BU Development Thread

^This is going to be my last response, since I think I've made my points pretty clearly. Everything you say above pertains to the perspective of BU - who cares from the students of BU's standpoint about the loss of a hair salon and pizzeria, how could a college want to promote drinking, and why would BU want cars moving through their territory on small streets. My point, as I have repeatedly stated, is that everything you have just soda illustrates the potentially negative impacts a single institution's dominance of an area can have. From the perpsective of the broader community - Brookline, Boston - and urban planning, this all amounts to BU squelching things that overall would be positives due to their own institutional desire to fully control all their land for single use only. THATs what's not acceptable.

And to the loss of BK - actually, that was one of the other few places in the entire area where one could get food late at night. Just because it was a fast food restaurant doesn't mean that it wasn't a big loss, and replacing it with the parking lot is always an abysmal alternative. When they eventually develop that lot, do you anticipate they will have any restaurants or commercial establishments in it that are directly run by actually, that was one of the other few places in the entire area where one could get food late at night. Just because it was a fast food restaurant doesn't mean that it wasn't a big loss, and replacing it with the parking lot is always an abysmal alternative. When they eventually develop that lot, do you anticipate they will have any restaurants or commercial establishments in it that are directly run by BU-contracted agencies?

I'm done arguing, this is dumb. BU as a single entity, by itself, is not the enemy here. It's not about whether BU is any worse than other institutions in this regard - big entities will always do this, and it's up to the cities and towns in which they exist to provide adequate checks on this tendency... Although I would hope that the academic institutions also overtly respect the sound urban planning principles that transcend the more specific, micro-level needs of the academic community. Yes, the universities bring benefits to cities, but they also exist tax free. Something so basic as the corridor of Comm Ave or the extremely, extremely needed connections across the rail yards are no brainers and consideration of that - transcendence of simply what will benefit the institution - is something I would hope for in any major university establishment.

FK4: "Just because it was a fast food restaurant doesn't mean that it wasn't a big loss,"

Please get a grip on reality!

Uh, no. I grew up in Brookline and I like the businesses lining Comm. BU is demolishing a bunch of businesses on the main commercial thoroughfare through here. It's not my fault, or anyone else in brookline's, for that matter, that BU picked this area as their campus. The theater looks good but it's a big loss for the street presence on Comm and could be done differently. Like all colleges around here (and everywhere), it's just another institutional building that plunks down on the Main Street and contributes nothing other than to the sub population it serves during limited hours. One more slab along the main drag to turn the lights off at 10pm, adding nothing to anyone not affiliated with the drama department of BU. I'd rather see a building with smaller storefronts rebuilt at the sidewalk level and incorporated in some way, but unfortunately, neither educational not medical institutions around here seem capable of doing this. If BU had their way, all of Comm would be a wasteland of academic buildings, and the stores and bars would be gone. Not cool. And their campus' geography should be their problem to negotiate with the communities in which they exist, not mine to have to bear the consequences of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as though the theater is going to be replacing a parking lot. That's an improvement.

FK4: "Just because it was a fast food restaurant doesn't mean that it wasn't a big loss,"

Please get a grip on reality!

In this regard, the grip seems quite firm.

Many people like fast food. They don't just eat it because it's what's available and/or affordable (although these are big time contributors that need not be overlooked.) Fast food serves a purpose. It is not inherently evil. It feeds (literally and figuratively) stupid people and creates problems. But, plenty of well to do and healthy people will partake in fast food.

College students need/want/desire late night food options, cheap food options, fast food options.

In this regard, the grip seems quite firm.

Many people like fast food. They don't just eat it because it's what's available and/or affordable (although these are big time contributors that need not be overlooked.) Fast food serves a purpose. It is not inherently evil. It feeds (literally and figuratively) stupid people and creates problems. But, plenty of well to do and healthy people will partake in fast food.

College students need/want/desire late night food options, cheap food options, fast food options.

I have nothing against BK but that building was a complete and utter eyesore. It was also dangerous having a suburban drive-thru fast food joint share the sidewalk with thousands of students.

I have nothing against BK but that building was a complete and utter eyesore. It was also dangerous having a suburban drive-thru fast food joint share the sidewalk with thousands of students.

Is an eyesore with a useful purpose worse than a parking lot?

Agree on the suburban model, particularly with drive thrus.

I have this same argument in my home town where they are proposing a master urban revitalization project and one of the key things added is a single story pharmacy with drive thru.

He thrusts his fists against the post and still insists he's sees the ghosts.

Not to mention the stinking exhaust smoke from their "char broiled" cooking.

And I am NOT a vegetarian.

BK was my salvation when manning the window on the overnight shift at the main computer lab on Cummington St. as an undergrad. It was impossible to find food anywhere but there or the old Kenmore IHOP on my 2:00am "lunch" break. I agree the parcel was a waste of land, but having "a" restaurant in a non-BU building that didn't shut down at midnight was a big plus. There are students awake cramming at all hours, and classroom buildings open during those hours. It was legitimately useful, and a loss when they bulldozed it. They could've accommodated stuff like this elsewhere, like on that cursed Warren Towers storefront that can't hold an eatery for more than 2 years before it goes out-of-business. But even when Taco Bell was there it was subject to BU building hours, and since TB franchises make a lot of their profits late at night (after all, they promote "Open Late" relentlessly in their ads) it hobbled them too in that musical-tenants eatery space @ WT.

The disappearance of street-level retail doesn't just make the corridor useless for regular citizens...it's a lot worse for students than it was 10-15 years ago. Not everyone has a dining plan; live off-campus and you probably don't. Not everyone stocks their Terrier card account with points for eating at George Sherman Union or shopping for supplies at BU Bookstore; live off-campus and you probably don't, and are more likely to be agnostic about spending money at the official campus facilities because of the way they push points on students. And the hours absolutely suck. This was a problem for students when I was a student, and it's gotten much worse since. Let's not make this totally a BU vs. the outside world thing; their own student body finds this very underwhelming too.

By my count there's only 8 independent small storefronts between Kenmore and BU West--the sleepy and high-turnover 4 on that dead stretch next to Sargeant College of Health, and the very busy 4 between Cummington and St. Mary's with University Grille. Plus the CVS and soon-to-be defunct Radio Shack. I fear what they're going to try to do with the CVS/RS if that building gets assimilated into the borg. Is CVS a rent increase away from turning into a "super" City Convenience with a Campus Health Services-contractor Minute Clinic? There goes the last place to quickly buy school supplies without paying the CityCo markup, and it would be devastating for medical privacy and end up scaring away a lot of patrons paranoid that BU is going to data-mine private medical details from the receipt paper trail.

BU has never 'gotten' the street retail concept...ever. If I had to guess, there are probably too many well-entrenched and insular internal fiefdoms stirring the pot and exerting heavy influence on their retail decisions. They've gone all-in building on these one-stop shopping campus supercenters and super- dining halls, but to such one-sided extreme it seems to be an excuse to give Campus Dining Services and their preferred retail and supplier contractors more facilities to lord order...as well as an expansion of power for the Building & Grounds junta. And another opportunity to strong-arm the Terrier card points system. It's a self-reinforcing monoculture.

And that probably explains a lot about why what little non- campus-branded retail is rented out in fully BU-owned buildings has such absolutely absurd tenant turnover rates. Warren Towers eateries and the coffee shop-of-the-month next to CVS being the prototypically maddening here-today/gone-tomorrow storefronts. Either the real estate arm is flat-out indecisive with their leases and so insular they don't even know how to deal with outside businesses, or there is so much pressure and politicking emanating from the monoculture that it burns out the indie tenants quickly. All of that, including the great decline in Comm. Ave. retail writ-large and misread of their own student demographics' retail preferences, is symptomatic of a major institutional shortcoming in understanding retail and breaking out of their own monoculture. Whatever your outsider's preferences for how Comm Ave. should present itself, there are real institutional shortcomings within BU related to their approach to retail that need troubleshooting.

First, I do not see them destroying any business of importance, they may not be adding to the business corridor or street activation, but that is different from your charges about destroying the business corridor.

Let us not forget BU's role in the drastic remaking or destroying (depending on one's opinion) the south side of Kenmore Square with the demolition of a slew of commercial brownstone rows to erect the Hotel Commonwealth.

^that last picture right above nicely emphasizes the dismal contribution to comm ave of the school's latest project.

Warren Towers eateries and the coffee shop-of-the-month next to CVS being the prototypically maddening here-today/gone-tomorrow storefronts. Either the real estate arm is flat-out indecisive with their leases and so insular they don't even know how to deal with outside businesses, or there is so much pressure and politicking emanating from the monoculture that it burns out the indie tenants quickly. All of that, including the great decline in Comm. Ave. retail writ-large and misread of their own student demographics' retail preferences, is symptomatic of a major institutional shortcoming in understanding retail and breaking out of their own monoculture. Whatever your outsider's preferences for how Comm Ave. should present itself, there are real institutional shortcomings within BU related to their approach to retail that need troubleshooting.

As one Alumni to another, I have to agree BU is pretty bad at providing retail for even their own students.

But while I agree to your sentiment, I have to also concur with aaaaaa and point out your example is flawed. Of all the example, the coffee shop you mentioned is actually one of the longer runners. Yes, it is no longer Espresso Royale, but actually, learning from the Barista who chimed in when I learned the Espresso Royale is gone enjoying coffee reuniting with visiting fellow alumni, that it is actually the same owner. He changed the branding and remodeled, but the still the same owner and thus not one of the turnover examples you are saying.

Good coffee shop... It's fantastic that on the linear swath of a university of 30,000 that other than Bucks there's just one coffeeshop...

Suffolk, you're aware that "U" stands for "University", right?

One of the reasons I chose BU was because it offered an urban campus. I didnt want to go to a walled off suburban campus like BC, I wanted to be in the city.

The mix of retail is an asset to the student body.

One of the reasons I chose BU was because it offered an urban campus. I didnt want to go to a walled off suburban campus like BC, I wanted to be in the city.

The mix of retail is an asset to the student body.

BU still has ample opportunity to improve the ground level retail between Kenmore and West Campus. Specifically the surface lots at Kenmore (lot O), lot N and lot R are ripe for development and would create a more vibrant Comm. Ave between Kenmore and West Campus.

BU still has ample opportunity to improve the ground level retail between Kenmore and West Campus. Specifically the surface lots at Kenmore (lot O), lot N and lot R are ripe for development and would create a more vibrant Comm. Ave between Kenmore and West Campus.

Opportunity, yes. Same decade-plus entrenched administration that has squandered every other opportunity still making all the decisions...also yes. There's zero signs of any regime change upcoming in the foreseeable future, so it's unrealistic to expect the monoculture's attitudes to change on the next couple Comm Ave. parcels vs. the last couple. They'll be filled with new construction long before there's any change in the administration's disdain for ground-level retail.

I am all for ground level retail in this area, however BU is a college and their job is to provide academic/housing/dining/athletic/study space for their students, not to provide retail for the average Boston resident, just saying.

I am all for ground level retail in this area, however BU is a college and their job is to provide academic/housing/dining/athletic/study space for their students, not to provide retail for the average Boston resident, just saying.

Overly simplistic explanation. Was it BU's job to erase what modest ground-level retail used to line Comm Ave. as little as 10-20 years ago? This isn't a case where every development they've undertaken started at equilibrium with an empty lot that was always empty, or a former tenant that ran its course and went vacant over the natural progression of time. These were majority-evictions.

Back