Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: 1325-1341 Boylston St (Fenway Triangle/Former Goodyear Tire)

The Fenway. The BEST NEIGHBORHOOD in Boston / Massachusetts.

You heard it here, first.

Meh, I'll take my South End townhouse over a Fenway French Flat any day. At least until I need knee replacement surgery anyway. Respite from drunk sports fans, college students, and a plethora of restaurants in a Victorian brick wonderland is quite pleasant.

Though, everything is getting really expensive and pretentious. So sometimes I do look back on the days of the block being half burnt out as the good old days.

re: Esplanade/BU

There is a direct connection from BU's central campus at the BU Beach to the Esplanade. I think most BU students were, in fact, aware of it. I had a few professors who held their classes on the Esplanade in Spring/Fall when the weather permitted. BU is also pretty much ground zero for the Regatta.

I do think the connection to the river could be vastly improved by an updated pedestrian bridge, though. But this one will do:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...kYmLJ3bVvv9pHWjrQDRnFg&cbp=12,346.73,,0,10.66

The Fenway. The BEST NEIGHBORHOOD in Boston / Massachusetts.

Honestly it's always been my favorite. I always like to walk through it and imagine it when it was filled with upper-middle class families; a much more genteel scene no doubt.

Last edited:

a much more gentile scene no doubt.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't know if the Fens is the best section in Boston...it's definitely a nice neighborhood don't get me wrong...I think that Charlestown is the best section...laff if you want

Wow. I'm a genius.

Boston magazine names Fenway one of its annual "Best Places to Live"

Buyers used to shy away from this rowdy student neighborhood. But over the past decade, as the Red Sox won championships, the team?s front office invested in the area. That led other developers here, too, bringing swanky restaurants and condos with them. Fenway today is a terrific value: $500 per square foot versus $700-plus for the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, says Michael DiMella, managing partner of Charlesgate Realty. Where you should be looking: The quiet side streets behind Boylston: Peterborough, Queensberry, and Park Drive.

The units don?t have a high occupancy, which means students aren?t likely to congregate there, and the streets offer a smattering of useful services: laundry, small markets, and hidden-gem eateries, such as Church.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best_places_to_live/articles/best_places_to_live/page2

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

I guess we're easily impressed. A tilted roof here, some haphazardly arranged windows there.

What's not to like about this? While it's not a revolutionary design, it's attractive and is different than what we've been getting as of late. I think most would agree Trilogy and 1330 are both decent but not amazing designs...I think this very good, not great. I really like the thinner tower (if that's what you want to call it) and the roof garden...but I really like that the developer didn't resort to the 1330 "Giant Blank Wall" design.

It's cool to look at this neighborhood on maps.live.com in the "Bird's Eye View" mode...especially when considering projects like this. I hope the neighborhood continues to fill in because it's looking like the best newly-developing neighborhood in Boston. This is what the South Boston Waterfront should have been.

My point was yours - that it was good, not great...which is why I didn't get all the ooh and ahhs. We've set a low bar when an adequate building garners so much praise.

This is what the South Boston Waterfront should have been.

And why wasn't it? Conflicting expectations about its need to be an office/entertainment/convention district rather than a residential one? The very layout of the street grid? The lack of nearby urban context to keep development consistent with?

as the Red Sox won championships, the team?s front office invested in the area

Can someone refresh my recollection as to what the team did to cause the development boom on Boylston? Did they actually invest in / build one of these buildings? Or is that article giving undue credit to ballpark renovations for fueling this (as if more fans crowding local streets would be an attraction).

Can someone refresh my recollection as to what the team did to cause the development boom on Boylston? Did they actually invest in / build one of these buildings? Or is that article giving undue credit to ballpark renovations for fueling this (as if more fans crowding local streets would be an attraction).

The new ownership rebuilt the existing park and greatly enhanced the pedestrian experience on the immediately surrounding streets. If the ownership had pushed for a new park surrounded by Baseball Disneyland, we'd be crowing about giant parking lots and garages murdering urbanity. The ownership also took an active stance with developers to trade land parcels to encourage new non baseball centric projects more often than blocking projects.

The new owners (who were not allowed to build a new park, thank you NIMBY's), made Fenway Park seem somewhat modern again. They added new concession stands, added seats, and now they have THREE modern HD scoreboards for this year. Plus, with the impending building of Rosenthal's Fenway Center and this project, you have an ownership who has made the effort to include the neighborhood, as well as pedestrian traffic into the area.

Also, for all the years that the 'New Fenway Park' proposal still lived, it froze any development of the multiple city blocks where it would have been built. The neighborhood could regenerate only after that threat was removed.

They added new concession stands, added seats, and now they have THREE modern HD scoreboards for this year.

This is exactly the kind of unconnected thing I thought the article might have been talking about, but thanks for all the other examples of what the ownership has done.

And why wasn't it? Conflicting expectations about its need to be an office/entertainment/convention district rather than a residential one? The very layout of the street grid? The lack of nearby urban context to keep development consistent with?
I think the answer to this can be found in the answer to your follow-up question. Fenway has a big, semi-permanent tenant, committed to the idea that the area should evoke urban vibrancy. None of the seaport land owners fall under that description.

Development in the Fenway over the past ten years happened despite the Red Sox, not because of them.

I don't know that you can say that John. My thesis is that the presence of a revitalizing Fenway Park acted as an anchor of sorts, that drew in new development. That can happen whether or not the RedSox actively encourage these projects.

[edit]
Maybe catalyst is a better word. Either way, the idea is that the presence of Fenway Park uniquely establishes the location as ripe for development.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Back