Brigham Building for the Future | LMA | Fenway

14673747992_a221a842b3_b.jpg

No pics but walked by today and they are finishing up the 4th floor. As Beeline's last picture shows, the floor plates are really huge, which helps explain the sluggish pace. This project probably won't be a terribly exciting one to follow for at least a couple more months...

No pics again but the pace of this has really picked up! A full 7 floors of steel have now been erected, with tons of workers on site today. Probably worth peeking in on for anyone who is near the area.

This one is beginning to show itself from Tremont street (Anyone with good zoom should go for it)

10714357_799910433386175_1792908577161897539_o.jpg

From yesterday. Looks like 9 full floors of steel are up.

That's some ugly looking glazing I spy on the first floor. Straight out of a 1960s suburban low-rise.

If this had floor to ceiling transparent glass, the cantilevered edges of the floor plates could have made this building a lot lighter looking.

15584877678_7aa107d958_z.jpg

Looks as if there will be a skybridge between the two buildings.

At some point in the not so distant future, the owners of all those houses on Fernwood Rd. will be offered a ridiculous price, and the neighborhood will be torn down and replaced with medical buildings.

^^ My thought exactly, but they are also building a tunnel under Fernwood (see pix 3 above). This could be used by people or for utilities, I'm not sure which.

Am I the only person who thinks the Brigham Women's tower in the background, composed of the four cylindrical elements, should be torn down before the houses on Fernwood?

15584877678_7aa107d958_z.jpg

At some point in the not so distant future, the owners of all those houses on Fernwood Rd. will be offered a ridiculous price, and the neighborhood will be torn down and replaced with medical buildings.

BWH and HMS own a lot of that area already, I believe... look back on archive.org and old Crimson articles from the 60s and 70s to review the history of this area. The medical establishment bought up the whole neighborhood, deliberately didn't maintain the properties and then tried to have the whole area declared blighted. it's how they expanded and the neighborhood (as the Roxbury Tenants of Harvard, the name that still is affixed all over this area), fought them and got them to build the public housing that exists now (they were just going to move everyone on out with no local replacement housing).

The Roxbury Tenants are pretty organized, and further territorial expansion is still a touchy subject round here.

Back