Boston Tea Party Museum | 306 Congress Street | Fort Point

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
Ideas brewing to rebuild landmark
BOSTON
MICHAEL NAUGHTON
Published: September 20, 2010 1:35 a.m.
Last modified: September 20, 2010 1:37 a.m.

After a pair of fires closed and destroyed one of Boston?s most historic landmarks, city agencies are joining with a tour company to bring it back.

The new $25 million Boston Tea Party museum is expected to open in 2012 and will include a tavern, tea room and restaurant.

Funding for the museum will come from the city, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority and Historic Tours of America, the authority said in an announcement yesterday.

It was closed in 2001 after a lightening strike damaged the museum. Six years later it was destroyed in a two-alarm fire.

Nearly 500,000 people are expected to visit the new museum annually when it opens off of the Congress Street Bridge near the site of the 1773 rebellion.
- http://www.metro.us/boston/local/article/639526--ideas-brewing-to-rebuild-landmark
Also found in today's Metro.

I think there may be a thread somewhere already, but the search feature just brings up every single thread on the forum no matter what my search terms are.

Re: Boston Tea Party Museum

^^I don't know why, but you need to do an 'advanced search' in order for the search function to be useful.

Will Sarah Palin attend the ribbon cutting ceremony?

Given the hour this is being posted, guess few read the Globe these days.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/04/17/new_boston_museum_to_grace_tea_party_site/

video, interactive graphic, history of the project.

Sounds interesting, though I am sure that some here will object to the BCEC and the city picking up about 90 percent of the construction cost.

I suspect it will be a popular draw, and open in time for Sarah Palin to watch Obama's concession speech in 2012 as she stands triumphant on the deck of the Beaver, and throws chests of birth certificates into the harbor. <jk>

I see ads, but no images or video?

I see ads, but no images or video?
I can't resurrect the links, even using browser history.

Basically, the video was of shipwrights working on restoring the Beaver. The hull was being scraped, and the main deck replaced.

The interactive was a visual tour through the rebuilt museum (which will have three ships docked to the pier).

And there was a link to a timeline of the Tea Party museum over the years.

Woah, faux-historicism plus Disneyland in Boston!

?We?re bringing the museum and the site into the 22nd century. There?s nothing else like this in Boston,? said Shawn Ford, vice president of Historic Tours of America, which owns the site. ?We are going to showcase Boston to millions of people. This is a good project. It?s good for the city.?

I suppose this might be accurate. The way development goes, it may well be the 22nd century by the time the doors re-open here.

showing some steel (2nd to last pix) today
004-14.jpg
005-18.jpg
006-21.jpg
007-16.jpg
008-12.jpg

Will the exhibit have bells to ring to warn the British?

It will have a full time holographic representation of Sarah Palin updated daily to keep the obsessive media distracted from reporting on the real issues at hand. Political corruption, economic meltdown, three wars, global political turmoil, wait wait wait Sarah Palin said something garbled? OMFGZ! WE NEEDZ TO COVERZ THAT NOWWWWW 24-7-365!11111!!!!!

...the real issues at hand. Political corruption, economic meltdown, three wars, global political turmoil,

^^^i.e., the stellar results of the current occupant of the White House

^^^i.e., the stellar results of the current occupant of the White House

Meh, even with someone different in office, the whole world is going to shit right now. Meanwhile the media is too busy and obsessed with juvenile tabloid bullshit to actually cover major news stories.

Someone could find a cure for all types of cancer and the media would be too busy reporting on some pop star's kitten climbing a tree to say boo about it. Hell, multiple local shootings are getting 15 second sound bytes on TV in favor of 5 minute segments on trapped ducklings in another state these days on "local" news.

Back