BU Development Thread

was that old shell sign in the 2nd pix moved to Memorial drive?

Good catch! Seems like it... the link KZ posted about the old "automile" mentions it.

Man, it sucks that the state have to put the that highway along the river and cutting off BU and ruining the vision of the park. I still find it unbelievable that they named the highway after John Storrow and his wife spent years fighting against it till their deaths and protecting their vision of the park. That's just a *&(@ move.

^ ur right should have read before I posted! yesterday grey at the moment
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-18.jpg

Nice photos, thanks very much!

The 1955 photo shows Fenway Park with a gridiron laid out on the field. The NFL Bulldogs, Braves, Redskins, Yanks were all gone, so a college football game, I suppose.

I think the case for BU has been adequately defended.

It has. I'm just not sure why people on this board are so quick to praise BU for building out largely vacant space over the course of 100+ years and then to crucify Pritzker/Fallon for only partially building out vacant space over the course of 30 (and really Fallon hasn't owned the land for 10 years).

We aren't "praising BU" for building out, we're just discrediting the notion that BU tore down lots of urban fabric to create parking lots.

FolkLegend has a point, though. To my knowledge, none of the property holders in the Seaport tore down buildings to put up parking lots. I guess the main difference I see is that B.U. has mostly been building continuously and without shady deals with the BRA. The seaport has been occasional spurts and nothing appears to be clean.

True - I think most of the Seaport parking lots were railroad yards, maybe once with a few freight terminal buildings on them.

FolkLegend has a point, though. To my knowledge, none of the property holders in the Seaport tore down buildings to put up parking lots. I guess the main difference I see is that B.U. has mostly been building continuously and without shady deals with the BRA. The seaport has been occasional spurts and nothing appears to be clean.

I have to also mention that BU didn't owned all that land back then either. Those car dealerships were owned by them and same with many of the lots. It takes a lot of time to raise money to buy up lots one by one and build stuff too. The properties owners of the the seaport have owned it for a long time (this claim needs to be verified).

No. Fallon and Hynes both acquired the Seaport in the last 5-7 years. Fallon from the Pritzkers after they were forced into a sale by a family lawsuit around 2004. Hynes from McCourt after he bought the Dodgers in 2005.

The College of Fine Arts at 855 Comm Ave has been undergoing major interior renovations for over a year now, and will soon begin it's exterior renovation. The renovation also includes a restoration of the original interior grand staircase, shown below. Eventually, the adjacent triangular lot (currently parking) will be developed as part of a major expansion.

CFA1.jpg

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

Did BU build this building, or take it over from someone else? If the latter, what was its former use?

Back