Boston Easter Eggs

stick n move

Reaction score
Heres a good one.

Neptune rd, the infamous road in East Boston that had all of its houses demolished along with Lovell st and Neptune ct to make room for the logan airport expansion in the 70’s, still exists. Neptune rd is bound by jersey barriers but its there. Neptune ct is also partially there too. Lovell st is the longer winding road that Neptune starts from. Neptune rd is the road from this iconic photograph.

Neptune rd before demolition. Note the median and slight rightward curve.

Neptune road today, sidewalks still in tact, center median still there. Theres even a couple trees.
7B59B2FD-26FD-43CD-8C8F-480A329CBE19.jpeg

Wood island station on the left for reference. Its kind of sad because the space on the left of the street is just being wasted with an empty paved lot where houses used to be.
C871DE60-5A74-4CC0-973D-06998EB778F9.jpeg

Here it is on apple maps
9A66EDF5-F97B-4811-B1FB-EFB65E871F50.jpeg

Still labelled if you zoom in.
D985AC7D-B113-427F-9E25-9DFDF8D98B36.jpeg

More iconic images of Neptune rd.

It would have been so cool to still be able to experience this today. It brings up similarities to the closed kai tak hong airport in hong kong. Its extremely rare to have images like this today and I dont think cities are necessarily better because of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/east-boston-neptune-road-1970s-2011-9?amp

Last edited:

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Heres a good one.

Neptune rd, the infamous road in East Boston that had all of its houses demolished along with Lovell st and Neptune ct to make room for the logan airport expansion in the 70’s, still exists. Neptune rd is bound by jersey barriers but its there. Neptune ct is also partially there too. Lovell st is the longer winding road that Neptune starts from. Neptune rd is the road from this iconic photograph.

Neptune rd before demolition. Note the median and slight rightward curve.

Neptune road today, sidewalks still in tact, center median still there. Theres even a couple trees.
View attachment 19622

Wood island station on the left for reference. Its kind of sad because the space on the left of the street is just being wasted with an empty paved lot where houses used to be.
View attachment 19623

Here it is on apple maps
View attachment 19624

Still labelled if you zoom in.
View attachment 19625

More iconic images of Neptune rd.

It would have been so cool to still be able to experience this today. It brings up similarities to the closed kai tak hong airport in hong kong. Its extremely rare to have images like this today and I dont think cities are necessarily better because of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/east-boston-neptune-road-1970s-2011-9?amp
Fascinating historical remnant that I didn't realize was there, thank you for pointing it out. The similarity to the late, lamented Kai Tak is noticeable.

I find it wryly amusing that while the planes landing at Boston are long gone (two 727s and a DC-10, though I'm betting you wouldn't see "DC-10" written anywhere on that plane), all three are of airlines that you'd still find at Logan today (two Americans and a Delta), and one of those two used the same livery until pretty recently (I'll refrain from comment on American's new livery.)

Arenacale

Reaction score
I didn't realize Boston had an honest-to-goodness urban ruin like that, that's pretty cool (and sad in the West End Urban Renewal sense).

That being said, in a post-9/11 world those photos are really unsettling to me. Do not like.

Plen-T-Pak

Reaction score
By "experience" do you mean it would have been cool to live on Neptune Rd with planes buzzing by just overhead? I get how the chaotic mash up of older cities is interesting, not sure I'd call it better.