Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

But does Target want to be there? Walmart is making a very strong push for urban stores. Target is slacking. Target already has 4 stores in te area, walmart does not.

The fact is, 2 entire floors means the amount of tenants that want that space is quite limited. Besides big boxes, that leaves.......Nordstrom?

The tens (hundreds depending on how far you widen the scope) of thousands of college students in Boston have longed for a Target that is actually rapid-transit accessible (none of that bus to South Bay Center bs) for years. I don't see how they couldn't jump on this opportunity. Yeah, Bed Bath & Beyond will have some new competition, but they can coexist (South Bay Center).

Everyone knows how I feel about Nordstrom (Boston desperately needs one), but it would just be a silly misstep for the Fenway Triangle.

Also, CB2 (Crate and Barrel 2) would be GREAT in Boston, but not quite in this location. It would do alright, but that opportunity for a major big-box would be missed.

When did we all start getting hard ons for "major big boxes"?

Also, this location isn't exactly the best for transit-accessibility. Buy a piece of furniture here and you're walking an annoying distance to Green Line stops at either Fenway or Kenmore. If you want a Target or something, much better a vertical location in one of the hollowed-out buildings in all-lines-meet-here DTC.

When did we all start getting hard ons for "major big boxes"?

Also, this location isn't exactly the best for transit-accessibility. Buy a piece of furniture here and you're walking an annoying distance to Green Line stops at either Fenway or Kenmore. If you want a Target or something, much better a vertical location in one of the hollowed-out buildings in all-lines-meet-here DTC.
"Downtown" would be a better term than "rapid-transit accessible," but the green line is definitely close enough and it's in walking distance for many colleges. Anything would be better than sketchy bus to SBC.

I'm getting this "hard-on" for big-box in terms of convenience and the economy. Both would be driven by the immense number of college students in the area. It would bring great local jobs and of course generate revenue.

Save Nordstrom for Filenes.

Whole foods would be a bad choice because of shaws across the street. On the other hand, it would allow the shaws to close and that ugly building to be redeveloped.

are you referring to the 8, the 10, or the 16?

Maybe he's referring to the oh-so-terrifying 3 minute shuttle from Andrew :rolleyes:

You guys clearly have no clue how college students experience boston do you? South Bay is off the radar of most freshman students.

You guys clearly have no clue how college students experience boston do you? South Bay is off the radar of most freshman students.
Exactly. I knew it existed as a freshman and I knew Boston growing up, but it is literally off the radar and the buses don't help at all. No one is going to go to SBC, buy expensive things, and drag them through the ghetto. Meanwhile, downtown you can just prance out of the Apple store carrying a $3000 computer.

We have a car now (3rd year) and I can drive to SBC. But my partner is often is using it for work/sch and that leaves me at the mercy of the T or walking and it puts SBC back out of the picture.

Yea I'd say almost all college kids, especially out of towners, are never more than a mile away from the Charles.

Yea I'd say almost all college kids, especially out of towners, are never more than a mile away from the Charles.

Exactly. The good side is they're mostly confined to the Green Line corridor in Boston and Mass Ave corridor in Cambridge.

On the flip side, it's so saturated with them. Sometimes I feel if they'd disperse just a bit more it'd be better for everyone.

So is bunker hill, revere beach, the christian science center....etc.

Freshman dont know what the city has to offer? Not a surprise. They're new. It takes time to explore.

Anyway, isnt the center etting a stop on the indigo line? Bam, non-scary mass transit.

The Christian Science Center? Really?

...and it's probably a good thing that Revere Beach is off their radar.
Freshman dont know what the city has to offer? Not a surprise. They're new. It takes time to explore.
Hard to explore an area (and rather discouraging) when your school sends out safety alerts everyday about people getting stabbed and shot in that area.

Anyway, isnt the center etting a stop on the indigo line? Bam, non-scary mass transit.
The indigo line is moving forward?

The Christian Science Center? Really?

...and it's probably a good thing that Revere Beach is off their radar.

Hard to explore an area (and rather discouraging) when your school sends out safety alerts everyday about people getting stabbed and shot in that area.

The indigo line is moving forward?

stops are under construction, but it will only be expanded service commuter rail until south station expands.

I would like to say the college kids are aware of the places. Just not very interested. I mean Christian Science Center is pretty, but nothing to do. Bunker Hill, I'm not really sure what to do there either. Revere Beach is targeted by a few, but the old reputation of being dirty keeps many away (and this is not exactly a beach city).

I would like to say the college kids are aware of the places. Just not very interested. I mean Christian Science Center is pretty, but nothing to do. Bunker Hill, I'm not really sure what to do there either. Revere Beach is targeted by a few, but the old reputation of being dirty keeps many away (and this is not exactly a beach city).

Im talking about people that have never heard of these places. Yes, if you go to NU or Berkeley, you know of christan science center plaza...but BU, Harvard, BC, MIT etc? Not really.

And why would out-of-city college freshman know about the revere beach reputation? Personally, Ive taken dates there, and theyve loved it. They had no idea there was a nice beach so close to the city.

Heres another example, in December, I went on a date with a senior at Lesley. She'd never been on the esplanade, had no idea what it was. To be fair, when I went to BU, I didn't know of it until the end of freshman year....and again, I went to freaking BU.

The only point being....Boston has a whole lot of places to go, places to shop, and things to see. And if they're not called "Boston Common" or "Faneuil Hall" most new residents have no idea they exist. And why should they? It takes time to explore a city, even to find the various Targets.

Im talking about people that have never heard of these places. Yes, if you go to NU or Berkeley, you know of christan science center plaza...but BU, Harvard, BC, MIT etc? Not really.

And why would out-of-city college freshman know about the revere beach reputation? Personally, Ive taken dates there, and theyve loved it. They had no idea there was a nice beach so close to the city.

Again for the Christian Science thing... What's to do there. Does NEU (why did they changed that to NU? I always liked NEU better) and Berkeley hang out there alot. From my understanding, it's just a pretty place. I'm sure there some pictures of my friends taking pictures in that area, but that's it. You go through it, take a few pictures with it in the background and move on (I should go verify that...).

As for Revere Beach, the ones in the know hear about it from local students. Unfortunately many also follow up with a joke of getting a tetanus shot too.

Heres another example, in December, I went on a date with a senior at Lesley. She'd never been on the esplanade, had no idea what it was. To be fair, when I went to BU, I didn't know of it until the end of freshman year....and again, I went to freaking BU.

The only point being....Boston has a whole lot of places to go, places to shop, and things to see. And if they're not called "Boston Common" or "Faneuil Hall" most new residents have no idea they exist. And why should they? It takes time to explore a city, even to find the various Targets.

First, how did you manage to not find about the Esplanade till the end of your freshman year? I guess I can admit in ability to image learning where all the local Targets and the existence of the Christian Science Center isn't high on the list, but the Esplanade is right there... I mean, I know some who never really learned about Boston, but they also tended to put all their time into studying and little else.

Also, please don't take offensive, but you're a guy? I always thought you were a girl for some reason.

You'd be hard pressed to find a girl around here.

Again for the Christian Science thing... What's to do there. Does NEU (why did they changed that to NU? I always liked NEU better) and Berkeley hang out there alot. From my understanding, it's just a pretty place. I'm sure there some pictures of my friends taking pictures in that area, but that's it. You go through it, take a few pictures with it in the background and move on (I should go verify that...).

As for Revere Beach, the ones in the know hear about it from local students. Unfortunately many also follow up with a joke of getting a tetanus shot too.

First, how did you manage to not find about the Esplanade till the end of your freshman year? I guess I can admit in ability to image learning where all the local Targets and the existence of the Christian Science Center isn't high on the list, but the Esplanade is right there... I mean, I know some who never really learned about Boston, but they also tended to put all their time into studying and little else.

Also, please don't take offensive, but you're a guy? I always thought you were a girl for some reason.

Don't let John Keith and high school rumors turn you off revere beach, I think it makes for a great few hours of enjoyment.

I actually lived in the Hyatt as a freshman, so I walked OVER the esplanade every day on the BU beach. Since the stairs on the bridge lead to storrow drive, and there appears to be no way to cross storrow, I just assumed it was a strip of greenery that couldnt be reached.

And since I was familiar with the weeds and dirt path on the cambridge side, I didnt feel I was missing much. The area by the Hyatt is especially ugly.

I'd guess for other BU students it's the same. There's bay state road, and then behind the buildings, the alley (back street) and a highway. Not much reason to go exploring back there.

Girls? On the internet? Nope.

There are more examples of places that even after 4 years, I was surprised my friends had never heard about, like the 24 hour boston bowling alley.

Back