Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

Nouvel11thRound.jpg

Was this an earlier rendering? I like it more than what we're seeing now (which is not terrible, just not quite as interesting).

Was this an earlier rendering? I like it more than what we're seeing now (which is not terrible, just not quite as interesting).

Not quite sure if you understand that is a real building by the famed architect Jean Nouvel. Van was saying it's sort of a ripoff of this pre-existing building.

Not quite sure if you understand that is a real building by the famed architect Jean Nouvel. Van was saying it's sort of a ripoff of this pre-existing building.

Nope--didn't understand that. thanks.

Plenty of room for a Target as that Anchor retail store. Though, I'd love to see it be a Walmart, just because it would annoy more people.

Speaking as someone who's had to drive into below ground loading docks downtown, I have to say, the throughway design, with the loading dock at ground level with a separate entrance (off 'new street') and exit (onto kilmarnock) is gorgeous.

My only concern is that these designs won't relate well to the other new midrise projects built on Boylston recently: Trinity and 1330. They should be going for some kind of commonality to give the area an identity rather that the stylistic chaos that mars the Longwood area.

Since when does this forum pine for banality?

Since when does this forum pine for banality?

Funny, I felt the same reading the comments concerning the green building shown in the Fan Pier thread. I actually like the renderings of the complex (if I'm not mistaken, Nouvel's apartment building is close to the highline in NYC and it's stunning) and the green monster across from Fan Pier and the Moakley Courthouse, wow, that is wild!

^ exactly. I felt the same thing. The buildign is kinda weird and is some how reminiscent of a strange modern greek village IMO, but it is thinking big and interesting which people on this board are always pining for more of. When creativity in an idea is actually shown, now we think it is bad. I will never understand what is going on in the people on this board's heads.

One person's post also does not represent "the forum's" collective opinion either.

Funny, I felt the same reading the comments concerning the green building shown in the Fan Pier thread. I actually like the renderings of the complex (if I'm not mistaken, Nouvel's apartment building is close to the highline in NYC and it's stunning) and the green monster across from Fan Pier and the Moakley Courthouse, wow, that is wild!

Renderings are great and all, but what is that actual intent for execution?

While I didn't like the mass of the Mandarin, I thought the cladding was interesting based on the renderings and documentation. And then I fucking saw it.

So, call me a doubter but I'd like something more than a sketch by Intern X.

^ exactly. I felt the same thing. The buildign is kinda weird and is some how reminiscent of a strange modern greek village IMO, but it is thinking big and interesting which people on this board are always pining for more of. When creativity in an idea is actually shown, now we think it is bad. I will never understand what is going on in the people on this board's heads.

The issue with that concept is its location, not its design.

So, time for a betting pool.

Will the anchor be:

a) Target
b) Wal-mart
c) The biggest titty bar in the world
d) Other

Target makes more sense. I don't think anything is set in stone, more like they just threw in the name in the rendering as a concept.

A Target in the Fenway would be a perfect fit and will probably be very successful given the local population.

A Target in the Fenway would be a perfect fit and will probably be very successful given the local population.

It honestly doesn't get anymore ideal than a Target in the Fenway. It would probably be one of the best things to happen retail-wise in Boston in this decade.

But does Target want to be there? Walmart is making a very strong push for urban stores. Target is slacking. Target already has 4 stores in te area, walmart does not.

The fact is, 2 entire floors means the amount of tenants that want that space is quite limited. Besides big boxes, that leaves.......Nordstrom?

But does Target want to be there? Walmart is making a very strong push for urban stores. Target is slacking. Target already has 4 stores in te area, walmart does not.

The fact is, 2 entire floors means the amount of tenants that want that space is quite limited. Besides big boxes, that leaves.......Nordstrom?

Fenway, Roxbury projects signaling retail resurgence
By Jenn Abelson
Globe Staff / May 25, 2010

High-profile merchant Target Corp. and natural-foods grocer Whole Foods Market Inc. are eyeing major expansions in the Fenway, while Kohl?s Corp. is considering a smaller version of its discount department store in Roxbury ? all signs of a renewed optimism in the Hub retail market.
?We see the economy is getting a little better this year and people are thinking about expansions, new locations, and new concepts,?? Menino said. ?Whole Foods, Target, and CB2 ? they?re really excited about the Fenway area. They see the demographic and the great potential with the medical centers and college students.??
Although no deals have been finalized, Target, Whole Foods, and CB2 have been in serious negotiations for months to move into a planned complex at the Goodyear site located at 1345 Boylston St. and an adjacent property at 1325 Boylston St., according to city officials, including Susan Elsbree, a spokeswoman for the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

Target is considering a three-story urban format with upwards of 130,000 square feet, which would make the store one of just about 40 Target shops nationwide that are spread over multiple floors or have a unique floor plan, the officials said. The project will soon start the permitting process, and developers are hoping to complete the site over the next three years.

http://www.boston.com/business/arti...roxbury_projects_signaling_retail_resurgence/

other possibility's include a whole foods.

Doesn't the Fens already have a Whole Foods?

And besides, this would be a great opportunity for Samuels to think outside the box in terms of anchor stores. If this is going to happen in the next three years, make sure that it's done right. Maybe Samuels can fill Fenway Triangle with some independent stores. Not Mom and Pop, but maybe independent retail that defines the neighborhood.

Back