Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

I was being sarcastic about the displacement.

A few more pearls:

Cathy: NO

Diana: Why don't they provide incentives for companies to set up offices near Springfield, MA?

Susan: I think Boston has enough tall buildings. Leave some open space. Garages are at a premium......

Linda: My city is getting ugly

Catherine: Phooey. After years od enduring the icy, windy, ugly, depressing area that is City Hall Plaza, does the area really need more tall buildings that (I guess) will create more icy wind tunnels?

Adamandia: No no no! Boston NEEDS Parking! If they do this they need to building parking above stores! Like t Cambridge Galleria Mall!
We love coming to Boston , but need to Park car! Not enough Meters inHaymrket Area!

And quite possibly the best one, again from Adamandia:

I grew up right across from the Garage! I take offense to insults! I love that design even today! Took Haymarket subway all the time! Why do you all have to change Boston so i dont even recognize my place of birth!

38456248.jpg

A few more pearls:

Cathy: NO

Diana: Why don't they provide incentives for companies to set up offices near Springfield, MA?

Susan: I think Boston has enough tall buildings. Leave some open space. Garages are at a premium......

Linda: My city is getting ugly

Catherine: Phooey. After years od enduring the icy, windy, ugly, depressing area that is City Hall Plaza, does the area really need more tall buildings that (I guess) will create more icy wind tunnels?

Adamandia: No no no! Boston NEEDS Parking! If they do this they need to building parking above stores! Like t Cambridge Galleria Mall!
We love coming to Boston , but need to Park car! Not enough Meters inHaymrket Area!

And quite possibly the best one, again from Adamandia:

I grew up right across from the Garage! I take offense to insults! I love that design even today! Took Haymarket subway all the time! Why do you all have to change Boston so i dont even recognize my place of birth!

38456248.jpg

Possibly the most perfect possible use of that picture.

Hell, no.

But I used to be a linguist for the government and am a big fan of his work!

It was supposed to be a little joke, but the sarcasm/humor didn't translate in text. We will never know who BostonBred is.

While I like the proposal very much (although, this whole tessellated windows fad is getting a bit tiring) - I'm afraid this project is too ambitious for today's Boston to become a reality.

This has the potential to be EPIC!

Minor nitpick: They're kicking the 111 buses to the street and bringing the 400-series buses closer to the development? Uhm, the 111 is beyond rapid transit frequency, and 400-series combined aren't terribly common. That's a bit odd.

I'm hoping to see huge improvements to the busway, though. It's currently atrocious.

This has the potential to be EPIC!

Minor nitpick: They're kicking the 111 buses to the street and bringing the 400-series buses closer to the development? Uhm, the 111 is beyond rapid transit frequency, and 400-series combined aren't terribly common. That's a bit odd.

I'm hoping to see huge improvements to the busway, though. It's currently atrocious.

The logic may be that since those buses are more frequent, they don't want to slow them down by making them pull in off the street. The 400-series buses are more of a shuttle-type service and can wait at the stop for longer, perhaps?

I'm disappointed by this to be honest. Another glass box? Throw some curves in there mix it up. This design is tired and unimaginative. Breaking up the garage is a great thing but adding only a 600' to the skyline is mediocre even if there is a green way zoning reg.(which is ludicrous, no on uses the thing)

^In the PNF, it shows that the official height to the top of the top floor is 603ft. This building will reach closebto 650ft, so there shouldn't be any plateau concerns. The top of the top floor on the residential building is over 470ft, so that will be slightly taller too.

I'm being optimistic on this one.

Left my $.02 for those idiots on the Facebook page.

Who isn't trolling the nutjobs on that FaceBook post at this point? I feel like it's just a bunch of people hating on the project out of some misguided sense of "protecting" the city, and then for each of them there is one of us, snarking it up and dragging their arguments through the mud.

Remember, folks... "a city can never have too many parks!"

I'm disappointed by this to be honest. Another glass box? Throw some curves in there mix it up. This design is tired and unimaginative. Breaking up the garage is a great thing but adding only a 600' to the skyline is mediocre even if there is a green way zoning reg.(which is ludicrous, no on uses the thing)

There is a difference between a glass box and a glass tower. Boston has too many glass boxes and not enough good glass towers. This is a breath of fresh air, IMHO, for Boston.

That David Field guy...he makes me want to chuck an Economic book at his face.

Looks like Menino is on board this time ...

“Depressing the Central Artery gave rise to the Green*way and strengthened the connection between downtown and the waterfront. I’m pleased that the redevelopment of the Government Center Garage looks to extend those connections — further linking our growing neighborhoods,” Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement.

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2013/06/gov_center_to_hit_new_heights

I think he'd put the rubber stamp on just about anything so he can have as much physical proof that "oh yea menino helped put that there, he changed the face of the city" yadda yadda. Improve his "legendary" status and leave his indelible mark on the city.

Also, didn't Mayor White go down as being very pro development? Following in his footsteps maybe. Besides he doesn't have to worry about siding with big corporations and alienating his constituents anymore, he's not running

Back