Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Gov't Center Garage Redevelopment

Considering Dr.Chomsky had a torrid intellectual love affair with Pol Pot, it would be best he is NEVER allowed to hold a political office.

Yoon isn't likely to win, he's spent more time fund raising rather than actually showing up for his bloody job, and Mumbles, whenever he feels like retiring, is literally going to handle the mantle of Mayor to Ross.

I noticed in this week's Courant that the developer is giving two neighborhood presentations in the next few weeks.

According to the Beacon Hill Times the developer will be filing the PNF in the next 2 to 4 weeks

PNF filed

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2009/03/developer_propo.html
Boston developer Ted Raymond is pressing forward with a plan to build a massive mixed-use development, including two skyscrapers, on land now occupied by the hulking Government Center garage near City Hall.

Raymond today proposed to demolish the garage and replace it with as many as five new buildings on both sides of Congress Street. In his proposal, filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, Raymond calls the development the largest green building project in the city's history.

?We are working hard to create a development plan that will create a new destination, weave together the neighborhoods, and revamp the vitality of the streetscape in the area,? Raymond said in a statement.

But his plan, estimated to cost $2.2 billion, faces considerable obstacles, not the least of which is the fact he doesn't own part of the land where he is trying to build.

Because of that, Raymond separated his proposal into two sections - one for the garage site he owns, and one for city-owned land along New Sudbury Street that is now occupied by a newly renovated police station.

On his property, located at the corner of Congress and Merrimac streets, Raymond would build a 42-story office tower along with two residential buildings along the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway.

The proposal includes street-level retail stores, restaurants and a hotel that would hide new parking garages with space for more than 2,000 cars.

On the city-owned land, Raymond wants to build a second 52-story office tower, putting a cluster of high-rise buildings in a corner of the city that now lacks that kind of development.

There is also an NStar substation standing in the way of the second skyscraper.

Officials with the Boston Redevelopment Authority have said Raymond must show considerable benefits to the community if he expects to acquire the city-owned property.

In his proposal, Raymond promises to build a new police station for the city, and provide payments for the development of affordable housing as well as millions of dollars in new tax revenue. The development would also create thousands of construction jobs.
(By Casey Ross, Globe staff)

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2009/03/02/daily13.html
The developer of the Government Center Garage project in Boston has filed paperwork to move the project forward and into the formal public-review process.

Raymond Property Co. said Monday that a Project Notification Form has been filed with Boston officials and outlines two scenarios to build what could be the largest so-called ?green? development site in the city. The project, as it stands, would result in between 3.6 million square feet and 3.78 million square feet of mixed-use development ? including Class A office space, residential units and a hotel ? adjacent to Boston?s City Hall.

2.2 billion.....where the heck are they gonna get that?

Where is the NStar substation?

Built into that brick garage, I thought.

The substation is on a little "U" shaped street right behind the police stantion and the Boston Sports Club - Hawkins Street, I believe. You'd never see it unless you wandered back there...and there's very little reason to wander back there.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws after yesterday's stock market plunge, but this news of Ted Raymond moving forward with this project is a welcomed ray of sunshine!!! Go Ted, go!!!

I'd really like to see this built, with or without the second phase.

I'd be willing to bet Raymond's banking on this project still taking a LONG time even by Boston standards, so he's thinking that by the time everything's set and ready for lease the economy will have rebounded (7-8 years?). Personally, I don't know if that's such a crazy idea. I'd probably avoid doing that in a place like Las Vegas, but Boston might be a prime candidate for a couple of reasons: 1) there was no over building during the boom (space is still pretty tight); and 2) Boston's industries and location in the North East corridor make a prime location/candidate for an early bounce back (as compared to the rest of the country/world). Then again, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.

Here we go boys and girls. Hopefully this source is correct - I love this design.

cookandfox.jpg

cookandfox2.jpg

cookandfox3.jpg

I know a lot people hate the idea of comparing New York to Boston, but this project is incredibly similar to Columbus Center. Even the designs look similar, assuming they choose Cook and Fox. Both are adjacent to large park spaces. Haymarket was once a city circle, and still has many streets joining or running through the site... I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress ... The city fabric of this neighborhood will be connected once again.

Oh fuck yes!!

My thoughts exactly.
Really hoping this source is correct.

The rendering shows the tunnel ramps covered and matching the rest of the development pretty closely. What are the chances that that is actually going to be a part of this? Those two projects will really tie this part of the city back together.

Also... can anyone see the parking in front of the Garden being developed at some point? Is there a particular reason it's not?

I'm excited, but I can't wait to see the NIMBY-ified, sanitized, shortened version that has all the creativity siphoned out of it. Because you just know that's going to happen.

I'm excited, but I can't wait to see the NIMBY-ified, sanitized, shortened version that has all the creativity siphoned out of it. Because you just know that's going to happen.

Wait...you mean people from the North and West Ends will probably oppose this??;)

I really hope this gets built. The renderings look awesome and this would be such a solid addition to the Boston skyline. The current situation in that area is terrible, the garage is an eyesore and needs something done to it.

Is the Cook and Fox design what they are moving forward with, or are the other 3 contenders still being considered?

I pray to god Flaherty will not be elected as mayor. He will open the doors to a new era of anti-development in Boston. Menino looks like a Dubai sheik compared to him.

Back