BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Taking a few days to reflect... and I still like everything above the base from all angles and even across the water and I could even live with the base with some relatively minor changes that might make a big aesthetic difference.

Personally though I would have gone with a base that tried more to blend in with the surrounding architecture as if it had been there forever and then gone with the tower rising up out of it.

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 700 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

I've come back to this image a few times this morning. This is good work; I particularly enjoy the tension between opaque and transparent surfaces, and the shifting, interlocking geometry. The red sandstone is fresh! Here's the sort of thing I wish we were getting at North Station.

At first blush, the proportions and vibe of the Neutelings Riedijk tower felt familiar, but I couldn't remember why; I had to sit with it (and a big coffee). And after an hour it dawned on me, one of my favorite buildings on Harvard's campus. Some of you may wonder what I've been putting in my coffee...
Is this from the same people that did the Back Bay Station proposal?

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 700 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Is this from the same people that did the Back Bay Station proposal?

If you're referring to this proposal, I don't believe KPMB has anything to do with it.

EDIT: Just dug into the "Back Bay Garage Tower" thread and I believe Pelli Clark and Pelli are responsible for the design of Boston Properties' proposal.

Last edited:

Personally though I would have gone with a base that tried more to blend in with the surrounding architecture as if it had been there forever and then gone with the tower rising up out of it.

Agree completely. Can't put my finger on it but for some reason this thing just doesn't fit the location. Having the base blend more might go a long way.

For those aren't enamored with the base, is it the non-traditional cladding/window treatments, the overhang, the "ramp" expressed on the facade, or something else? Would you prefer masonry or terra cotta cladding with windows, a glass curtain-wall (without the diagonal brise soleil fins), or something else?

For those aren't enamored with the base, is it the non-traditional cladding/window treatments, the overhang, the "ramp" expressed on the facade, or something else? Would you prefer masonry or terra cotta cladding with windows, a glass curtain-wall (without the diagonal brise soleil fins), or something else?

The window treatments combined with the ramp scream "parking garage". Off the top of my head I'd like to see an homage to either its red brick neighbors to the East and North (Bay State Road) or something akin to the stone design of the College of Arts and Sciences next door. Would be a good transition streetwise with something more like the Museum aan de Stroom pictures from earlier in the thread above it.

Thoughtful interpretation.

i believe the project needs a complete redesign. How about an attractive terracotta patterned or glass tower.
If they really love the long street wall, can it be built underground?

Agree completely. Can't put my finger on it but for some reason this thing just doesn't fit the location. Having the base blend more might go a long way.

I would love this along the Mass Pike in Brighton.

I have nothing good to say about it on Commonwealth Avenue.

BTW, the thread title is misleading - - it is not in, or of, Kenmore Square. Berklee College of Music is as close to Kenmore Square in the other direction as this is.

Last edited:

This building just screams "Look at me! I'm different!" for no good reason. I know it's possible to make something that is both modern and that blends in with its neighbors. This is not it.

Agreed. I stated this same point in the other thread, that it was contextually wrong for a cohesive campus. A different podium might work to ameliorate that issue, but really, I just think this building belongs over by Boston Landing. Over there, I think it would work, and look really good.

I actually like the base quite well, but it is a big part of the problem with my sense that the building doesn't fit the BU campus. In the abstract, it's a building I can get behind, just not as located.

I actually like the base quite well, but it is a big part of the problem with my sense that the building doesn't fit well. In the abstract, it's a building I can get behind, just not as located.

I feel the same way about Piano's addition to the Gardner Museum. I love the building, frequent the concert hall, but have never warmed to its presence next to the Palace.

BTW, the thread title is misleading - - it is not in, or of, Kenmore Square. Berklee College of Music is as close to Kenmore Square in the other direction as this is.

What neighborhood would you put it in?

Allston?

Fenway?

Personally I just consider this stretch "BU."

"BU Central/Lot N" would be most "geographically" accurate.

What neighborhood would you put it in?

First off, the Mods do a fantastic job, I'm just putting in my two cents, but to your question:

I agree with Justin and Breton - - certainly not "Kenmore Square".

665 Commonwealth Ave is accurate. "Kenmore Square" blurs a lot of lines there. Plenty of thread titles simply have the address. I find it helpful when there is a further area notation if the project is actually in the area.
But this is 3 x closer to Storrow Drive than it is to Kenmore Square, and that would confuse matters also.

Perhaps "Across from Warren Towers" or nothing else at all, really.

P.S. - cjbski's tongue in cheek pun is funny, but I agree in that sense - - I too would RELOCATE the building as is to Allston (along the Pike). ;)

Last edited:
Fenway-Kenmore.

The zip code really helps here. Also the resident parking signs behind it on Bay State Rd.

Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.

Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.

No, I like BU Central. That helps people visualize where on Comm Ave this is.

Back