Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

How does anyone figure there were more rapid transit lines? The Orange Line didn't go as far as Oak Grove, the Red Line ended at Harvard, and it's other terminus was in Ashmont without the option to go to Quincy or Braintree.

I realize there were more branches of the Green Line, but some of these defunct lines were replaced by bus service.....Also, there was no Riverside Line until 1959.

From the Herald:

Boston Herald said:
Foes hit mayor on request of Govt. Center project
School building battle
By Thomas Grillo | Wednesday, June 3, 2009
8dbceff34e_garage_06032009.jpg

Boston?s mayoral candidates are blasting Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s request for a school to be part of a $2.3 billion Government Center Garage project.

?Our mayor says he?s for development and then puts a $45 million roadblock in the path of this project,? said City Councilor Michael Flaherty.

The Menino administration asked the Raymond Property Co. to add a 97,000-square-foot elementary school to its proposed 3-million-square-foot development near the John F. Kennedy Building. The Boston company hopes to demolish the 11-story garage and replace it with two skyscrapers.

But the candidates hoping to unseat Menino - Flaherty, Kevin McCrea of the South End and City Councilor Sam Yoon - were united in their criticism of Menino?s plan.

?I favor a school in the neighborhood, but it shouldn?t be the trade-off for allowing a developer to exceed the height limits by four times what the zoning code allows,? said McCrea.

Yoon said Chinatown is still waiting for a school promised as a community benefit in exchange for approval of Hayward Place. The $200 million project with housing and retail in Downtown Crossing has yet to be built.

?The public has no confidence in the BRA?s ability to advocate for communities and neighborhoods,? Yoon said.

Susan Ellsbree, a Boston Redevelopment Authority spokeswoman, said there is ?overwhelming support? for the developer to examine a feasibility of a school.

?The developer wants enormous zoning relief, and the community is entitled to benefits,? she said. ?We asked the developer to examine the possibility of a school. It does not mean there will be one.?

Raymond CEO Stephen Kasnet said the city has every right to require the firm to examine a school as a public benefit. ?But I can tell you that given the baseline costs, I don?t believe the project could afford to pay for a school,? he said. ?I have trouble picturing a school there, given all the safety needs.?

Late last year, a Boston Public Schools spokesman told the Herald that the city was not considering an elementary school at the project site. At the time, Christopher Horan said they have more available seats citywide than students.

But the idea has become a campaign issue and parents have met privately with Menino twice about the possibility of a new school.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1176440

LOL what hypocrites! They're for and against the project, and now for and against the school. Politicians...

Last edited:

What IS the zoning limits in Boston? If this development exceeds zoning limits by 4x, then maybe the antiquated 19th century zoning code should be revamped.

What IS the zoning limits in Boston? If this development exceeds zoning limits by 4x, then maybe the antiquated 19th century zoning code should be revamped.

What are...

And, fahcryinoutloud yes!

The city's core is deliberately under-zoned so that virtually any development must be granted a variance or some other special designation on an ad hoc basis in order to be built. This allows the BRA (in other words, the Mayor) to cherry pick what pet developments go forward and kill what developments they don't like, for whatever reason.

I thought Flaherty was blasting the project because of the civic/government spaces being displaced? Now he's for it? Wasn't Yoon pro-development at one point, but anti development another time ... and now pro on this development? I've never seen a bigger bunch of flip-floppers in my life.

And what the hell is that rendering? That can't be Cook & Fox's winning design... Might as well put it in Kendall Sq.

Yeah, they say Cook & Fox won, but every article I've seen uses this design, which looks like SOM's. Did they do a subtle redesign already? Did the Globe never bother to see the rest of the renderings? It'll be such a shame if the original Cook & Fox isn't built, or at least somethign similar. They were truly stunning, IMO.

jesus they are just using the massing model in the article...it was released to the press before the actual competition as there are not too many photos of the Cook + Fox design floating around...

My bad.

How come I never heard of the school that Yoon is trying to build in Hayward Place? I thought Chinatown was trying to get a public library, not a school.

I don't think they are getting the idea that you have to allow big developments or else those developers can easily just look at a different city and your city will be left behind in the dust.

Here the chose is simple. You can get a project with basically the best of everything. Mixed use [thats off memory, may be incorrect] has a few different buildings, varied facades along the streets to enhance the bigcity feel. If these critics get their way as well as their prefered height, we are going to end up with a 5-10 story gigantic big ass landscraper with the same facade for half a mile, nothing interesting. We will basically replacing this sore in the middle of the city with an even greater sore.

Boston may never get a proposal for this spot as good as this current proposal. They need to learn to take what they get.

And what we could get is pretty damned good. I really appreciate the renderings designed to show mere massing. There's a real street wall created here.

And, of course, we need to learn how to better work with developers to get what we want, not tar and feather them every time a new proposal is presented.

I don't think they are getting the idea that you have to allow big developments or else those developers can easily just look at a different city and your city will be left behind in the dust.

Here the chose is simple. You can get a project with basically the best of everything. Mixed use [thats off memory, may be incorrect] has a few different buildings, varied facades along the streets to enhance the bigcity feel. If these critics get their way as well as their prefered height, we are going to end up with a 5-10 story gigantic big ass landscraper with the same facade for half a mile, nothing interesting. We will basically replacing this sore in the middle of the city with an even greater sore.

Boston may never get a proposal for this spot as good as this current proposal. They need to learn to take what they get.

And what we could get is pretty damned good. I really appreciate the renderings designed to show mere massing. There's a real street wall created here.

And, of course, we need to learn how to better work with developers to get what we want, not tar and feather them every time a new proposal is presented.

I could not agree with both of these posts more.

^ thanks! that presentation shows the garden develoment being larger than whats being proposed at gov. center

I am so confused now as to what every single building is actually going to look like.....and also which is actually which....

I don't think we know yet what exactly the proposed buildings will look like. If you look carefully at the perspective, you will note that the Garden Development buildings appear larger because they are at closer range.

Apparently, there was another community meeting last night, this one focused on Beacon Hill neighbors concerns. Anyone attend?

I was there last night. I'll be able to write something about it in a few hours or so.

Back