Boston Common Overhaul

Other disadvantages of concrete are that tree roots can deform the slab (generally pushing it upward), and unless set atop a very good base, cracking and chipping are inevitable in freeze and thaw climate. Newly constructed Federal parks in DC have used Belgian pavers for paths where there is no significant grade; asphalt where there is a grade.

Other disadvantages of concrete are that tree roots can deform the slab (generally pushing it upward), and unless set atop a very good base, cracking and chipping are inevitable in freeze and thaw climate. Newly constructed Federal parks in DC have used Belgian pavers for paths where there is no significant grade; asphalt where there is a grade.

I was just at the MFA yesterday and while taking some exterior shots I thought about this discussion:

Think of the fomality and evolution of a path such as the Fens and the MFA (where money is virtually no object):

1) people walk through the Victory Garden area on the soil -- low intensity of use -- could use some stone dust for the paths where the soil is often wet and muddy

2) some of the other paths across the Fens are asphault where there is more foot traffic

3) the more formal areas of the Fens uses concrete with expansion joints

4) the sidewalk along the Fenway uses concrete with expansion joints

5) the newly redone MFA entrance areas (State Street -- Fenway and Bank of America -- Avenue of des Artes) use stone (granite slabs) where the walks and plaza mary to the stairs and other building elements

6) Along the avenue des artes -- even the sidewalk is stone (blocks and cobbles with a stone border and benches)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=MFA+F...zbRTbnvtfBT_RoaRExoMig&cbp=12,311.24,,0,21.42

7) and concrete where the walks are mostly just extensions of the sidewalks on the MFA side of the Fenway, Museum Road, and even the newly reconstructed Forsythe Way

Wait, is anything different?

fountain.jpg

There is still part of this blocked off, where the summertime seating will be, so that's different. It looks as though there are new benches around the perimeter. No one was using them but that's b/c no one likes cloudy days.

There's a lot more green space, lighting, and significantly less paved area.

Note to self: Have the wife research the legality of breeding and releasing hawks into the city at strategic locations.

hawks are making a big comeback in the Boston area I photograph a least 2 a week,this one is from yesterday in Watertown
013-47.jpg

That is one bad-ass bird. Raptors are always thrilling to see, even as they become relatively common here and in urban/suburban areas across the country.

There are quite a few around the Fenway. One of the guys from Christian Science says several live on the tower.

There are quite a few around the Fenway. One of the guys from Christian Science says several live on the tower.

There's also a nest on Marriott's Custom House. They have some plaques up there that commemorate them.

There's a whole ton of them up in West Cambridge. The string from Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Fresh Pond, Alewife Reservation, and Spy Pond is teeming with birds of prey. Really keeps the exploding rabbit population down. I occasionally see discarded meals around Fresh Pond Reservation.

The male red tailed hawk that's been nesting at 185 Alewife the past 2 years returns periodically to the nest to mark its territory, meaning they're almost certain to be back for a third go-around next year. Both years they successfully raised 3 healthy fledglings. I sometimes see that male in Danehy Park. Perches itself on top of one of the light towers above the track and yells its brains out calling out its territory. Chilling to listen to...this deafening "I AM LORD AND RULER OF THIS PARK! KNEEL BEFORE ME!!!" screech that can be heard from a mile away. Has to scare the crap out of the dachsund and chiuaua owners in the dog park.

Also some great horned owls in the cemetery. And if you walk the Fresh Pond path in the daytime there's a grey-coat screech owl that sleeps every day in a large notch in one of the trees right next to the path. SSW side of the path where it turns in the direction of Glacken Field...two-pronged tree immediately behind a bench. Large notch, and he's just snoozing there 5 or 6 days a week in plain view of everyone from about 30 minutes before sunrise to 2 hours before sunset.

The view from the Brewer fountain up to the State House has been greatly improved thanks to the recent renovation project. Lots more green stuff. Unfortunately, people have taken to hanging out in the fountain, which I've never seen before, but nothing that some warm weather and water won't take care of.

brewer.jpg

Asphalt is so entirely the wrong thing to put here. Don't care about freeze/thaw and whatever, this looks like pure rubbish.

6822153043_29e07b090f_b.jpg

6822154889_5d6f171620_b.jpg

6822164731_5201ea0e8c_b.jpg

6822167247_e450352aa2_b.jpg

The raised brick planters and concrete light posts really need to be replaced on the Tremont Street side. The promenade along that edge of the common should look feel like the one parallel to Boylston Street and the Four Seasons Hotel in the Public Garden. There's already some statuary and monuments as in the Public Garden promenade. It needs some fencing, replacement lighting, and perhaps some spot lighting on the existing points of interest. There might even be a argument for additional public art along this promenade on a rotating basis to make it more of a destination than a utilitarian circulation route and park edge.

The male red tailed hawk that's been nesting at 185 Alewife the past 2 years returns periodically to the nest to mark its territory, meaning they're almost certain to be back for a third go-around next year.

I love it. Once they moved-in you don't even see one 'lil seagull or pigeon at the Fresh Pond Mall (roof top nor parking lot areas).

I agree with the part about the pitch in the Commons looking awful. It appears like a second road.

Last edited:
All the fences are down, btw.

Well, all the fences related to the renovation are down. There's still a fence up around where they're putting in an elevator.

I didn't know where to put this, but this thread seemed as good as any.

Did you know that after then built the Charles Brigham extension on the State House they were planning on tearing down the Bullfinch designed facade? Thank god they didn't.

I was researching the Sacred Cod of Massachusetts for the wiki article i am writing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Cod_of_Massachusetts ) and stumbled across this article from February 22, 1895.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...31&dq=sacred+cod+of+massachusetts+today&hl=en

It states :
"The annex is to be connected with the old state house by an arch across Mount Vernon street, and it is extremely probable that the entire old front will soon be torn down and replaced with a much larger modern fire proof front modeled on the lines of the original Bullfinch front."

Crazy no? Never knew this almost happened.

Back