BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.

I'm in full agreement. That makes complete sense - - that's where it is!

"Kenmore Square" put images in peoples' minds that really didn't jibe with the location of this project. And, when discussing the building's context with the surroundings, it certainly did matter.

So now I'm curious how people differentiate BU Central and BU East. I've always just looked at the campus as East and West, separated by the large dead area/pike/bridge.

I know there is a Central T stop, but if we're going by that this lot is actually further east than the BU East T stop.

So now I'm curious how people differentiate BU Central and BU East. I've always just looked at the campus as East and West, separated by the large dead area/pike/bridge.

I know there is a Central T stop, but if we're going by that this lot is actually further east than the BU East T stop.

Hmmm...I'd say once you get to the CAS building up to the BU Bridge you're in Central Campus, so that would include Warren Towers, the Dugout, GSU, law school, etc. That would leave South Campus as anything on the other side of the Pike down to Beacon St. West Campus is BU Bridge out to Babcock/sports complex while East is Myles and the BU Bookstore area up to where this building is being proposed to be built.

Hmmm...I'd say once you get to the CAS building up to the BU Bridge you're in Central Campus, so that would include Warren Towers, the Dugout, GSU, law school, etc. That would leave South Campus as anything on the other side of the Pike down to Beacon St. West Campus is BU Bridge out to Babcock/sports complex while East is Myles and the BU Bookstore area up to where this building is being proposed to be built.

You ae all operating on the false assumption that BU actually has a "campus".

This is pretty much how they layout the campus on the maps.

There was discussion about eliminating BU East and combining it with BU Central at one point. I always felt this would have been a good idea to keep the Green Line moving more efficiently through the Central campus area and getting people into Kenmore quicker. Not sure why that planned stalled out.

Saw the thread bump–

expected to hear this p.o.s. building was summarily executed.

That write up belongs in the Onion.

Saw the thread bump–

expected to hear this p.o.s. building was summarily executed.

That write up belongs in the Onion.

Instead we end up with another lazy and predictable response from you.

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

What neighborhood would you put it in?

There's parts of Boston that don't have neighborhoods. Ever since the Germanic impulse to categorize everything, under the (false) assumption that all things can be equalized and organized into similar component bits, we've been going more and more hog wild in the West with defining every last little bit of everything... including neighborhoods. Hence, people going ballistic when you try to explain what "Chestnut Hill" is, since God forbid there is a geographic entity that actually dares to span three separate municipalities. I think it's probably even worse in New England, since we don't have unincorporated territory and everything actually is divided up into some town or city.

But the reality is that some places are neighborhoods, but in other areas, the intersection, square, or local institution dominates people's on-the-ground conception of where they actually are. Longwood Medical Area used to be Roxbury, but nobody would call it that now. Oddly enough, Allston as an entity has a pretty hazy history and only developed in anyone's mind as a place designation after a whimsical railroad station name. Even growing up, I always heard of "Allston-Brighton" and it wasn't until my teenage years when I spent time there that I developed a conception of Allston as a really separate place. It would be interesting to know what "Allston" meant before the rise of the college neighborhood - what did people think of when you said that name in 1945? The college neighborhood thing, plus the 1980s chamber of commerce "Allston Village" have markedly increased the presence of this place as an entity.

Anyway, 02135/02134/02115 "borders" or not, I think most people who live around here (I mean north Brookline and Allston proper, whatever that is) would say Allston ends somewhere around Packard's Corner. Plus, most people probably don't know a decent chunk of BU was part of Brookline and was only taken to establish a connection to Brighton... so it's hard to really, technically, call it Allston. They wouldn't call it Kenmore - Kenmore isn't really a neighborhood either, it's just Kenmore and the few streets around it. I suppose if you pinned them down, they might say BU is technically Allston, but would never call it that. It's just "BU". No neighborhood.

^Nope, was named after a painter who painted the area near what the RR Co named the Allston Station.

^Nope, was named after a painter who painted the area near what the RR Co named the Allston Station.

Yes, was just reading that on Wikipedia. Washington Allston.

SC178580.jpg

Washington Allston, self-portrait circa 1805, on view at the MFA. Allston was a graduate of Harvard, and Phi Beta Kappa.

A short biography.
https://americanart.si.edu/artist/washington-allston-5740

This building will cast its ugly shadow on another town.... If we're gonna be casting shadows on other people's towns, how about casting a les homely, rectangular shadow on Brookline Village from a 495' tower at 45 Worthington Street instead #just be a city.

No no. Fake news.
It is named after Navon Stein who ran a bakery (with ersatz Russian caviar sold on the side) at the corner of Harvard Ave and Commonwealth around 1919.

This building will cast its ugly shadow on another town.... If we're gonna be casting shadows on other people's towns, how about casting a less-homely, rectangular
shadow on Brookline Village from a 495' tower at 45 Worthington Street instead #just be a city.

Wtf? I wouldn't be opposed to 45 Worthington if it resurfaced but shitting on a vibrant and desirable neighborhood isn't the way to win followers for your crusade.

Back