Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

I thought that was Ski Monster's space, but looks like they're a building in. Not sure.

I'll tell you what, though: I long for the NOI of that flatiron parking lot across from it that proposes a new tallest. Even with a generous setback along Merrimac Street, the Cuppa Coffee parcel could fit a One Dalton Street tower with room to spare. It would be pretty legendary if Boston could see something like Miami's Aston Marin Residences rise here (sans parking pedestal). There's no question the demand exists.

Ski Monster's street address is 60 Canal, which does appear to be part of the same block-long building.

mKN3igU.png

^^^ This is the background building in Beeline's image, magnified.

Beelines last image shows a red brick building in the background, and which appears to be largely vacant. Google maps indicates the building is One Chardon St. Are there any plans for this building?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZaXEtR9n3hEFtWbz6

^^^ Google streetview is from 2020, but little seems to have changed.
I seem to recall a Hammett's school supply store being in there way, way back. The chain closed in 2005 and StreetView shows the storefront as empty since at least '07 so the timeline matches up.

Beelines last image shows a red brick building in the background, and which appears to be largely vacant. Google maps indicates the building is One Chardon St. Are there any plans for this building?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZaXEtR9n3hEFtWbz6

^^^ Google streetview is from 2020, but little seems to have changed.

The annoying thing is, despite its prominent facing on New Chandron, it's street address is 54 Canal. Searching that address, the building appears to be primarily offices - including the ground floor which is evidently occupied by a design agency. I imagine that lack of street activitation leads it to looking unoccupied, but apparently 4/6 floors are occupied. I can forgive that given it used to face a garage / latterly a construction site, but hopefully eventually it goes to retail uses.
[URL]https://marketplace.vts.com/building/54-canal-street-boston-ma[/URL]

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, though: I long for the NOI of that flatiron parking lot across from it that proposes a new tallest. Even with a generous setback along Merrimac Street, the Cuppa Coffee parcel could fit a One Dalton Street tower with room to spare. It would be pretty legendary if Boston could see something like Miami's Aston Marin Residences rise here (sans parking pedestal). There's no question the demand exists.
I'd also love to see a skyscraper at that site, especially if it's the new tallest. Too bad the NIMBYs will probably fight against a skyscraper proposal there.

Last edited:
I'd also love to see a skyscraper at that site, especially if it's the new tallest. Too bad the NIMBYs will probably fight against a skyscraper proposal there.
This 1782 map suggests this site was once part of the harbor. The right-most three fathom mark near the bottom of Beacon Hill before the top sixty feet of Beacon Hill was removed to help create the Back Bay. Back in the day, Sentry Hill (where the State House is) was part of the Tri-mountain (AKA Tremont) hills, the other two being Mount Vernon (Louisburg Square) and Pemberton Hill. (where the McCormack building is.)

tvsgKz3.png

This 1782 map suggests this site was once part of the harbor. The right-most three fathom mark near the bottom of Beacon Hill before the top sixty feet of Beacon Hill was removed to help create the Back Bay. Back in the day, Sentry Hill (where the State House is) was part of the Tri-mountain (AKA Tremont) hills, the other two being Mount Vernon (Louisburg Square) and Pemberton Hill. (where the McCormack building is.)

tvsgKz3.png
No problem building a skyscraper on filled land.

I'll tell you what, though: I long for the NOI of that flatiron parking lot across from it that proposes a new tallest.

According to the FAA map that parcel could go about 775-785' above sea level, or maybe about 750' above the ground at most. No chance of a new tallest there, but it could at least be the first 700'+ tower outside of the Back Bay.

I could be completely misreading the photos but the street is much narrower that what was there before?

I hope BTD/HYM have ambitious plans for mature tree plantings in the median and sidewalks of the newly day lit Congress Street.
what is being constructed now is an interim condition that keeps the median, but it and the SB lanes will be behind construction fencing. This work will open NB vehicles and sidewalks on both sides.
It's the same - 3 lanes in either direction. Looks a bit smaller without all the traffic you're used to seeing. https://maps.app.goo.gl/AJvppivTahhe8wzTA
final condition hasnt been exactly determined, but it removes the median and isnt expected to be 3 lanes in each direction, especially not SB.

My mistake. I was reading the median and the unpaved road as the part of the property. :rolleyes:
Don't get old, kids.

Back