Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

I'm psych'd! Going Thursday night! I'm surprised this venue is not getting more notoriety, very rare to have a new performance space! I think House of Blue's was the last space about this size. Hopefully there will be large enough audience to keep this and the new Fenway stage going as well.. Reading the article, it's great to hear Billy String's is involved with Bowery. He is a great show if you're a blue grass type.

P.S. Also in the article. Long live Great Scotts! Hopefully they can take over the train station /Regina Pizza in Allston!

I'm psych'd! Going Thursday night! I'm surprised this venue is not getting more notoriety, very rare to have a new performance space! I think House of Blue's was the last space about this size. Hopefully there will be large enough audience to keep this and the new Fenway stage going as well.. Reading the article, it's great to hear Billy String's is involved with Bowery. He is a great show if you're a blue grass type.

P.S. Also in the article. Long live Great Scotts! Hopefully they can take over the train station /Regina Pizza in Allston!

Sidebar: I recently started dipping my feet into Standup Comedy. Nine weeks ago actually is when I began. The bars that I work are closing before ten. On a weeknight 😳😳😳

But my point is that most places are still recovering from COVID. Also, in another life I was a journalist, and I’ll say this. With COVID and NIMBYism, if you want to freak readers and viewers around here, then promote the sh*t out of this place. It’ll close as fast as it opened. Would you want a bunch of nearby neighbors going to planning posts meetings and shouting at the mic “I didn’t know that a new rock club would be opening?” The neighbors would try and file an injunction to have it temporarily closed.

Less press for such an operation is a win-win for everyone. Most importantly though, you want to ease the club into neighborhood. I’ll have to get back to you on Great Scott/Depot/Regina’s.

Sidebar: I recently started dipping my feet into Standup Comedy. Nine weeks ago actually is when I began. The bars that I work are closing before ten. On a weeknight 😳😳😳

But my point is that most places are still recovering from COVID. Also, in another life I was a journalist, and I’ll say this. With COVID and NIMBYism, if you want to freak readers and viewers around here, then promote the sh*t out of this place. It’ll close as fast as it opened. Would you want a bunch of nearby neighbors going to planning posts meetings and shouting at the mic “I didn’t know that a new rock club would be opening?” The neighbors would try and file an injunction to have it temporarily closed.

Less press for such an operation is a win-win for everyone. Most importantly though, you want to ease the club into neighborhood. I’ll have to get back to you on Great Scott/Depot/Regina’s.

Interesting points. A couple of reactions: to your first point, I think we're still in a really dynamic period that could quickly bring further changes. I agree that the social life / night life scene hasn't fully returned, but it's miles ahead of where it was a few months ago and could still change quickly as better weather approaches. Also, many companies' 'return to office' (if only a couple days of week) is around April 1, so we'll see further changes in the coming weeks. One datapoint is the area around North Station. Celts/Bruins have been playing for full audiences for a while now, but what's changed very recently is that we're back to seeing people "make a day of it" packing into bars/restaurants before/after game time, whereas in the dead of winter and omicron, it seemed to be more of a get-in-get-out climate. I base this on a usual weekend stroll route that takes me by the garden, which I've been doing consistently and have observed the comparative change.

To your second point, I agree that over-promoting a loud club-like venue before it opens can be a recipe for neighborhood activism. But in this case I sense there was a weird effect (not sure if intentional or not). I think a lot of people (including myself) who read news too quickly thought that the concert venue was just going to be the track space itself during non-track meet times. Only recently did I realize that it was it was a totally separate space, and designed for much more of a club-like vibe (a la House of Blues). This one flew very nicely under the radar, if that was the goal.

Interesting points. A couple of reactions: to your first point, I think we're still in a really dynamic period that could quickly bring further changes. I agree that the social life / night life scene hasn't fully returned, but it's miles ahead of where it was a few months ago and could still change quickly as better weather approaches. Also, many companies' 'return to office' (if only a couple days of week) is around April 1, so we'll see further changes in the coming weeks. One datapoint is the area around North Station. Celts/Bruins have been playing for full audiences for a while now, but what's changed very recently is that we're back to seeing people "make a day of it" packing into bars/restaurants before/after game time, whereas in the dead of winter and omicron, it seemed to be more of a get-in-get-out climate. I base this on a usual weekend stroll route that takes me by the garden, which I've been doing consistently and have observed the comparative change.

To your second point, I agree that over-promoting a loud club-like venue before it opens can be a recipe for neighborhood activism. But in this case I sense there was a weird effect (not sure if intentional or not). I think a lot of people (including myself) who read news too quickly thought that the concert venue was just going to be the track space itself during non-track meet times. Only recently did I realize that it was it was a totally separate space, and designed for much more of a club-like vibe (a la House of Blues). This one flew very nicely under the radar, if that was the goal.
Well said

Video of inside

It looks exactly the same as the house of blues imo.

Some photos from 3/20 AM: nice to see the road connection from Hichborn taking shape. Will be interesting to see what this area feels like 5 years from now when Allston Yards is mostly built out!

IMG_20220320_115759661_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_115804031_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_115902851_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_120000838_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_115909587_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_120009776_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_115919391_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_120005765_HDR.jpg

I’m surprised that the triple decker is sticking around. It feels like the last tenement over by the West End.

I love seeing them adding a new road creating a new connection in the street grid. This doesnt happen very often unless its a large redevelopment like the seaport. I wish there was a way to create more cross town connections in Boston because most roads go toward and away from downtown.

Good point. Boston is supposed to be the Athens of America, not the Rome of America. ;)

Saw LCD earlier this week at Roadrunner. Great sound, and the space really absorbed the crowd. Line was around the block to get in and I think security got us through in maybe 5 minutes. Good impression all around

I'd expect the tract here to attract top level collegiate meets beyond the ACC championship. Maybe the national championship?

I'd expect the tract here to attract top level collegiate meets beyond the ACC championship. Maybe the national championship?
The Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury is already a frequent host of the Indoor Nationals (most recently in 2015 and eight times since 2003). The BU indoor track is also considered among the fastest in the country, and Harvard's indoor track facility is ranked among the best in the country as well.

If there were ever some sort of city-wide multi-facility indoor track Olympics, it'd be an absolute no-brainer to host it in Boston.

I love seeing them adding a new road creating a new connection in the street grid. This doesnt happen very often unless its a large redevelopment like the seaport. I wish there was a way to create more cross town connections in Boston because most roads go toward and away from downtown.
To do that would require demolishing buildings. That would not go over very well in the neighborhoods.

Back