Boynton Yards | 99-101 South/808 Windsor | Somerville

New heights for Boynton Yards.

FB082A14-15D5-4C88-B1A2-0033ECB90DC8.jpeg
180065CA-F262-44A1-8405-BB526B6C6132.jpeg
27C3E6EC-B7E4-4D20-B7EE-E896796CF4F6.jpeg

GLX to…Boynton Yards. Do you think it will be confusing when people say, “take the green line to Union Sq and then go to Boynton Yards”? Why not call it all Union Sq? It’d be like have 2 different districts in Kendall Sq., except an even smaller area. Either way, probably one of those good problems.

7EFBBB7F-FCC5-4BD9-98B7-85831A7DA070.jpeg

GLX to…Boynton Yards. Do you think it will be confusing when people say, “take the green line to Union Sq and then go to Boynton Yards”? Why not call it all Union Sq? It’d be like have 2 different districts in Kendall Sq., except an even smaller area. Either way, probably one of those good problems.

View attachment 33781

Boynton Yards is a development brand name, like Cambridge Crossing.

Boynton Yards Celebrates Topping Off of 808 Windsor Street in Somerville
808-Windsor-Street.jpg

“SOMERVILLE, MA— DLJ Real Estate Capital Partners (DLJ RECP), Deutsche Finance Group (DFG), Leggat McCall Properties (LMP), and Shawmut Design and Construction were joined by Somerville Mayor Katjana Ballantyne to commemorate the steel topping off milestone at 808 Windsor Street, the second purpose-built Class-A lab building in Somerville as part of the Boynton Yards 1.8 million square foot mixed-use life sciences and innovation community.

Set to be completed in early 2024, the 370,000 square-foot, purpose-built building will span 11 floors and offer state-of-the-art R&D lab/office space and ground floor retail. Amenities will include four levels of below-grade parking, a mobility/bike room as well as community-based and activated green space. With an energy-efficient and sustainable design, the building will achieve LEED Platinum certification.”
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/b...ping-off-of-808-windsor-street-in-somerville/

This actually might work. The new brew Portico looks great.

It does, but if you're going to do brew pubs there you need to build more housing in Boynton Yards and make the streets more logical to get back to it. It's a long way from Cambridge and Webster.

Otherwise it's basically a cafeteria for the lab employees.

That last picture... it's stunning to me that the Target parcel hasn't appeared for redevelopment yet.

It does, but if you're going to do brew pubs there you need to build more housing in Boynton Yards and make the streets more logical to get back to it. It's a long way from Cambridge and Webster.

That last picture... it's stunning to me that the Target parcel hasn't appeared for redevelopment yet.
I was riding my bike by there last week when it was warm and I was thinking how cool it would be if they redeveloped that Target and its huge parking lot into a large combo residential tower with a new multi-level Target, keeping all the same retail space, as well as an incorporated parking garage for it and residents. I was picturing something at least as tall and twice as wide as the US2 multi-colored tower up the street. Perfectly walkable to T stops, bike-friendly roads, and of course for those that work in Boynton Yards or US. It's exactly what this neighborhood needs and sooner than later.

I was riding my bike by there last week when it was warm and I was thinking how cool it would be if they redeveloped that Target and its huge parking lot into a large combo residential tower with a new multi-level Target, keeping all the same retail space, as well as an incorporated parking garage for it and residents. I was picturing something at least as tall and twice as wide as the US2 multi-colored tower up the street. Perfectly walkable to T stops, bike-friendly roads, and of course for those that work in Boynton Yards or US. It's exactly what this neighborhood needs and sooner than later.

I don't think it will be quite that tall (though I don't think heights there are set by the Union Square plan), but something like that will probably happen at some point. I just would have expected it to be proposed already.

Incidentally, the current one is not a full Target - it doesn't have a full grocery section, for example. A new Fenway-style store could essentially add a grocery store to a neighborhood that currently lacks one (Market Basket is a long way away and Star Market is on the other side of the train tracks).

Yes and no. There’s actually a whole neighborhood of single family’s, triple deckers, and dense housing right next to this on the Cambridge line. Many places are getting upgraded and reno’d. Not to mention…more buildings and public spaces are coming soon…

IMG_1642.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg

Back