Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

What about Atlantic Wharf? It's 120 meters and finished in 2011. Also 45 Province at 340'/2009.
Otherwise your point is well taken. "No Skyscrapers in almost 4 decades." Pathetic!!!!

In fact, we haven't had a single development in years that would even qualify for the "highrise" section of 100 meters and above. (328')[/QUOTE]

What is this? Saracasm? My comment was more in response to the article heading, kinda like "In other news, the world is round!" Obviously I know this. The title of that article suggests that skyscrapers are some new fangled invention.

I think s/he was cleverly responding to today's Globe caption about people starting to embrace skyscrapers in Boston.

What about Atlantic Wharf? It's 120 meters and finished in 2011. Also 45 Province at 340'/2009.
Otherwise your point is well taken. "No Skyscrapers in almost 4 decades." Pathetic!!!!

I meant in the current "boom". 2 "highrises" in 8 years is nothing to be proud of. Also, where did you get your figures on 45 Province? I always thought it LOOKED that tall, but was only about 315'.

I think s/he was cleverly responding to today's Globe caption about people starting to embrace skyscrapers in Boston.

Hence the reason I am asking. I am never rude, snarky or a wiseass to anyone on this board, and have been that way for the seven years I have been a member. I only expect that courtesy is returned. I think the only borderline wise ass remark I have made was directed toward Ned and his incessant anti Columbus Center posts.

I meant in the current "boom". 2 "highrises" in 8 years is nothing to be proud of. Also, where did you get your figures on 45 Province? I always thought it LOOKED that tall, but was only about 315'.

Sorry can't find the source at the moment, but I did find one for The Clarendon which has it at 102.4m, finished 2009 also.

Sorry can't find the source at the moment, but I did find one for The Clarendon which has it at 102.4m, finished 2009 also.

You're right, forgot that one. So we got 3 buildings between 100-120m in the last 8-9 years (since the Millennium Place/111 Huntington/State Street/33 Arch boom). It's still disappointing. Boston has 18 buildings over 150m so it's pretty tough to make a dent on the skyline anyway, but you'd think we could do better than this.

By the way DZ, great set of photos today.

By the way DZ, great set of photos today.

Thanks! I take so many, about 1000 a month, but I find it's so time consuming to sort through them and post, so there are many sets I look at once and then I'm on to the next one. But, I always want to be timely with construction photos.

By the way, you had some really clutch construction photo updates when I was down in North Carolina. Thanks for continuously providing us with your great pictures!

Interesting take this morning in the Globe by Paul McMorrow that this project and Jeremy Jacobs' neighboring towers for the Garden don't represent the influence of an extending downtown, but really the influence from the Back Bay towers of the 60's and 70's.

It is behind the paywall, but if you have it, it is great food for thought:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...dig-shadows/1Its547AlG43zO0gUhUiJK/story.html

Can't wait for the comments... Or are comments behind the paywall fewer and farther between?

BOSTON DOESN’T build tall buildings very often, so any proposal to erect a cluster of them is an anomaly. The towers slated to rise above the Government Center Garage and the old Boston Garden site stand out even more because developers are clamoring to erect some of the city’s highest buildings in a neighborhood that was, until recently, a backwater.

The proposed 600-foot towers will put multiple exclamation points on the Bulfinch Triangle’s emergence from its pre-Big Dig shadows. Seen from the harbor, the two mega-projects will extend the Financial District’s cluster of towers out of downtown, and to the foot of the Zakim Bridge. But the towers — which are using height as a tool for advancing the streets around them — don’t represent an extension of Boston’s downtown, but rather, the triumph of its Back Bay. With the towers, the mixture of significant height and fine-grain neighborhood streets that enabled the Back Bay’s success now spreads to the rest of the city.

The High Spine saved the old Back Bay from the wrecking ball. City planners had seriously considered bulldozing large sections of Commonwealth Avenue, and inserting modern apartment towers among the historic brownstones. They flirted with demolition because they were desperate to pump new life into what was, in the 1960s, a shabby, deteriorating neighborhood. The Back Bay’s towers — led by the Prudential Center and the the John Hancock Tower — represented a way of investing in the Back Bay while preserving the old neighborhood.

The line of new Back Bay towers lifted destructive development pressures from the Back Bay’s historic brownstones, while the enormous investment that created the city’s architectural spine spilled over into the shops and restaurants that sprang up in the blocks around the towers. Massive office towers and low-slung residential neighborhoods now sit cheek-to-jowl. The result on the street is a jumbled mixture of residents and office workers and shoppers that create a vitality the downtown can’t match.

It’s the High Spine extended into North Station.

The Causeway Street site that Boston Properties and Delaware North are now teeing up for redevelopment has been a fenced-off parking lot since the old Boston Garden came down 15 years ago. The property, once the center of a dark, beer-stained, part-time corner on the edge of town, is now teeming with activity. The Big Dig, the demolition of the elevated Green Line, and the expansion of North Station have combined to open up a neighborhood penned in by hulking transportation systems. New residences and offices are now springing up on three sides of the Garden site. The proposal for replacing the old Garden with 1.7 million square feet of new homes, offices, hotel rooms and shops — punctuated with towers that could match the tallest buildings in the Financial District — would anchor all this new development.

The Government Center Garage project is even more ambitious. It would transform a nine-story, 2,300-car garage that spans Congress Street into a five-acre, six-building complex. The garage is the last of a number of urban renewal-era parking structures that the city sold in the 1970s and 1980s to be slated for redevelopment. It has deadened the surrounding city blocks and walled off the downtown from the Bulfinch Triangle for roughly half a century. The garage’s developer, the HYM Investment Group, wants to cut the garage in half, wrap its blank sides in shops, offices, and homes, add new structures along the Greenway and Haymarket Square, and top the garage’s western half with a pair of significant new towers.

The garage redevelopment and the Garden project are both large, expensive, and unusually tall for their part of town. In each case, the height isn’t an end to itself, but a way of paying for the retail and street level improvements below. And the shops at the base of the developments are aimed at reinforcing the activity that’s already happening in the low-slung neighborhoods next door, in the North End and Beacon Hill and the emerging Bulfinch Triangle. It’s the High Spine extended into North Station — height, density, and low-rise neighborhoods all working in harmony.

Paul McMorrow is an associate editor at Commonwealth Magazine. His column appears regularly in the Globe

Nice analysis.

That's a very nice take on it, and a comparison I hadn't considered. Back Bay has always been the nicest area of the city IMO, but I was born in the 80s so I didn't ever see it pre-Pru/Hancock. It's interesting to think what could happen if these tower projects have the same effect on the area.

Very good piece. It gives you a good feeling that things will move the right way.

City planners had seriously considered bulldozing large sections of Commonwealth Avenue, and inserting modern apartment towers among the historic brownstones.

Had no idea about this. For all that we lament the West End and Government Center, think about all the bullets dodged.

It's great that the skyline is getting a third "cluster/focal point" that ties in another distinctive landmark (Zakim). Maybe it's a reach but I think it will also help stitch some of the North Point buildings in with the rest of the skyline, as right now they seem very separate despite their proximity to downtown. When the new towers go up it might start to feel like the start of a continuous curve of towers leading towards the Back Bay (and maybe hopefully onto Fenway at some point?).

Is this the site where I believe Foster + Partners had designed something fantastic a few years ago and was shot down by NIMBYs complaining about skyscrapers, etc.?

Cook + Fox was the best one of the group...god that was beautiful.

Back