BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

I love that area of BU. What are the status of the other dorm tower proposal? (wasn't there a few more?)

Stuvi 3 (to go between 1 and 2) is planned for around 2016. I dont think a rendering has been put out, but we can assume itll look the same as the other two.

Besides that....nothing really planned dorm-wise. I guess some redoing of the oldest dorms is in order.

Some classroom space is planned, but not in the next two years

I have also heard BU have plans for a new computer science building to be built on the parking lot near BU East station/Warren Towers (used to have McDonalds there I think). I hope it will get built very soon, but with the economy and take it takes to build it, I'll sadly be long graduated.

The sad truth is that many a university student witnesses construction for a building start without getting to experience any of the tangible benefits (but often feeling many of the disruptions). Some even pass right through schools without seeing construction begin or end. It's inevitable the uni will hit them up to fund the project regardless of how annoying it was to deal with or whether they got to experience its fruits.

Considering that students usually only spend 4 years at a university, that's not all that absurd. 4 years is a very reasonable time for a construction project to start and end. Yeah, they'll get hit by the bill, but isn't the whole point to help give the students behind them an even better experience?

I'm currently in grad school at a university which started a construction project before I entered and won't be finished with it until about two years after I'm gone. I've had to deal with its noise and ugliness the whole time I've been here, with hardly a reciprocal benefit (the university seriously gives out apples once in awhile as a mitigation benefit).

Yeah, they'll get hit by the bill, but isn't the whole point to help give the students behind them an even better experience?

Why should I care about future students? I'm supposed to pay for someone to have better facilities than I did? "Oh, I was so happy with the education that this university deemed inferior for lacking this building, here's more money to support its construction so that others I don't know can enjoy this place far more".

Well, maybe if I actually liked the school, my attitude would be different.

I'm currently in grad school at a university which started a construction project before I entered and won't be finished with it until about two years after I'm gone. I've had to deal with its noise and ugliness the whole time I've been here, with hardly a reciprocal benefit (the university seriously gives out apples once in awhile as a mitigation benefit).

Why should I care about future students? I'm supposed to pay for someone to have better facilities than I did? "Oh, I was so happy with the education that this university deemed inferior for lacking this building, here's more money to support its construction so that others I don't know can enjoy this place far more".

You can always put off school for two years or so and then come back until the construction end. =D

Ha, no that's just what the university says that you should think. Not kidding, they actually told us at a tour of KU that "Some students who voted for and paid higher fees never actually got to use their new recreation center. Goes to show that KU really is a community of people who really care about eachother."

Although, cz, it's impossible to please every student. Would you have preferred the construction be finished before you were a student? Well, the people before would have had the same issue you do. You are right, though, you really shouldn't have to pay for it if it'll never benefit you.

I agree. The idea of donating to a university after paying tuition baffles me.

Come on. Try to see the bigger picture. Your predecessors had a hand in enabling you to receive your education, and you should do be willing to demonstrate some gratitude by doing the same for future generations.

It surprises me that members of an architecture and construction forum are complaining about it.

I agree. The idea of donating to a university after paying tuition baffles me.

The way i see it is that, the better the school looks (see: ranks) 10 years after graduation, then the better you will look in your professional career.

Now whether there is any truth to that i don't know, but again, that's just the way it looks to me.

Ten years after your graduation you had better hope that your career is off the ground in a way that you're not relying on your academic achievements like Andy Bernard on "The Office" spouting off about Cornell.

No one knows where most successful people went to school. Guess where our two senators went to law school after Harvard and Yale? UVa and BC, respectively.

Come on. Try to see the bigger picture. Your predecessors had a hand in enabling you to receive your education, and you should do be willing to demonstrate some gratitude by doing the same for future generations.

But why should future generations have the right to a better or more comfortable generation? My predecessors made an active decision to improve the school for future generations (perhaps, or maybe they were hounded by donation committees too). Why am I bound to make the same choice? It has nothing to do with maintaining the standards I am "enjoying" today.

My current graduate school was started with an endowment funded by a slave plantation. There is nary an acknowledgement of this anywhere on the campus or in the school literature. I'd like these predecessors acknowledged first.

It surprises me that members of an architecture and construction forum are complaining about it.

Most of what we do here is gossip about buildings we will never have to pay for and may even, someday, use. This is a building that I have to pay for and will never get to use!

Last edited:

cz, are you completely unaware of the concept of philanthropy? When people graduate from a school whose degree, in part, made the filthy rich they want to give back? Well, those people are the reason you have your school experience. You seem very cynical about helping future generations, and I don't understand why, other than perhaps selfishness.

Yes, CZ, start thinking in terms of community....and continuity!

selfishness

Nailed it.

Actually, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate.

Last edited:

today from Longwood
017-5.jpg
013-4.jpg

It looks rather dignified in that shot.

^thanks,Yeah that entire skyline except the BU building on the left is all recent.

Back