Brigham Building for the Future | LMA | Fenway

Hadn't been on the Mission Hill part of Tremont in a long time, was heading north today and the building is a shrinking change when looking north from before hitting brigham circle..looks weird... I like the little houses on francis but now they feel even more incongruous.

Hadn't been on the Mission Hill part of Tremont in a long time, was heading north today and the building is a shrinking change when looking north from before hitting brigham circle..looks weird... I like the little houses on francis but now they feel even more incongruous.

Yeah, on the other side, I was driving home one evening this week and from the Jamaica Way, the building is adding context to the residential tower (whose name escapes me) next door. It doesn't feel as tall, but definitely makes those smaller houses in that development feel very very out of place. It seems like they were built as a lower-income suburban 'oasis' when we should've been building a walkable street grid to match even the existing 3-4 story brick buildings nearby.

The building itself definitely feels like just another boring, institutional box. I'm just happy to see more infill projects and it gives me something to look at whenever I take the lazy way home on the 39.

The boxiest aspect will be masked somewhat by the residential tower, at least from the Riverway.

Most hospital buildings aren't that great, but some are decent - Lunder and Wang are nice at MGH, and I like the new Farber building on Brookline. That new research building at Brookline & Longwood actually looks very nice from down in the valley part of Longwood by Louis Pasteur.

16850396594_cd5703b979_b.jpg

From last weekend. Note the core next door.

I actually like this building quite a bit. I really disliked the Shapiro Center, but with the new building complementing it they look nice together as well.

Are utility hoods on labs and hospitals getting bigger and is it at all helping to dampen the low drone of HVAC that often hangs around these types of buildings?

Are utility hoods on labs and hospitals getting bigger and is it at all helping to dampen the low drone of HVAC that often hangs around these types of buildings?

I assume by utility hoods, you mean MEP penthouses. To answer your question, yes they are getting bigger because the demand load for the program is getting bigger. More and more specialty applications are demanding "clean room" grade air purification and making the MEP penthouses absolutely gigantic to house the huge equipment required.

Just a lab building being a lab building. Which is why it is seaporty. The parts and proportions are the same.

cca

Just a lab building being a lab building. Which is why it is seaporty. The parts and proportions are the same.

cca

Yup. Not complaining. Just exists as it does. It's not offensive at all.

Back