Brookline Infill and Small Developments

Benjamin franklin building progress in hancock village, chestnut hill.

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0528.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

https://erland.com/all/projects/benjamin-franklin-building-sherman-at-hancock-village

All of the Chestnut Hill commercial area has been influenced by that. You can't exit the Wegman's onto Florence Street because Brookline threatened to literally dead-end Heath Street at the town line if Newton allowed it.

Also - cast shadows on what? The site is across the street from a cemetery, and the office block currently on the site is the tallest thing around.
Interesting. I always thought it was weird that Wegman's didn't have access via Florence St, but I figured it was the local Newton residents that prevented that. Makes more sense now.

Damn… that house is working the John Bellairs vibe. Did it get trapped in probate, or did the owners not give a damn?

Reactions: FK4
Update. The building is wrapped in scrim. Peices of the building must be falling off

View attachment 37225View attachment 37226
No pictures, but the garage in Coolidge Corner was gone/ demolished when I drove by yesterday! Just found this link - Waldo - Durgin
Just looked in the Town o Brookline permits, just a demo permit, the building is still in review - Next Public Hearing Deadline for closing Public Hearing - 04/13/25

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been posted. Nice-looking infill in Brookline Village. Will be a 4 story Little Children's daycare center.

1722372972192.png

1722373266109.png

The abutter concerns read as such typical Brookline nonsense:

"Concern over the number of diapers produced per day and whether the diapers are disposable or if the center washes diapers. Little Children's clarified that they do not wash diapers and walked the attendees through their process for disposal of diapers."

It's a bad faith concern. There are daycares all over town and yet we don't have smelly diaper complaints about them. Like all clever NIMBY bs, it's couched in something that seems prima facie reasonable, but deeper thought will reveal that it is of course something that is accounted for by law, code, and local gov't.

Back