Boynton Yards | 99-101 South/808 Windsor | Somerville

IMG_2930.jpeg
IMG_2919.jpeg
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2911.jpeg

It is crazy to me that these are still permitted across such an expensive, well-developed part of the metro area. Say what you will about new build vs old-world "charm", but any place that has a knot of power lines running through the streets looks like it belongs in the developing world. It's nuts.

It is crazy to me that these are still permitted across such an expensive, well-developed part of the metro area. Say what you will about new build vs old-world "charm", but any place that has a knot of power lines running through the streets looks like it belongs in the developing world. It's nuts.

Why fix what isn't broken? They just kinda fade into the background when you live around them. Besides, Somerville is only 15-20 years removed from being referred to as Slummerville and has plenty of higher priority concerns: stormwater mitigation, rats, street safety etc. Not to mention the costs are so astronomical that even far more affluent communities like Brookline decided against it.

To be clear, this is entirely an aesthetic argument on my part, akin to "Seaport is soulless" or "South End row houses look pretty" or "street-walls are good". Maybe it's not worth the expense to remediate, but it's unfathomable, personally, to pay like $600/sf to live on a street that looks like it's running illegal power and cable from house to house.

Verging on the unrelated, but does anyone know if Back Bay and other late-19th century developments used to have exposed lines that were then buried, or something else? It's just jarring to see in otherwise "cool" or expensive parts of the city.

They just kinda fade into the background when you live around them.
I dont even notice them in pictures until someone mentions them, then I’m like oh yea thats right and they pop into focus. Youre right seeing them every day in Dorchester makes them become invisible to my eyes.

I dont even notice them in pictures until someone mentions them, then I’m like oh yea thats right and they pop into focus. Youre right seeing them every day in Dorchester makes them become invisible to my eyes.
I really hate power and utility lines, and I always see them immediately when composing a photo. Europe does this so much better than us here in the USA.

I really hate power and utility lines, and I always see them immediately when composing a photo. Europe does this so much better than us here in the USA.

Europe was also forced to rebuild many of their large cities in the 50s-60s. The areas that Boston rebuilt around then are blissfully wire free… but otherwise crappy.

Back