Boston Tea Party Museum | 306 Congress Street | Fort Point

Re: Boston Tea Party Museum

When it comes to Boston historical sites (even ones like this that are no where near where the event took place), I never want to see "modern".

This is a destination about history, and people want it to reflect that history as best as possible. I have had so many tourists ask me where the Tea Party is over the years. These travelers I think would be really disappointed to find some odd shaped glass structure with LEDs all over. Also, 3 revolutionary war era ships docked adjacent to some spaceship would seem ridiculous.

Opinion.

The museum is surprisingly close to the actual site of the Boston Tea Party on Griffin's Wharf.

Last month, using GPS coordinates confirmed by leading researcher John Robertson of North Carolina, I visited (and commemorated) the closest inland location to the best-known site of Griffin's Wharf — and the BTP.

The spot is at the exterior "Associate's Entrance" of the Intercontinental hotel, off Atlantic Ave in an alley between the IC and Atlantic Wharf. This exact location is +/- a dozen yards within the GPS coordinates, and therefore is the closest (current) public location at Griffin's Wharf.

The Tea Party Museum is within view from this spot.

The museum is surprisingly close to the actual site of the Boston Tea Party on Griffin's Wharf.

Last month, using GPS coordinates confirmed by leading researcher John Robertson of North Carolina, I visited (and commemorated) the closest inland location to the best-known site of Griffin's Wharf — and the BTP.

The spot is at the exterior "Associate's Entrance" of the Intercontinental hotel, off Atlantic Ave in an alley between the IC and Atlantic Wharf. This exact location is +/- a dozen yards within the GPS coordinates, and therefore is the closest (current) public location at Griffin's Wharf.

The Tea Party Museum is within view from this spot.

So you're saying there's actually a reason for people to go to The Intercontinental now???

I guess there is at least one reason.

When Equity or Boston Properties were considering renaming Russia Wharf as "Atlantic Wharf," seems "Griffin's Wharf" would have been a much better choice.

I guess there is at least one reason.

When Equity or Boston Properties were considering renaming Russia Wharf as "Atlantic Wharf," seems "Griffin's Wharf" would have been a much better choice.

Sicil -- I like that GPS work -- only problem is that where did the coordinates come from

That whole area has been reconstructed several times since the revolutionary period:
1) filling went on in the early 19th Century from Fort Hill (International Place) south to the remnant of the South Bay (Fort Point Channel)
2) Great Boston Fire of 1872 swept away all the structures in that area -- very close to the epicenter
3) most of sites of the burned older buildings reconstructed by about 1880
4) Congress St was realigned and Atlantic Ave was put through in the late 19th Century
5) current "Russia Wharf building" was constructed just before the turn of the 20th century (1897-1898)

the authoritative A. E. Downes map from 1899 interestingly doesn't identify any wharf as being with Russia from Love or anyone else -- However the 3 preserved buildings -- aka "Russia Wharf" at the intersection of Atlantic and Congress are clearly shown

http://maps.bpl.org/download?image=06_01_004003

I didn't identify any structures, I used my GPS to identify the location on earth where the Tea Party took place.

My coordinates were derived (and confirmed) by John Robertson. A link to his research is included with my original post.

For good measure, my friend and I also visited and photographed each of the other sites that historians have claimed to be the modern day location (now inland) where Griffin's Wharf once existed in Boston Harbor.

Robertson's research is fairly conclusive. Check it out.

046-1.jpg
052-1.jpg

The museum has chosen white canvas to cover the catwalks, not the green in their rendering. Looks good though IMO.

Today 4-5-2012

Note the white canvas covering the catwalks as referenced in the previous post.

IMG_0398.jpg

Nice pic! Gonna look real sweet when the Tea Party Ships are docked there!

Apparently they will be obtaining a liquor license. I can happily envision sitting on that deck, beer in hand.

Apparently they will be obtaining a liquor license. I can happily envision sitting on that deck, beer in hand.

Yup potential to be a great spot. Hopefully this will spur some movement on the Northern Ave Bridge.

Toss in a few Biergärten und Wunderbares you have the Spree banks near Alexanderplatz in Berlin

Spree6.JPG

^ Is that place named DDR? Really?

^ Is that place named DDR? Really?

Communism is a major tourist thing in Berlin:

1) a restored bit of the Wall with recreated art
2) Museum of Check-point Charlie
3) Museum of Communism
4) Alexanderplatz has Marx and Engels and there are a few other statues
5) quite a few shops and restaurants with names playing on the the Commie-shtick or perhaps Commie-chic

Marx-Engels-Forum01.jpg

I've been told that the statue has permanent urine stains and its kinda-high for dogs

yes very nice now if they could reskin the old stone webber building or what ever it used to be called!

Stone and Webster..... let engineers design their own building and what do you get? Just look up.

That's really nice.

Looks a bit more at home in rural New Hampshire down by the lake than it does as an 18th Century Boston waterfront where the T-Party could have happened.

However, just as soon as the ships are at the dock, I'm sure it will fit right in as a tourist vignette in the Boston mosaic.

I know this is going to sound like "let the trees grow in," but this really is a time problem and not a design one. Give it a few decades to weather and it'll be a nice complement to the towers in the background - joining the Barking Crab in giving the harbor a quaintly ramshackle, completely New England vibe. Rockport-with-Skyscrapers.

Back