Boston Skyline Photos

A little difficult to set up a tripod in the center of the BU Bridge now, but leaning on the truss nearer the end isn't so bad.

original.jpg

Great capture!

What are the towers in the second shot?

What are the towers in the second shot?

The new BU dorm is the tallest there (some other BU towers are in the photo as well). The Blackfan building and the Rest of the Longwood area is also visible. From some angles, it looks almost as if it's an entirely separate skyline.

I think the question is in regards to the three reddish towers.

Those are the government housing towers by Alewife in Cambridge. They don't look so bad in this shot!

Are these photos taken from the tower at Mt. Auburn Cemetery?

The three Rindge Towers are privately owned subsidized housing, not government-owned. The one closest to Route 16 has a different owner from the other two.

But they aren't in the 'second shot' so I don't think that's what the question was.

Yeah, I meant the third shot. And wow, those are the Alewife towers? They look so much better from a distance (and this angle, probably).

I actually like them a lot because they're like a slap in the face when entering Cambridge from Rt. 2 - "hey, suburbanites, you're in the city now, eat this!" You get the same effect on a larger scale when entering New York on Amtrak or via I-95 where Co-Op City marks the city line.

Growing up in Fitchburg wether we drove or took the train once I saw those towers I knew I was in the big city! Still get that feeling today! A clip from the Mt Aburn tower this might make you dizzy!

The Alewife towers look inoffensive from this angle because you are seeing them 'edge-on'.

Back