Brookline Infill and Small Developments

Coolidge Corner Theater expansion. The brick was changed from white in the rendering to a roman brick color. I think the color change is disappointing but the undulating brick patterns work is amazing!

View attachment 35167 View attachment 35169

View attachment 35168

The cut steel to form the wave in the wall looks a little pricey$$ The weld on that masonry lintel looks a little sketchy though. A continuous weld would let me sleep better at night.

View attachment 35170 View attachment 35171

That is a big addition! Looks like its doubling the size of the building!

View attachment 35172

I'm overjoyed about the Coolidge Corner Theatre and how well it is doing these days. It was so close to extinction a decade or so ago. It's a true jewel and an incredible cultural resource for an area that appreciates it. A perfect match.

I’ve always been curious about when this building would be demolished for new development. Walked by today and The Brookline Superette at 18 Pleasant St, Coolidge Corner, was having a sidewalk View attachment 344View attachment 345

sale and 50% off everything inside. Asked the shop keeper inside and indeed it’s making way for something new. Found this article. Nothing finalized as of yet it seems. https://brookline.wickedlocal.com/n...durgin-development-progresses?template=ampart

Update. The building is wrapped in scrim. Peices of the building must be falling off

IMG_4090.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG

Saving an International Style cantilever roof. I'm excited to see the investment to save this classic entry! Hopefully the new patch of concrete actually becomes part of the structure and not just a patch that can separate in a couple years. Looks like some of the balconies will need work soon.

IMG_4054.JPG

Driscoll school update. Looks like the majority of terra cotta is complete. Overall I like the size, massing and terra cotta but disappointed in the choice of "wood grain" panels to finish the window projections.

IMG_4105.JPG

Washington Street
IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

Side alley
IMG_4122.JPG

Westbourne Terrace
IMG_4143.JPG

Northwest side
IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

Northwest side /Washington Street
IMG_4192.JPG

Original bldg. Cool but getting tired.
IMG_4170.JPG

Unsurprising but still disappointing that new SFH builds in North Brookline are permitted...

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think SFHs in and of themselves are the enemy of urbanists. You can find them in residential sectors of much larger cities than Boston such as NYC, London, Tokyo, etc.

The enemy is large lot sizes, minimum sizes for front yards, back yards, and empty space along the sides, subdivisions, zoning that forbids retail and commercial space near SFHs, no sidewalks, no nearby transit etc. etc.

The Brookline house would be cooler if it were right up against the sidewalk. Since it has a garage, I don’t know why it needs a big driveway or so much frontage. However, it’s a cool design and otherwise doesn’t take up much space. It isn’t nearly as wasteful as something like these in Andover. If you could fill every inch of Boston’s suburbs with houses like that, we’d be in good shape.

Last edited:
While perhaps not related enough to the thread topic, I think the comment is a little too real to be written off as “political nonsense”. That kind of cognitive dissonance RandomWalk describes is very common in this metropolitan area.
A little too real? The poster imagined a scenario that didnt exist in the picture

Erland Construction Completes 350,000 sf of Residential Space for Chestnut Hill Realty
1683903550678.jpeg
Erland-CHR-scaled.jpeg

Hancock%20Village%20Shopping%20Center.jpg

Com%20Ctr.%20Prop%20Mgmt_Page_2.jpg

1683903676868.jpeg

“Brookline, MA–Erland Construction, alongside The Architectural Team and WaypointKLA, recently completed 350,000 sf of residential space for Chestnut Hill Realty.

Located in Brookline, Hancock Village now has an additional 211 apartment units and a new community center. Situated on 80 acres of beautifully landscaped property abutting conservation land, the newly constructed properties feature high-end finishes and the latest amenities.

“The completion of the Josiah Bartlett Building, Hancock Village Community Center, Townhomes #1-11, and the John Adams Building marks an exciting time for our residents and team members alike,” said Ed Zuker, Founder and CEO of Chestnut Hill Realty. “As a leading owner and manager of multifamily communities in New England, Chestnut Hill Realty could not be happier with how these new buildings came together. Erland understood our needs and vision for our residents and delivered an exceptional end product.”

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/e...f-residential-space-for-chestnut-hill-realty/

https://www.chr-apartments.com/hancock-village-apartments#undefined

Thanks for the update, I knew it was under construction but hadn't seen news in a long time. Why would it take 50 years to reopen a closed footbridge over a centuries-old rail ROW?

As the Brookline Tab reported in 2006, the bridge’s “closure and the plans to restore it have caused an ongoing political battle between green space advocates who would like to see it reopened, and neighboring opponents who think it should remain closed for fears of increasing crime to the area.”

Never change, Brookline. We all know criminals are too stupid to, like, walk 6 minutes out to Longwood and cross over the tracks on that side.

Back