Boston in the Seventies

Ron, Menino and the BRA have been flat out against a BID in Downtown Crossing for almost two decades.

Not true. The BRA and the Mayor pushed a Downtown Crossing BID in the past and support current efforts to establish a BID. As I understand it, the primary opponent of the BID proposal has been the police union.

Do you really think a quibble over paid detail at the intersection of Winter, Summer, and Washington is all that has been holding up a BID for close to twenty years?

Two words, "Political Cover"

Similar privatization of public spaces (Post Office Square, the Pru, parts of Chinatown) with security guards has happened several times within the past two decades without such foot dragging. The issue has more to do with allowing a neighborhood group to establish a government at a neighborhood level which can collect and spend taxes on projects, thus co-opting existing city government. Setting a precedent for limited sovereignty for neighborhoods isn't something the city wants. It's a big part of the reason why City Councilors don't even represent neighborhoods anymore and instead preside over districts which resemble ridiculous pizza stains on a map more so than any sane geography.

I had forgotten that, but yes, I seem to remember the police union was against the idea of a BID.

Some businesses were against it, too, because, in just about other BID out there, every business is required to participate - to pay a tax - regardless of whether or not they want to or see its worth.

I think the idea makes perfect sense in DTX, although I continuously wonder why the owners have to do what the city / state apparently cannot.

Councilors don't even represent neighborhoods anymore and instead preside over districts which resemble ridiculous pizza stains on a map more so than any sane geography.
Hey John, is the district you're seeking to represent similarly gerrymandered? Can you post a map of it?

...every business is required to participate - to pay a tax - regardless of whether or not they want to or see its worth.
That's the nature of taxation, eh?

Back to the original topic: Any decent images of the Hotel Madison/Manger before it was
RsMadison2

I agree. The power of the South End is muted by being split in two. Same thing happens with city councilor, where we are lumped in with South Boston.

And, they'll be celebrating in the Newman household, tonight!

The Boston Courant reports that the Stuart Street Playhouse is being turned (back) into a movie theater.

The Stuart Street Playhouse vwill reopen in September as a ?art and independent movie house under a new ownership group led by Dave and Jim Bramante, the brothers who run the West Newton Cinema.?

More on the history of the old Sack 57 movie theater, here:

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6454/

archBoston movie night, coming soon to a thread near you?

This is great news. Downtown has been without an arthouse theater for way too long.

When was the last time it even had one? The closest thing I can remember was the Nickelodeon, which was pretty far from downtown.

Keith, more details? I can't find any news about the new theatre online.

John, will it be a single screen (just the current Stuart Street Playhouse) or a twin (also including the golf school)?

briv, the Loews (Sack) Copley Place was often an art house. Before it, Back Bay had the Exeter Street, the Cinema 733, and the Garden Cinema.

No word in the Courant on whether it will be both theaters.

Shame that there doesn't seem to be any photos on Google.

Maybe this will be a trend. Can we look forward to them reopening the Nickleodeon, the Orson Welles, the Tremont. (Okay, I forget ... Ron, the one at the corners of Beacon and Tremont streets, diagonally from the Parker House, now "The Cutlery"?)

That was the second 'Beacon Hill' theatre. I'm not sure you really want that one back, as it was deep in a basement.

One could say that the Tremont was reopened, since the Loews Boston Common now occupies the same site.

Ablarc they are all great photos.

What is the name of the "pregnant" building?

^ It started life as the First National Bank Building, and it's now Bank of America.

Architects were Campbell, Aldrich and Nulty.

Yes, absolutely. They're right next to the Old State House, between Congress and Devonshire Streets.

I always loved the spiral fire escapes. I would hate to ever need to use one but I think they are pretty whimsical.

Back