Boston in the Seventies

If you scan assiduously the foundations of ancient buildings in the Blackstone Block, you may happen upon the Boston Stone. Placed early in the 1700's, this pockmarked granite sphere marked Ground Zero in the City of that century --the marker to which Boston's every distance was measured from Elsewhere.

By the middle of the Twentieth Century, Boston?s epicenter had migrated down Washington Street. If you asked any group of Bostonians for the provenance of their city?s dead center, they?d chorus loud and clear: Washington Street at Winter/Summer. It served as the geographic, spiritual, cultural and commercial pivot of the Hub, and it had no peer.

Here --in the presence of no fewer than six major department stores, dozens of jewelers, antiquarians and coin dealers, numerous five-and-tens, vasty cafeterias, teeming sidewalks, a perpetual and frequently ear-splitting traffic jam, shoppers from every corner of the city and the far-flung suburbs, uniformed sailors from British, French, American and even Russian dreadnaughts, mounted police on horses made skittish by the roiling crowds, vendors of flowers and roasters of chestnuts and newsboys hawking --here, anyone could see, throbbed vitally the heartbeat of a great city.

Here the Harvard-Ashmont Line screeched to its orthogonal subterranean rendezvous with a heavy-rail cousin that linked Everett to Forest Hills. With its boisterous, shop-lined pedestrian tunnel to Park Street, Washington station made it amply clear: you were in the big city, boy.

When you emerged, you could push your way through the teeming masses into Filene?s Basement, Gilchrist?s or Kennedy?s, or you could brave the crowds gaping into ancient Jordan?s nearly endless display windows all the way down to Raymond?s, where --if you could stand it-- you?d catch a serving of cornball redneckery. Or you could peel off into the eerie silence of Hawley Street and buy a button or a feather: a button to match every coat, a feather for every hat.

And there was not a parking lot to be seen. The land was far too valuable for such vapid uses; you could tell that by the vertical signs jostling for every shopper?s glance up and down that splendid, narrow, meandering, streetwalled canyon named for the eminent general and president.

After Raymond?s, Washington Street grew a little seedy, and the crowds tended more to sailors, ladies in scanty dresses, young folks and African-Americans. Shops full of pointy-toed boots --recently reptiles-- jostled with purveyors of surplus pea jackets and arcades full of pinball, while second-story diners could survey the Rabelaisian goings-on from table-cloth?d perches set right up against glass walls held steady by gothic tracery.

And punctuating all this was the syncopated, marqueed drumbeat of Ben Sack?s exclusive collection of first-run movie palaces, some vast and some subdivided. These were the only places in Metropolitan Boston where you could see a first-run movie. Ben had a stranglehold on first runs; he believed the city deserved to monopolize them; and the moviegoers rolled in from Roxbury on the Elevated and Newton in their cars. This was when Boston really had a theater district!

If you ventured even further south, Asian faces appeared along with ladies in even scantier dresses, the marquees now featured triple xxx?s, rooms could be let by the hour, magazines were carried in opaque brown bags, and rhythmic jazz wafted out of bar doors manned by the burly. Inside, on the bars themselves, you could find more ladies, but these were clad not at all.

Beyond Kneeland Street lay the wilds.

Tell us about the pleasures of life in Downtown Crossing.

Tell us about the pleasures of life in Downtown Crossing.
Hey, nostalgia is great and I like looking at old pictures of Downtown Crossing as much as the next person. The old movie houses and department stores are especially amazing because the types of buildings they were housed in will probably never be built again. When you look at all the old stuff, there's a longing there that's especially acute because of what DTX is like today (ie. much different). However, is the life of the Downtown Boston neighborhoods as a whole any worse off today than it was during DTX's height as a retail center?

As I said above, I don't think this is true for a number of reasons. If I haven't made the arguement clear then I apologize, but what some people would argue is a signal that Downtown Boston is a less functional place, I would argue is a signal that Downtown Boston's functionality no longer resides in a centralized location. When DTX was at it's height the South End wasn't a shopping destination and Copley Place and the Prudential Center were pits in the ground (and that's just to name a few newer locations that have become prominent retail locations in and around Downtown in recent years). Furthermore, what was once the main shopping destination for people from outside of the city now has to compete with the Natick Mall, the Burlington Mall, the Chestnut Hill Mall, and countless other suburban shopping areas that are in suburbanites' back yards. Now, could you make an argument that a centralized retail location is by defenition more functional? Yeah, you probably could to a certain extent. Personally, I'd like to see people in the suburbs move back into the city and bring their spending money with them, but in terms of functionality for a city dweller, I personally couldn't care less if I have to walk to Copley Place for something I used to be able to get on Washington St. To put it bluntly, there's a diminishing return on what centrality can bring you.

So yes, life in DTX is much different today than it was in the 70s. It's no longer "the" place to shop, but merely "a" place to shop. However, there's still life there that's important to the functionality of the city as a whole, not to mention the downtown neighborhoods. We make fun of the cell phone stores, but guess what, people need to buy cell phones. We make fun of the cheesy gold chain shops, but those shops need to go somewhere. We make fun of the fast food places, but sometimes even hip urbanites want to get a frostee. Sure, the Departement Stores are gone, the movie theatres have gone, and even Locke Ober has cut down on it's hours, but Marshall's, H & M, Borders, T J Maxx, Gamestop, FYI, Foot Locker, etc serve important roles in making sure that the retail needs of ALL Bostonians are met in an increasingly Bo Bo town. Sure, Marshall's is never going to be built in a Herrod's-esque building and the asthetic value brought by Sleepy's Mattress store is to be polite, lacking, but that's a different thing from functionality.

That being said, you could probably make an argument that the neighborhood is under utilized and that having an underutilized neighborhood in the middle of your city is probably a bad thing That's property that could be housing people, creating jobs, generating activity, generating income, and generating revenue for the city. However, that's a completely different argument, and although I'd love to make that case here, maybe that could be saved for another time. I guess, to summarize what I'm trying to convey here in the simplest sense is that DTX is a place where there are a lot of opportunities to make the city better, but that it's decline is hardly an example of Downtown Boston being a less funtional place than it was in the 70's.

Someone said earlier in this thread that things always look better in one's memory. These facts aren't just memories; they're all you need to know to see how Boston has declined as a functioning city.

Especially sad: once-great Washington Street, Main Street of Downtown, the Theatre District and Combat Zone, the South End, and Roxbury.
Not to needlessly draw this out and I'm sorry if it was unclear, but in my posts in this thread I'm 100% disagreeing with what you said above (or at least that was the aim). I don't think Boston has declined as a functioning city, and I don't think that Washington Street is sad.

...life in DTX is much different today than it was in the 70s. It's no longer "the" place to shop, but merely "a" place to shop. However, there's still life there that's important to the functionality of the city as a whole, not to mention the downtown neighborhoods. We make fun of the cell phone stores, but guess what, people need to buy cell phones. We make fun of the cheesy gold chain shops, but those shops need to go somewhere. We make fun of the fast food places, but sometimes even hip urbanites want to get a frostee. Sure, the Departement Stores are gone, the movie theatres have gone, and even Locke Ober has cut down on it's hours, but Marshall's, H & M, Borders, T J Maxx, Gamestop, FYI, Foot Locker, etc serve important roles in making sure that the retail needs of ALL Bostonians are met in an increasingly Bo Bo town. Sure, Marshall's is never going to be built in a Herrod's-esque building and the asthetic value brought by Sleepy's Mattress store is to be polite, lacking, but that's a different thing from functionality.

That being said, you could probably make an argument that the neighborhood is under utilized and that having an underutilized neighborhood in the middle of your city is probably a bad thing That's property that could be housing people, creating jobs, generating activity, generating income, and generating revenue for the city...
All true. ^

So..tell us what you like.

I'd say that any street with as many vacant storefronts as Washington Street is, by definition, "sad".

If you don't agree, take a walk with me some time from the Old State House to Borders. While we're at it, let's stroll another block south and turn right onto Bromfield.

Last edited:
There are parts of Montreal with a lot of university students and the retail caters mostly to them, which adds a lot of vibrancy to the streets and a number of decent and reasonably-priced places to eat, bookstores, and funky shops. My hope is that DTX, as more students and hotels come into the area, will become more like what Harvard Sq. used to be and less like the Burlington Mall. But it will take time. Meanwhile, the mayor ought to offer even more possiblilities for dorm space in the area and links need to be made with the Boylston St./Tremont St./Park Square intersections.

My girlfriend and I had a great dinner at Max and Dylan's on West Street last night. We wanted to go to Silvertone afterwards, but the last few times we've gone we couldn't even get a seat so we went down to the new Littlest Bar (should be renamed the Medium Sized Bar). No department store sightings, but plenty of people out on the street, even past happy hour. Sure didn't seem like a sad, mal-functioning neighborhood.

My hope is that DTX, as more students and hotels come into the area, will become more like what Harvard Sq. used to be and less like the Burlington Mall.

It is sad that it can't survive as a bargain district, though. I'm amazed that an entire row of discount jewelry shops was wiped out for a new CVS recently (the old CVS, under the hideous garage next to the Old Corner Bookstore, sits vacant), and that the electronics shops on Bromfield are hollowing out.

I feel like the urban lower middle class and poor are being surrendered to big-box discounters enough as it is, a process that's only accelerated with the government-pushed BoBo-ization of every worthwhile urban retail district.

I was recently in Brooklyn, where Fulton St. is a revelation. Not 10 years ago, Downtown Crossing thrived just as well, on much the same retail diet. Who is to blame for crushing that vitality? South Bay? (The big boxes in Brooklyn are way more accessible by transit and pose much less of a challenge to Fulton) The landlords, who were envious of gentrification in other precincts? (But aren't the landlords greedy in New York, too?) The city, with its attitude that the neighborhood is "seedy"? (Hmm, maybe I'm on to something here)

All four major components of Downtown's former vibrancy have been largely removed: department stores, specialty shops, movie theaters, combat zone.

It is sad that it can't survive as a bargain district, though.
It can. In fact, it's probably its best chance; but you have to convince the greedy and unrealistic landlords with their empty storefronts, the powers-that-be in the business community, and City Hall. It's ideally positioned for this tough economy, and it has the greatest flagship of the bargain retailing community: Filene's Basement. (That is, if they ever come back...)

Downtown needs to recognize it can't be Newbury Street. It's downmarket and midmarket, and that's a fine place to be.

When the major landlords are Ron Druker, the Levin Family Trust, and others in a similar vein, do you really think rents will be reduced to attract tenants?

The whole area has fallen victim to unrealistic development speculation ever since Tremont on the Common went up.

I don't see City Hall as a significant obstacle here. It's the landlords with vacant property that need to take the initiative. Perhaps a BID or a Main Streets-like organization can help.

Ron, Menino and the BRA have been flat out against a BID in Downtown Crossing for almost two decades.

And look where that has gotten us!

A powerless neighborhood association whom wishes to improve the area, but isn't allowed to do so.

A clueless Redevelopment Authority which hasn't been capable of crafting a coherent, intelligent, and funded master plan in 30 years for Downtown Crossing.

A power hungry Mayor and City Government which won't acknowledge they can't fix a problem and refuses to cede power to those whom can.

Allowing neighborhood groups to levy special taxes on members to fund programs and projects co-opts ineffective city government. How dare the little people try to do a job their official elected representatives have failed to, what are they trying to do, make the city government look incompetent? Maybe the unwashed masses will notice the money funding the local groups is better managed and spent than by those taxes paid to the city. Maybe that leadership will eventually run for public office with broad public support and remove the ineffective louts, now wouldn't that be a shame?

BIDs helped sidestep entrenched political hacks in New York City, there's no way in hell the pension pirates here are going to let some community and business groups usurp them. That ball is never going to be allowed to start rolling, too many legacy jobs at stake for the political class.

Main Streets organizations have done a good job where they have been tried elsewhere (e.g. Fields Corner, Roslindale, or for that matter Union Square in Somerville). Time to bring the concept downtown.

Seems like, no matter where a thread starts out, it ends up as a discussion of Downtown Crossing's woes.

Well it is the place where people meet, the heart of Boston, literally Downtown Crossing, the center of the hub, where all the problems with the city manifest themselves in one way or another.

Back