Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Sunrise from the 14th floor of Citizen M Hotel.

IMG_7489.jpg

Work to start on reopening Congress Street soon. The goal is to have half the road open for northbound traffic by September. Not sure what the timeline is for southbound traffic.
The T's original bus operations only had southbound buses needing access to Congress St. Northbound buses do not, since they turn at Haymarket to get to North Washington.

Shameful that the buses are getting the short end of the stick. again...

Yea I’m hoping they dont intend to just leave that part of the garage ass out for a while.

I was thinking the same thing and how awful it was to know what was coming. That garage was the ugliest thing built after the razing of what used to be in that area. Now we have something worthy in its place.

If they follow through on that lab it will be deja vu all over again. It's the overall single worst proposed building in the whole metro area, which is saying a lot when you scrutinize the competition.

It's interesting how some of these pictures give off a strong West End after bulldozers vibe. I guess it's the second time for this location's complete demolition. Hopefully this version proves more beneficial than the last iteration.

I think the lab is dead. At least that's what an insider told us here awhile back.
That makes sense. The latest numbers say there's still 8 million square feet of lab space under construction (that's 16 times the size of this Two Congress building), only a third of which is pre-leased. And with 16 percent (and rising) of existing space vacant, nearly two-thirds of which is in brand-new buildings, a big, new lab building could be a hard sell to the people who provide the money.

The presence of the T tunnels will foreclose any of the less monolithic designs.

I'm an amateur at this - but I wonder if this surface wasteland moment would be an opportune time to mess around below to make the NSRL better positioned for future possibility?

That would require leadership with a vision and an inclination towards long term planning.
Yes, futuring is not the MBTA's strong suit. Look at the screw-up on the North Bank pedestrian bridge's narrow column spacing, which will need to be relocated for the new rail tracks over the Charles.

I'm an amateur at this - but I wonder if this surface wasteland moment would be an opportune time to mess around below to make the NSRL better positioned for future possibility?

In what way? As I recall from other posts on this forum, the underground "ROW" has already been cleared of utilities as part of the Big Dig work. Station locations, ingresses, and egresses have already been identified. The main thing to do is stick TBMs in the ground at the portal locations, which are far from here.

Back