Boston Nightlife

The reason that New York's subway is the only one in the world that runs all night is that maintenance is outrageously difficult/expensive with trains running nonstop.

Let's not forget that Boston had a night bus network, and it was axed by budget cuts...just a few short years ago.

Re: W Hotel

The problem is that people go for a given thing - a stop at the theatres (though decreasingly so as the Boston theatre industry dies its sad and lonely death) or (maybe) at one of those restaurants. There's no intent to hang out in the neighborhood, though. Visits are all about quick entrance and extraction.

But is that because that's all that Boston has to offer in the neighborhood? Cuz when I see other proposals outside of theater and dining, there's always a dispute as to why we shouldn't have anything different. I want to be proud of a city that offers flavor. A city that brings gratification to all people, not just a certain class. I'm not sure Boston does it for me.

There are other threads on this theme. Some of them from the olden days, maybe lost in the crash. Reading this one sent me over the edge. (Yet again, tonight.)

Boston has plenty of nightlife. Just because it isn't conveniently situated in one dynamic, packed, segregated locale (nor should it be) doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

(Cacao break needed.)

(Returning now... calmed.)

Be thankful for what you got there. Stop thinking, 'it's got to better everywhere else.' If you think that, find someplace else then.

The rest of the world doesn't stay open 24/7. You cannot just waltz out onto a street and find a party at 3am, even in NYC. You got to know where to go. Those places that exist for this kind of lifestyle aren't going to fall into your lap either.

A few people have piped in elsewhere that this 24/7 utopian party expectation in some cities is a myth perpetrated by tourist guidebooks. I tend to agree.

I grew up in Boston during the 70s. I had a BLAST! I never had a problem getting around, going to clubs, getting let in (at 14!), being hagdog and morose about not having a place to go after 1am, or getting home (to the inner burbs, no less) before the sun came up, all without a car (and without ever getting caught!).

Get off your asses. Stop being lazy. Be engaged with the party that surrounds you. Get out there. Find them. They exist. They won't just land in your lap. Oh, and it's not better in NYC. Or LA.

Certainly not in SF. People here pick a place to go and, if it sucks...they go home! WTF? The art of club hopping doesn't seem to exsist here.

Why arent you telling?

Why don't you know? One bar does not a nightlife make. One bar is character at best. Another location of theirs is a cop bar. Any number of restaurants within a short distance will sell you a beer after hours as well.

Who wants to go down there at night? I dunno. I would be a liar if I said I haven't. I'd also be a liar if I could remember a good reason for having gone.

Anyway. I dunno. Nightlife is more than boozing.

As for club hopping, I would be hard pressed to find a club worth going to if I found a good one in town. For me music has happened across the river for many years. Gone are the rock clubs in town. Allston may be the sole exception.

Back