Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Also, is this single northbound lane permanent? It seems silly to pave this much and then hatch 50%+ of it. They could have moved the slip lane to a right turn lane here in that hatching and given that slip lane space back to pedestrians.
Maybe they're forcing one lane there, and keeping the hatched area paved to more easily move to a future state (NS-SS-Seaport bus corridor) (see images here in this streetsblog post) where future T-7 buses can queue-jump there?

They're keeping the slip lane?!?!?! :rolleyes:
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw that, but then when I looked at the street alignments - specifically the angle - makes me understand it a bit more. I don't like it in principle, but the radius for the turn would've had to pretty large to make turning feasible.

We’ve got lane markings now. From 9/17.
View attachment 55758
Hatching on right (of this pic) because it will be behind construction fencing so median can be removed.
Hatching on left because trucks (going to tunnels) can't make right turn without slip lane.
Can't remove the slip lane and make a wider radius for trucks because the pedestrian crossing is way too long.
Final condition, when determined by bus link, will redo this as needed.

Maybe they're forcing one lane there, and keeping the hatched area paved to more easily move to a future state (NS-SS-Seaport bus corridor) (see images here in this streetsblog post) where future T-7 buses can queue-jump there?

Sadly those two links (from almost 2.5 years ago - Spring 2022) are the last I can find about this crucial transportation project that would so enhance Boston.

The below pic from the second link is, in hindsight, so sad - a post-it note from a participant of that event:

A post-it note from a participant of Thursday's open house. The handwritten note states long-overdue project - interesting collaboration and good improvements for pedestrians and bikers. (the next sentence is underlined twice) Just hurry! Good things take too long.

Last edited:
This would have been a good opportunity to narrow up the streets a bit, as the streets built in the 1960s urban renewal GC project are highways. But it looks like they're replicating the multiple lanes and all. Oh well, at least that leaves room for bus lanes.
100%

Get the damn cars off 80% of the roads downtown, period.

This would have been a good opportunity to narrow up the streets a bit, as the streets built in the 1960s urban renewal GC project are highways. But it looks like they're replicating the multiple lanes and all. Oh well, at least that leaves room for bus lanes.
Read the discuss up thread. Nothing is be replicated.

Love the shot of canopy in the bottom pic. Once it was completed ppl kinda forgot about it so you dont see many pictures, but that really was the last parcel on the west side of the greenway that needed to be filled in for a long time. At least until govt ctr garage coming down created a new one. For a small building it really was a big piece of fixing the street wall and I think it came out nice and blends in very well.

Love the shot of canopy in the bottom pic. Once it was completed ppl kinda forgot about it so you dont see many pictures, but that really was the last parcel on the west side of the greenway that needed to be filled in for a long time. At least until govt ctr garage coming down created a new one. For a small building it really was a big piece of fixing the street wall and I think it came out nice and blends in very well.
And they make a mean negroni!

And oh boy, did people on this site hate it when it was proposed...

Back