Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Gov't Center Garage Redevelopment

I completely agree about Albany and I almost posted it as my initall gut reaction, but I looked at some pictures at Empire State Plaza first and decided the resemblance wasn't as strong as I thought....but YES YES YES the gut reaction screams Albany!

Notice all they traffic in those old pics. The last one has almost no shadows so it must be around mid day. People forget that for a good part of the 20th century Boston was a dying city that most people had long given up for dead.

It could have been a Sunday, though. Back then nothing was open on Sundays, so there wasn't much reason to be driving around.

I moved the last bunch of posts about Charlies redesign here.

Could someone tell me what that curved building that blocks the Suffolk County Courthouse is? I originally thought that was the building in this article. Thanks.

It is called 1-2-3 Center Plaza, but I don't see what it has to do with the garage site.

Thomas Palmer has written a profile of the Downtown North Neighborhood Association and its director, Bob O'Brien, in a blog entry on the McDermott Ventures website.

I may be reading into it, but from my point of view, it seems to me that the neighborhood association is brazenly making a threat ... "Either you deal with us, or we won't support you."

Or am I just being cynical?

The developer of that proposed project [One Congress Street], Ted Raymond, is scheduled to be at a West End Civic Association meeting soon.

Redevelopment of that vast garage "will remove the last remaining barrier between ourselves and Government Center," O'Brien said.

And that project is exciting for three reasons, O'Brien said, the first of which is "the possibility of a new public elementary school," the idea for which goes back at least 10 years in the neighborhood.

As it happens, that issue dominated discussion at the association's meeting after O'Brien left, the main item on the association's agenda.

"We could see that happen -- the developer is open to that possibility," O'Brien said. "It could change the nature of the community. We need that kind of change."

Everyone present at the meeting, including a few who have young children and many without, seemed in favor.

O'Brien said another reason for supporting the elimination of a hulking parking garage for a mixed-use complex, with more residential (if that market ever returns) opportunity, is it would improve "the social and cultural dimensions of the community."

Finally, in the Bulfinch Triangle, he said, it could usher in a new mechanism for community development, such as a "business improvement district." These districts, supported by taxes or levies on the local businesses, use the money for improvements within their boundaries.

They've been popular in some other cities but have not caught on here. Efforts for a BID for Downtown Crossing have not gotten a grip, nor was the idea very popular when a "PID" idea was kicked around for the parks of the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

"What we need is a NIB," O'Brien said. A neighborhood improvement district.

But, he said, "I'd have to put the school at the top" of his list.

O'Brien answered some questions, including one about how a proposal for a couple of 700-foot towers for the One Congress St. site "fit into your vision."

"I'm not in favor of height for its own sake," he said. "But, if we develop that, what do we get for what is being proposed?"

"The project needs to be worthy on its own merits, but what do we get that we otherwise wouldn't?" by supporting a large development.

"Height shouldn't be debated in the abstract."

The site is currently zoned for two 400-foot towers, he said.

"How high above that is less important than what goes on at the ground level and what we get for it."

Though Copley Place is popular, and not high-rise, he said, he considers it "one of the most uninteresting, unattractive developments one can imagine."

"Height can be elegant," O'Brien said. "Squat can be ugly."

I don't see asking for a school as an unreasonable request.

"I'm not in favor of height for its own sake," he said. "But, if we develop that, what do we get for what is being proposed?"

"The project needs to be worthy on its own merits, but what do we get that we otherwise wouldn't?" by supporting a large development.

A higher tax revenue and the chance for an iconic new skyscraper.

Extortion, outwresting, or exaction is a criminal offense, which occurs, when a person unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. Making a threat of violence or a lawsuit which refers to a requirement of a payment of money or property to halt future violence or lawsuit is sufficient to commit the offense. Exaction refers not only to extortion or the unlawful demanding and obtaining of something through force, additionally, exact in its formal definition means the infliction of something such as pain and suffering or to make somebody endure something unpleasant.

- source, wikipedia.org

"How high above that is less important than what goes on at the ground level and what we get for it."

Though Copley Place is popular, and not high-rise, he said, he considers it "one of the most uninteresting, unattractive developments one can imagine."

"Height can be elegant," O'Brien said. "Squat can be ugly."

I like the way this guy thinks. We need more people like him.

I don't see asking for a school as an unreasonable request.

If the school becomes part of BPS (which I am assuming since it will be a public school), then the school will not help one bit. BPS is currently out of cash and have resorted to drastic cuts of teachers, department, class supplies, etc for the 09 year. In fact, in their current situation, they might need to close down underperforming schools and lump more people together in order to get enough money to run the system.

O'Brien answered some questions, including one about how a proposal for a couple of 700-foot towers for the One Congress St. site "fit into your vision."

A couple of 700ft? I thought only one of them is 700ft.

An old pix I took not to many years ago. many changes already in this area since then
53004567.jpg

And thankfully, too.

Councilor slams Government Center tower plan
Spotlight on Boston garage sale
By Thomas Grillo
Monday, January 19, 2009

The proposed redevelopment of the Government Center Garage may become a political issue in the upcoming mayoral race.

Boston City Councilor Michael F. Flaherty has raised objections to turning over two city-owned buildings to a developer to make way for the $2.3 billion redevelopment of the seven-story garage.

Flaherty, a potential challenger to Mayor Thomas M. Menino, railed against the idea of razing the District A-1 Police Headquarters and a social service agency adjacent to the garage at a recent community meeting. The police station underwent a $4.8 million renovation in 2006.

In neighborhood meetings last year, Steven Kasnet, chief executive at Raymond Property Co., told both North and West End residents that the Boston Redevelopment Authority asked them to include the two buildings on New Sudbury Street in plans for the 3.3 million-square-foot, mixed-use project that includes a 52-story office building. Under the plan, the city buildings would be demolished to boost the project?s footprint.

While BRA staff, who attended those sessions, did not disagree, the BRA is now requiring that Raymond prove why the developer should be allowed to expand the project?s footprint to include those city-owned parcels. Some are suggesting the move may be an effort to defuse a possible campaign issue if Flaherty enters the race for mayor.

?The Raymond team said the BRA was interested in having them consider those city-owned parcels,? said David Kubiak, a member of the North End/Waterfront Residents? Association who attended several meetings on the project. ?But Mr. Flaherty?s objections appear to be the reason for the BRA?s change in position. The councilor has shined a light on an issue that needs to be vetted.?

But John F. Palmieri, BRA director, denied that the BRA encouraged Raymond to consider the city-owned parcels. He also dismissed suggestions that criticism from Flaherty had anything to do with asking Raymond to prove why the idea makes sense for the city.

?There was never any intention on our part to direct Raymond to include those city parcels,? Palmieri said. ?We were not the ones who told them to do it. They wanted to include them to get the square footage they need for the project.?

On Friday, Justine Griffin, a Raymond spokeswoman, said via e-mail that including the city parcels was the developer?s idea. ?Raymond has always been very interested in the city-owned buildings, and they brought it up early in discussions with the BRA.? She added, ?the BRA was willing to allow them to explore it.?

Meanwhile Flaherty took credit for the BRA?s stance. The at-large councilor said he raised the issue months ago. ?We need to stop letting developers decide what is best for the community,? he said

Link

Meanwhile Flaherty took credit for the BRA?s stance. The at-large councilor said he raised the issue months ago. ?We need to stop letting developers decide what is best for the community,? he said

Yeah like the NIMBYs do. Nice joke. This definitely swings me on Menino's side. With Flaherty projects such as CC and other major projects will never go up thanks to his "listen to the community" stance. Odd how both Flaherty are anti-progress.

Wow. What is with this city and development. Every time Boston tries to grow someone always has to oppose it like they're trying to prove something. Be that one leader who stands out and really "cares" about the city. I agree with DarkFen and go with Menino on this one. Given he's proposed some radical ideas, he's at least thinking outside the box.

Have we really heard what the community has to say about the proposed designs? This is an amazing opportunity, and I'd hate to see some small minded politician blow it.

Sounds like someone is looking for cash. The city must have run out of liquor licenses.

The thing is, we would not mind the input of the community in including things they need like a park(to some extent) or a supermarket, or a school in this case. But if you are willing to just oppose the whole building itself and waste valuable plots of land and construct something like a 3 story crap there, then there's a problem.

Back