good. The engineering building will really help pull together that part of campus.

Aesthetically, the reservoir would have been fairly awesome. Would be fun if a skating pond could be part of the lower campus quad.

Back