Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Re: New Brighton Landing | New Balance Complex

This type of development is so exciting. I haven't been down that way for about two years; I used to be there often while visiting my uncle at the retirement home near there on North Beacon. I am excited about this project and can imagine projects like it around the city. Of course, not many other companies would have the financial resources or even the desire to be the lead developer on something of this size but who knows? Harvard owns some of the apartments at Trilogy. Maybe we could get some hospitals to build some housing in Longwood or even at NorthPoint. Open to everyone but convenient for those working nearby. (The Albany Street apartments being put up near BMC is similar, I guess.)

I'd live out there in Allston if there was a full-service building (rental or condos) if the commuter rail was very close. I wouldn't want to have to take the 57 or 66 to the B Line to get downtown.

Allston has a decent amount of buildings with doormen, gyms, etc. One on Kelton has a racketball court, a few have pools. Then there are a bunch right over the boarder in Brookline too. The issue is most are filled with rich grad students who party constantly, so even the nice ones get trashed.

I moved from the South End to Lower Allston and have never been happier. I miss the architecture of the South End but I don't miss the neighborhood culture. Allston is so much more diverse.

I live within walking distance of New Brighton Landing, I'm excited about this development.

In the Second Amendment to the Master Plan for Planned Development Area No. 87 (the “Master Plan”), Boston Landing LLC, (the “Proponent”) seeks (i) new uses to be added to the Master Plan (a) research and development / biotechnology and laboratory, (b) a dwelling use, and (c) studio production use; and (iii) changes to PDA land area for street(s) alignment (the “Second Amendment”). In the Fourth Amendment to PDA 46, NB Guest Street Associates LLC. (the “Developer”) seeks (i) modifications to the Brighton Landing Parking Garage to allow for the construction of a new elevator core on the northeast corner as well as stairwell extensions and capital improvements to the existing elevator core; (ii) new uses (a) research and development / biotechnology and laboratory, and (b) studio production use; and (iii) changes to PDA land area for street(s) alignment (the “Fourth Amendment”).

Meeting tomorrow Oct 2nd at 7pm, 20 Guest Street

There are two massive billboards for the project facing the pike up now, a mobile crane is on the site, and they have amassed a pretty impressive pile of dirt.

The new amendments are about renaming the project to Boston Landing and realigning Life Street slightly.

Huge gain for this area, and also to expand the city farther down i90.

01-newbalance-headquarters-groundbreaking-elkus-manfredi-architects-boston-archpaper.jpg

why would the front of that coffee house abut the highway though?

I don't think that is the highway, unless some guy is comfortable going for a run on the median of the pike. My guess is the highway is on the other side and this is Guest Street, or maybe N Beacon.

I don't think that is the highway, unless some guy is comfortable going for a run on the median of the pike. My guess is the highway is on the other side and this is Guest Street, or maybe N Beacon.

This

why would the front of that coffee house abut the highway though?

seeing that there are train tracks on that side of the highway and a new T station going in on those tracks that would mean it would be impossible to have it right up to the highway without moving those tracks and not building the new station.......

This is the only render I could find that shows it up close its blurry but you can see the road that is between the tracks and the new development.

d220b5_rendering.jpg

^ Yes. The rendering with the runner/coffee shop is clearly the Guest Street side.

The road they are building along the pike is basically just a service alley to keep deliveries off of guest street. IIRC there are a few retail spaces where the egress to the commuter rail station will be but that's it.

My guess is that the eventual intent with the podium is future proofing to deck over the pike, which would also cover that road.

From yesterday,
2013-12-02_13-41-26_62_zpscd4da2a3.jpg

I have a great view of the site, but the sun shines right through my window all day and it's near impossible to get a good shot. I need to find my real camera...

Anyway, big mountains of dirt, and they are down a good 12' or so below grade. The excavators have been moving pretty quick the past few days, I wonder if they are going to carry construction through the winter.

Back