Boutique Hotel at 88 North Washington St | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

pajnYUGh.png

I hate to say this .. .but I wish it was one story taller so that it didn't just miss the height of the adjacent building. It looks like an "oops".

cca

ps ...yes ... drink.

In 2D, the height discrepancy looks a little crappy, but I think the finished three-dimensional product will look awesome. I think striving for the same height as adjacent buildings really only works when the whole neighborhood/block are consistent... like D.C. or Paris. When you've got the 5-6 story North End buildings one block and then 40-50 story towers going up a block away, varying heights in between is okay.

Lovejoy Wharf's two buildings are 1-2 stories different; look how handsome those turned out.

I hear you. As I designer I want it to totally match ... or totally not match. Right now its a bit ... eeehhh ... did they really want to match but couldn't?

cca

I have a friend who lives at Strata (bought over a decade ago) and all he does is complain about all the development in the area. I'm just like dude, you bought a condo that overlooks a bunch of vacant lots that were either scheduled to be developed or prime opportunities for development. Nothing from me but crocodile tears.

I have a friend who lives at Strata (bought over a decade ago) and all he does is complain about all the development in the area. I'm just like dude, you bought a condo that overlooks a bunch of vacant lots that were either scheduled to be developed or prime opportunities for development. Nothing from me but crocodile tears.

Still requires ZBA approval.

Please pardon the thread bump. This fantastic boutique hotel project was approved by ZBA on May 9th. I'm wondering if anyone can speculate about whether construction might begin soon, or if there will be more delays.

The grievance manifesto from the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association is rich (haha).

included here.....

https://northendwaterfront.com/2017...on-street-hotel-88nowa-approved-zoning-board/

"Continuing to oppose the hotel project is the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) in the letter shown below. The resident group contends the hotel introduces several dangerous precedents and threatens public safety. With the flurry of development activity in the Bulfinch Triangle / North Station area, NEWRA points out the hotel would make a congested intersection even worse for pedestrians on N. Washington Street. Further, the group says the hotel is still too large for the small corner parcel and strongly opposes the overhang of the public sidewalk."

https://northendwaterfront.com/2017...on-street-hotel-88nowa-approved-zoning-board/

"Continuing to oppose the hotel project is the North End / Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) in the letter shown below. The resident group contends the hotel introduces several dangerous precedents and threatens public safety. With the flurry of development activity in the Bulfinch Triangle / North Station area, NEWRA points out the hotel would make a congested intersection even worse for pedestrians on N. Washington Street. Further, the group says the hotel is still too large for the small corner parcel and strongly opposes the overhang of the public sidewalk."

Every word of that opposition could have been written about the Marriott Moxy Hotel, Tremont and Stuart in the Theatre District. Except is wasn't because we locals support development in the area.

Build it!

That Northend Waterfront Association letter is ludicrous.

Every single point is written as if by a crazy person who doesn't understand they live in a city, or at least feels like they've got theirs and no one else should.

"Threatens public safety."

What's the over/under on how many deaths are caused in the first 12 months of operations? I'll start the wagering at a conservative estimate of several dozen.

Has the North End Watefront Association ever supported any new development near or in their neighborhood? Seems like the West End group or the Beacon Hill neighborhood react the same way to any project in their immediate area.

They've shaved off a floor. Compare this with the elevation at the top of the page. Or have they added a floor? The poor quality of this "new" rendering makes me think it might actually be the older of the two.

The poor quality of this "new" rendering makes me think it might actually be the older of the two.

It makes me wonder why a 4+ month old thread was revived without explanation.

Back