Boston Life Science Center - Blackfan Circle

lw.jpg

Did someone take a visit to the top of a parking garage with my favorite bar on the ground floor? :wink:

kz1000ps said:
Did someone take a visit to the top of a parking garage with my favorite bar on the ground floor? :wink:

The garage on Dalton St? Bukowski? Bukowski is one of my favorites too..

briv said:

Thats a really great picture. The skyline for this area of the city is more impressive than the skyline for most small/medium sized cities in the US. In fact, without knowing thats Boston, I would easily have believed thats that skyline for the downtown of a city with a population of 250,000.

Roxxma said:
kz1000ps said:

The garage on Dalton St? Bukowski? Bukowski is one of my favorites too..

I think the one in Inman Square is better than the Dalton St. one.

Bukowski's it is. Great atmosphere, GREAT music, and the $1.65 burger deal they have until 8 on weekdays is, well... great!

And I didn't know about the one in Inman Square. Usually if I'm in the area it's just to go to the Zeitgeist, but I'll have to stop in some time.

Aaaaand we have a peak

img5091ut6.jpg

img5108qv3.jpg

img5116nm8.jpg

img5120qg1.jpg

img5140me4.jpg

img5146no9.jpg

img5150sp1.jpg

img5151dx7.jpg

img5152tr0.jpg

img5156qi1.jpg

img5160os4.jpg

img5161ef4.jpg

F~@king imageshack took 45 minutes to upload these 12 images.. grrrrr

Great pics kz!!
I can't help but think how awesome Park Lane Apartments and the Renaissance Seaport Hotel would have looked if Fallon had used this sort of glass wall facade! With the views of the harbor and city, the residents should have had total glass walls in their apartments along with some balconies. Is glass so much more expensive than the precast facade he used?

yeah, i cant really see why it would take that much more money to build buildi8ngs like these versus those built on the seaport.

This building is looking really impressive against the sky. It is rising head and shoulders above its surroundings, and can be seen from across town and Cambridge. Its good to see another high rise cluster forming outside of downtown.

You can actually see it quite clearly on 93 coming over the hill at the Fells long before you can see the rest of Longwood.

The glass reflects its surroundings making the views more interesting and expansive. That would be great in the seaport. I too wish there were more glass in the new Boston developments.

It looks like the developers of 33 Arch Street, unable to find tenants, have dismantled the building and moved it Longwood.

^^^
Absolutely stunning buildings fronted in part by some butt-ugly parking garages!

I figured this is as good a place as any for this.

The Globe said:
Joslin halts plan for lab, high-rise
Puts Longwood site up for sale instead

By Christopher Rowland, Globe Staff | April 30, 2007

Just four months into his job as head of the Joslin Diabetes Center , Ranch Kimball has pulled the plug on the center's ambitious plan to build a new laboratory building and 29-story residential tower at its Longwood home.

Kimball, the center's first chief executive who is not a doctor, instead has put the development site up for sale, at an asking price of $20 million.

With the move, Kimball is abandoning a $225 million, 500,000-square-foot development project that has languished on the drawing boards since 2003, when Joslin won approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority . Kimball declined to discuss what he saw as the project's flaws or why Joslin had not yet started construction in four years since winning approval. He said he scrapped the plan "to get all of us a clean start."

The center's project manager, Keefe Co., still listed Joslin Place , as the complex would have been known, on its website yesterday. A call to company president Frank T. Keefe was not returned.

Kimball was the state's chief of economic development under Governor Mitt Romney . Before joining the Romney administration in 2004, Kimball ran a private equity firm for Kissinger McLarty Associates . Prior to that, he was a business consultant at Boston Consulting Group, specializing in technology, telecommunications, manufacturing, and media.

A statement from Joslin, a preeminent research and outpatient treatment clinic affiliated with Harvard Medical School , said when it hired Kimball in January that his business experience made him a strong choice to lead the center in the competitive healthcare marketplace.

He replaced Dr. C. Ronald Kahn , who stepped down in September after six years as Joslin's chief executive to return to full-time research.

The parcel Joslin is putting up for sale encompasses a high-visibility acre at the intersection of Longwood Avenue and Brookline Avenue , at the western edge of Longwood Medical Area . It currently houses a nearly vacant residential building with 84 apartments and a small retail building. The site has BRA approval for a new, nine-story laboratory, office, and clinic building; a residential tower with 150 new apartments, and a 350-space underground parking garage.

Joslin's new position is that it is willing to lease 60,000 to 75,000 square feet in the new complex from a developer who moves ahead with a new project, Kimball said. It also is willing to sell an additional building, a 1950s laboratory complex, and lease it back after it has been refurbished. A fact sheet for the proposed sale says developer responses are due to Joslin by May 14, and that it wants to select a buyer, negotiate terms, and close on the deal by Oct. 31.

Kimball said Joslin had done nothing with the development project in the months before he succeeded Kahn. "It was just on hold, waiting a restart with the new CEO," he said.

"The thing that we're most focused on is making sure that we have adequate space, and we need to update our lab facilities," he said.

"What we're talking about is for us a modest amount of research growth. Our role as a business partner will be minimal."

Christopher Rowland can be reached at crowland@globe.com.
Link

Back