Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

bosman said:
These NIMBY's who are saying that another 20+ story tower will destroy the history of the Back Bay aren't going to make it any easier.

Wasn't this parcel part of a railroad yard before the Prudential Center was built?

(Not that I really have any opinion one way or the other about the proper height for a building there)

Didn't one of the neighborhood association encourage this building to be taller?

History

I agree that nothing should be set in stone, but it is true, there was a plan for the Prudential Plaza ... shouldn't developers be required to stick with that plan?

How are you going to argue against a building's height when it's right next to the second tallest building in Boston?

The original plan is how old? why can't you update it?

This makes me wanna shoot somebody right in the face.

We're not talking about the original Prudential plan from the 1960s, but about the more recent one that brought us the mall, the Mandarin Oriental, 111 Huntington, etc. Sure, it can be changed again, but there should be a good reason for doing so.

Please control your violent urges.

Master Plans often help obstruct genuine progress and innovation.

But don't you agree that the most recent plan has greatly improved the Prudential?

This seems like a good project, and the back bay is rising. I don't see the problem with building a 24 story tower right next to a bunch buildings that are + 20 stories.
Bobby Digital

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:34 pm
How are you going to argue against a building's height when it's right next to the second tallest building in Boston?

The original plan is how old? why can't you update it?

This makes me wanna shoot somebody right in the face.
I completely agree with you, i feel like shooting some in the face too lol
And also I think this is definitely a good point.
ablarc
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:10 pm
Master Plans often help obstruct genuine progress and innovation.

When it comes down to it, sure their is a plan, but that doesn't mean it can't be modified. Plans aren't always gonna stay the same, something almost always comes up and changes have to be made. And this building would remain in prudential center, it's not like it is gonna be built right in the middle of Comm Ave in the residential neighborhoods or something.

Ron Newman said:
But don't you agree that the most recent plan has greatly improved the Prudential?

Yeah, so what? Is it utterly and absolutely perfect? The MP was completed almost 20 years ago, and - surprise! - market demands have changed since then. Should the regulations not be allowed to evolve too?

If community groups give Boston Properties a lot of trouble about trying to change a master plan (and I predict that they will) I will really be upset (maybe not as mad as Bobby_Digital, but upset nonetheless). Market demands change all the time, and if people can't adapt, then they will fail. Boston Properties wanting to add space to their plan just shows that they are adapting to the demand. They can't expand out, so they need to go up. The original plan never predicted that the market for office space would be this good in 2007, and because of that, they should be allowed to change there master plan.

I agree...times change, things rearrange, the market conditions are far from the same. It's insane that the Pru should be so constrained, in chains, by a vision 20 years old that no longer is so bold, what a shame! I'm just sayin, it's not like its proposed for the Hill, 20 stories fits the bill for the Boylston corridor. Right next door lie the Pru and 111, soaring high above the street, stretching further to the heavens. The NIMBYs and the NABB need to give it a rest, this proposal's for the best, it will help the city crest. So all you guys that say it's bad should just sit back and chill, I'll be glad if the city doesn't let this one get killed.

Yeah, I know, that was rough. But I thought I could add some spunk to the forum by trying to get my point across in a poem/rap 8)

ENCORE!
Lol
lexicon that was sick
don't even worry about it, this forum likes spunk!

Rendering of the short version of the tower. This thing could definitely use some more height, and I'd rather it come up against the street to complete the streetwall instead of creating another useless plaza in front.

bc2219_cp.jpg

lexicon506 said:
Rendering of the short version of the tower. This thing could definitely use some more height, and I'd rather it come up against the street to complete the streetwall instead of creating another useless plaza in front.
Agreed. NIMBYs need re-education so they can see with their eyes instead of with theories.

As proposed in the rendering, this building is wrong for its site.

Wow that is so short...Is this the final proposal or what???
That height definitely needs to be changed to a way higher height.

As of now, that is the final proposal, based on what was already approved. But Boston Properties wants to make the building taller, which might not happen.

Ya it looks so much worse than the original rendering I saw. Damn I hope they make that taller, it looks like an ugly little stub sticking out of the majestic Prudential center :)

ablarc said:
Agreed. NIMBYs need re-education so they can see with their eyes instead of with theories.

would that be reeducation through labor? i say let a thousand flowers bloom...

singbat said:
ablarc said:

would that be reeducation through labor?
No, through enlightenment. Enlightenment is freedom from delusion.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Back