Boston Tea Party Museum | 306 Congress Street | Fort Point

Re: Boston Tea Party Museum

The Wicked article answers it. The size (of the 21st Century reproductions) is typical of cargo vessels of that era (18th Century). There were seven tea-carrying ships that sailed between England and the colonies. The Eleanor is a reproduction of the ship (not the Eleanor) that plied the Charleston SC route, and a ship for which HM Navy has very good plans.

The Beaver and Dartmouth were originally built as whalers. The Beaver was built at about the same time and location as the ship Columbia Rediviva. For a sketch, article, and dimensions of Columbia Rediviva, see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Rediviva

I think the current "Beaver" started life as a Scandanavian fishing trawler about 100 years ago!

Thanks for the link on the Columbia. I always wondered how you could build sailing ships on the North River. Now I know...they were tiny!

That's how Broad and Lechmere canals should have been developed :(

They clearly can all be "Spreed"

I would like to envision taking a walk about on a hot summer afternoon and then sitting down and essen und trinken die große bier while contemplating the "water sheet" activation [BRA-speak]

Fort Point
Broad Canal
Leachmere Canal
Fan Pier
edge of the Reserve Channel

I'm guessing they are meant to be representations for the tourists rather than replicas.

There probably weren't any 18th c. cargo ships too big for the harbor. Something this small would have been a coastal trading vessel, and probably would not have been full ship rigged due both to the manpower needed to handle the sheets and the small size of the hull.

Guys outside of major warships -- the 18th century ships were small -- long cargo ships date to the age of the Clipper that's 100 years later than the Tea Party

Check out the USS Constitution -- that was a big ship when it was launched at the end of the 18th Century
Tonnage: 1,576[4]
Displacement: 2,200 tons[4]
Length: 204 ft (62 m) (length overall);
175 ft (53 m) at waterline
Beam: 43 ft 6 in (13.26 m)
Height: foremast: 198 ft (60 m)
mainmast: 220 ft (67 m)
mizzenmast:172.5 ft (52.6 m)[2]
Draft: 21 ft (6.4 m) forward
23 ft (7.0 m) aft[4]

Grand opening will be Monday, June 25 at 6 pm, according to a mailing I received today from Boston Landmarks Orchestra. They will perform at the event. In case of rain, this will be postponed to Tuesday, June 26.

Last edited:

(bumping thread)

Grand opening ceremony and concert are supposed to be tonight, but the weather forecast looks dubious.

A tweet said the show must go on! Rain or shine.

Yep, the concert part got moved into the Atlantic Wharf lobby. Unnecessarily, as it turned out, but weather forecasting is not an exact science. (And now it's thunderstorming again.)

I was able to go to the Tea Party Museum yesterday and my views are much the same as Marg's. Check out her article in todays Herald. Great facility, but a little too much Disney for me. Tourist will love it, but the locals will give it a pass. Marg should have walked the Seaport and Fort Point area like the thousands of Tall Shippers and saved her $17 parking fee.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/co...ater_on_tea_party_museum/srvc=home&position=3

Capt's Cabin Beaver Boston 7/2

yesterday
july4th2012030.jpg
july4th2012033.jpg

Good pics, you two. A little mad I didn't get to the Seaport yesterday, so I missed this on the walk over. Made the mistake of going to Charlestown first -- which was a literal trap. It took forever to get back, and ultimately had to time to go anywhere else.

Has anyone else been here since they reopened? I took my sister a few months ago, and while just as hokey as you would expect its actually a pretty good museum. There were also a couple carpenters finishing up one of the ships I got to talk to which was enjoyable. The bar wasn't open when I went though, which I wanted to check out. They should try to open as an actual pub at night, they would likely make a killing.

I took my son there a week ago - he enjoyed it tremendously(he's 9).
I liked it too - a little too Disney, as mentioned, but pretty good overall.
Still impressed at how well they did talking portraits...
I haven't checked out the bar either - but yeah, it'll be very popular as a night spot...

Do they actually serve beer in there? When I went, it looked just like tea/coffee/baked good.

Back