Boston Common Overhaul

bigpicture7

Reaction score
^ two things I liked about this story.

1) We're finally hearing about integration with an overall master plan for the Common (instead of this being some independent, side-effort)

2) They are asking a lot of the right questions about material durability, maintainability, as well as overall long-term maintenance expenses/planning

I was at first grumpy that it was delayed a couple of months, but now at least am satisfied with the activity going on during the time frame.

Really hoping this can be an impactful addition to the Common

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
It has been kind of embarassing/astounding that the Common has had worse materials and sorrier grass and paths than other parks in boston (e.g. Christopher Columbus park, Post Office Square, Seaport waterfront)

Blackbird

Reaction score
It has been kind of embarassing/astounding that the Common has had worse materials and sorrier grass and paths than other parks in boston (e.g. Christopher Columbus park, Post Office Square, Seaport waterfront)
Fits with the vibe, imo. Hopefully the improvements won’t make the common feel too manicured.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Maybe I'm too suburban (I mow my own small lawn), but whenever I've been on the Common, I get this internal angst: "I wish there was something I could do to help" / "There's a cry for help just below my threshold of hearing" whereas the other parks (more Disney-fied, admittedly) simply invite me to relax.

stick n move

Reaction score
First Look: Proposed Updates to the Boston Common

Article's behind a paywall, but photo slideshow should be accessible.
Looks really good. Cant wait for the mlk memorial especially. The best part to me by far though is all of the new trees. Theres not enough right now. Ive alwayssss felt like there should be way more trees. Its kind of half assed right now where the trees are too spaced out. I really want to see a canopy where the trees are and then open where need be. Go all the way not half way. This looks good.

bakgwailo

Reaction score
Looks really good. Cant wait for the mlk memorial especially. The best part to me by far though is all of the new trees. Theres not enough right now. Ive alwayssss felt like there should be way more trees. Its kind of half assed right now where the trees are too spaced out. I really want to see a canopy where the trees are and then open where need be. Go all the way not half way. This looks good.
Just wait for the shadow laws on the Common to kick in.