BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 700 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

shrink the floorplates by 50% and go up ten more floors.

^^precisely.

In the BU Today article, they claim this will be the tallest building on campus at 297'. I feel like StuVi2 is taller, but I can't find a single document online that contains the actual height of that building.....

StuVi2 is either 331' or 332'.

Levels 1 & 2 have fewer occupants, so there are fewer fixtures required on those floors, so the gang toilets have 1 toilet, 1 urinal.

How does the first floor of a building open to the public have less occupants? Thats the busiest bathroom!

Someone on reddit posted this building (Museum aan de Stroom):

mas.jpg

I've come back to this image a few times this morning. This is good work; I particularly enjoy the tension between opaque and transparent surfaces, and the shifting, interlocking geometry. The red sandstone is fresh! Here's the sort of thing I wish we were getting at North Station.

At first blush, the proportions and vibe of the Neutelings Riedijk tower felt familiar, but I couldn't remember why; I had to sit with it (and a big coffee). And after an hour it dawned on me, one of my favorite buildings on Harvard's campus. Some of you may wonder what I've been putting in my coffee...

How in the world can two buildings have the same street address?!

700 Comm. Ave. was originally given to the Warren Towers, & they are still standing there. What gives?

At first blush, the proportions and vibe of the Neutelings Riedijk tower felt familiar, but I couldn't remember why; I had to sit with it (and a big coffee). And after an hour it dawned on me, one of my favorite buildings on Harvard's campus. Some of you may wonder what I've been putting in my coffee...

Indeed!

one of my favorite buildings on Harvard's campus. Some of you may wonder what I've been putting in my coffee...

We were walking by this the other day and one of my friends mentioned that the only redeeming quality of this building is that it will probably survive nuclear war :)

As far BU proposal: I must say I started with 'yuck!' but somehow over the last couple of day it has grown on me a lot and now I am thinking it might actually be pretty cool. A lot will depend on the quality of materials though...

For what it's worth, I hated this design when I first saw it a couple years ago, but it's grown on me quite a bit since then.

In the BU Today article, they claim this will be the tallest building on campus at 297'. I feel like StuVi2 is taller, but I can't find a single document online that contains the actual height of that building - anyone know where I can find it? Also, the text in the PNF says the building will be, "...305 feet, [approximately] 70 feet higher than the School of Law." However, the cross-section diagram puts the top of the building at 291'.

The BU Today article also said that this build will bring the Math and Computer Science Departments under one roof, so I think we can question how familiar the author is with the campus.

The BU Today article also said that this build will bring the Math and Computer Science Departments under one roof, so I think we can question how familiar the author is with the campus.

Maybe they meant "under one roof that is not a 100 year old converted industrial building".

Pretty awful, in my opinion. Looks like a stack of cardboard boxes...making it boxy.

How does the first floor of a building open to the public have less occupants? Thats the busiest bathroom!

The majority of occupants are considered transient in lobby or seating areas.

The renderings are low quality and kind of dull. I don’t think that’s helping to provide a realistic view of how this building will appear.

True, but that massing just doesnt jive with anything when looking across the water. When your near it theres enough shapes to kind of blend it in, and it actually looks cool from a distance on land, but from the waterfront it doesnt flow at all. Idk I guess wait for better renders or cross your fingers n wait n see how it turns out. Im sure it will grow on me its just sooo different.

1 men room stall per floor? How is that legal?

I piss anywhere, man!

Love this building. But its does throw shade on the rest of the campus architecture, which looks el-drabbo by comparison!

The majority of occupants are considered transient in lobby or seating areas.

As a public restroom connoisseur, I can guarantee the busiest bathrooms are always on the first floor, and any architect not accounting for this is a fraud

low quality and kind of dull....

and drab, squat and turdy. Don't be afraid reach for the quiver of Boston adjectives.

and the added bonus that there's no end in sight.

and drab, squat and turdy. Don't be afraid reach for the quiver of Boston adjectives.

and the added bonus that there's no end in sight.

I’m not sure I understand what this even means.
However, observing that you’re someone who thrives on sweet nothings, does it really matter?

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

I think it looks cool from the BU Central angle.

Back