Boston done in Sim City 4!

As if my procrastination problem isn't bad enough I now went and downloaded SC4.

Haven't really slept in a few days...

THANKS GUYS!

That's pretty cool that this got some attention so many years later, KZ. congrats! I wasted/enjoyed a lot of time with Sim City 4 when I was in high school. Even though Sim City 5 will be too graphically advanced to run on my macbook I look forward to seeing what other people create with it.

BostInno picked up the story today. No one cares about or reads public radio stuff, but BostInno is where it's at.

Hahaha it's still alive?? I played three shows this past weekend and EVERYONE who knew me couldn't wait to say, "I saw your story! Neato!" This whole thing is hilarious.

But hey, this'll make a great story for my kids down the road..."you know, back in 2012 your old man went viral? Yep, I was kind of a big deal for 3 days!"

We do have Big Dig Ramps...

BDEveningRush.jpg

BigDigTraffic.jpg

STOP IT. YOU'RE MAKING ME WANT TO INSTALL IT AGAIN.

:)

PS: Nice mods/add-ons.

Are you going to pick up SC5 in February? I know I am. I can't wait!

All this work and yet they still have the awful, overly simplistic Euclidean zoning basis that tainted the original game.

Residential, Commercial, Industrial.

Yeah I'm surprised that they don't have mixed use choices but we have to remember that this game is for all players, not just people like us.

Looks epic. I'm in love. I love the way zoning is handled along roads with the automatic lots. It feels really natural and is not based off a ridiculous grid. I think it is very strange about the lack of mixed use, seeing how SC5 is designed based off our modern sustainable world. Perhaps we should submit feedback to them at least suggesting it.

in the first post why the h*** is the kremlin on mass. ave?

Holy shit. Someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy SC5. I do not have the time for it but don't know if I can restrain myself....

p.s. I heard mixed-use zoning would definitely be included...

You know, I never got the Rush Hour expansion pack because it was another $50 on top of the normal game (I have a Mac). But seeing nexis' pictures almost makes me reconsider...

Anyway here's a few shots of the only city I've done this year:

close05civicnite.jpg

close12civicnorth.jpg

close17westside.jpg

One of the things that soured me on Cities XL was (besides the usual zoning crap) the utter impossibility of either (a) laying out streets in a regular grid or (b) quickly and easily making parcels to fit irregular street patterns. You always ended up spending too much time trying to solve the bin-packing problem. It looks like SC5 will have a much better solution to this, from the video.

Back