Brookline Infill and Small Developments

The Pierce Public School, Brookline. The historic portion is a classic. The new addition is I believe is a1970s modern, sort of Utopian open plan complex/ social experiment. Not a failed experiment but more of the wrong application. Anyway, the demolition has started.
IMG_6183.JPG
IMG_6175.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6179.JPG
    IMG_6179.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6198.JPG
    IMG_6198.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
40 Centre Street Brookline- Elderly housing development. The brick is a nice touch instead of all panel system. The rigid insulation behind the masonry is concerningly thin!! I hope there is more R-value on the stud constrction or we will have some cold seniors. This whole street is basically a concentration of elderly housing developments/business, not a bad thing considering the street is a walkable neigborhood with an active social area one block over on Harvard Street.
IMG_6218.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6222.JPG
    IMG_6222.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6224.JPG
    IMG_6224.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6226.JPG
    IMG_6226.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6231.JPG
    IMG_6231.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
This whole street is basically a concentration of elderly housing developments/business, not a bad thing considering the street is a walkable neigborhood with an active social area one block over on Harvard Street.
It does raise the question of why, seemingly, Brookline only permits large multi-family buildings if they are 55+ restricted, including 32 Marion St. nearby.

40 Centre Street Brookline- Elderly housing development. The brick is a nice touch instead of all panel system. The rigid insulation behind the masonry is concerningly thin!! I hope there is more R-value on the stud constrction or we will have some cold seniors. This whole street is basically a concentration of elderly housing developments/business, not a bad thing considering the street is a walkable neigborhood with an active social area one block over on Harvard Street. View attachment 55277

My mom and dad used to live at 100 Centre Street before moving to an assisted living facility.

You are spot on about that strip being a good center for elderly housing - - what many don't think about is that it makes it far more efficient for 1-2 hour caregivers to be able to book 4 or 5 clients in a concentrated area in a single day. In this respect this is "Smart Planning".

Back