BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

I read the Wikipedia article on phallic architecture once, and I was surprised when it started listing the Empire State Building, Leaning Tower of Pisa, and Washington Monument as examples. How in the world do those count as phallic architecture? In that case every skyscraper might as well be a phallus, just because it's sticking up out of the ground. :rolleyes:

We need more triangles.

Just to give credit where credit is due, @kz1000ps captured one of my favorite construction shots in awhile and it's at the top of this page ;).

But agree @mdd, it is a really interesting vantage point. I especially like it because, at least for me, it's totally messes with my mental map of this location, in which BU's campus is sitting parallel across the river. Instead, somehow the sinuous Charles places this new core smack dab in the middle of this length of Mem Drive.
When I first saw that picture I had to go to Google maps and try and figure out how this could be possible!

The Charles River is very curvy in places. There are specific spots on Memorial Drive inbound where the river is to your right but you can see parts of the skyline by looking left!

The Charles River is very curvy in places. There are specific spots on Memorial Drive inbound where the river is to your right but you can see parts of the skyline by looking left!
I always get confused when driving down the section of Soldiers Field Rd that goes due south, where you can look left and see Back Bay across Cambridge.

Just to give credit where credit is due, @kz1000ps captured one of my favorite construction shots in awhile and it's at the top of this page ;).

But agree @mdd, it is a really interesting vantage point. I especially like it because, at least for me, it's totally messes with my mental map of this location, in which BU's campus is sitting parallel across the river. Instead, somehow the sinuous Charles places this new core smack dab in the middle of this length of Mem Drive.

Totally missed that one, sorry!

Sections of the steel structure have been removed today after the incident last week. Major work was to begin Monday in two shifts so this will no doubt push back the construction timeline as repairs are made.

Last edited:
^^ Yup, especially compared to a a 1960s dorm/residential, a modern lab's floor-to-floor is gonna be approaching 2:1

Sunday, 5/16:

F12E034A-BF19-48CC-8605-5C0348C929C9.jpeg
9C711CAB-FBA4-4BF4-9EA9-78CCAE631102.jpeg
952281C7-C40F-4465-AB8C-C48B5EE09C0F.jpeg

Today, from the Memorial Drive pedestrian overpass:

08F0158C-7635-4895-B412-C1F3C45AB32B.jpeg

I wanna know what the worker standing right next to it when it fell could have been doing. That video is wild.

Well that explains why the site has gone pretty much silent in the past week - OSHA has launched an investigation into Suffolk construction.

All these pics with the core and no steel...why? Did they goof on procuring the steel? I know the core is very strong, but 200 feet straight up with no lateral supports doesn't seem like a smart play.

All these pics with the core and no steel...why? Did they goof on procuring the steel? I know the core is very strong, but 200 feet straight up with no lateral supports doesn't seem like a smart play.
It's relatively common for projects to not start putting steel up until the core is done.

Also, the core provides the steel with lateral support, not the other way around.

The apartment tower in CX's Lot I went to almost 240' without any steel accompaniment throughout the winter. Plus, as @JumboBuc stated, the core is a support component of the steel. ;)

Back