Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Yeah, but I'm thinking those street-level shots, pretty as they are, will go the way of the dodo once they start value-engineering. Think Pier 4. Awesome renders - until the shovel went in the ground and we found out what it would REALLY look like (I know it's the rear building that wasn't in the render that's under construction, but I don't really expect better from the others...)

Thats true but also there are a lot of buildings that stuck to the render 100% or very close, avalon exeter, the clarendon, liberty mutual, liberty wharf, w hotel, 120 kingston. So I know the negatives stand out more, but in reality that is not always the case, not to mention this thing has already been changed a few times and I got a feeling this last change is gonna be it, only time will tell.

My limited experience comes from staying a few nights in the Hard Rock Hotel, right in the nexus between the river and Millennium Park. I went out walking around one night and I can vouch that the Michigan/Wabash/State area wasn't particularly pleasant. Not awful mind you, but I have no interest in doing that ever again.

What was the Hard Rock like? The building exterior is so outstanding. (I always end up staying somewhere boring in quick stopovers).

Outside is art deco awesomeness. Inside is kind of like any other quasi-high end hotel except there's corny rock n' roll quotes plastered on the walls. I could take it or leave it.

Even if the garage is torn down and nothing gets built, it will be a huge improvement.

I'm reluctant to you agree with you here, Ron. But I will agree.

Who in the 1960s thought that blocking this great view of the Custom House Tower was a good idea?

Excellent statement. To me, the Custom House is the absolute best building. Any development that opens up this view is a plus.

Even if the garage is torn down and nothing gets built, it will be a huge improvement.

I do agree

What about if we have another Waterside Development to replace the garage? That would hurt.

Eek. The facade of the low rise section looks too much like the facade of the garage, IMO.

http://northendwaterfront.com/2011/...-complex-to-replace-government-center-garage/
NorthEndWaterfront-2013-06-05-at-10.36.43-PM.jpg

Love the balconies...lets be serious, if this gets built it will be amazing.

What do we think about lots of balconies. I liked having one in the past, but I think balconies clutter up the facade.

Love the balconies...lets be serious, if this gets built it will be amazing.

I think balconies are great. I wish I had one myself! They are an easy way to give people a little bit of private outdoor space in the city. Great for sitting outside and having a meal or reading a book.

I love balconies both functionally and aesthetically. They activate facades like nothing else can. I don't understand the intense hate that balconies constantly get on this board.

Maybe because buildings with lots of balconies are actually ugly buildings and the balconies are maligned via guilt by association? Personally, I prefer roof terraces.

I love balconies both functionally and aesthetically. They activate facades like nothing else can. I don't understand the intense hate that balconies constantly get on this board.

Balconies are typically done really, really badly and come out just godawful looking. It doesn't have to be the case though. I LOVE these buildings:

18495_2_02-RTKL-LXM_zpsfe420912.jpg

^the issue is, of course, they don't show the railings in those renderings.

Balconies are typically done really, really badly and come out just godawful looking. It doesn't have to be the case though. I LOVE these buildings:

18495_2_02-RTKL-LXM_zpsfe420912.jpg

^the issue is, of course, they don't show the railings in those renderings.

Glass railings?

Latest meeting:
http://northendwaterfront.com/2013/...roject-moving-toward-november-approval-video/

“One Congress,” the Government Center Garage redevelopment project is moving quickly toward approval by city officials and could be given the go ahead by the Boston Redevelopment Authority as soon as November 14, 2013. The BRA has accelerated its project reviews in the final months of Mayor Menino’s administration, according to the Boston Globe. The 2.4 million SF development calls for 771 residential units, 204 new hotel rooms, 1.3 million SF of office, 82,500 SF of retail and 1,159 parking spaces.

At this week’s City Hall meeting, lead developer of the project, Thomas O’Brien of HYM Investor Group, reviewed recent changes made to the One Congress proposal from the original Project Notification Form to the current Draft Project Impact Report. Specifically, height adjustments reduced the tops of the highest towers (west office parcel from 600′ to 528′ and 118′ drop in the residential / hotel tower on the east parcel from 275′ to 157′) while making up the square footage with height increases spread to the smaller buildings proposed on the project site.

Woohoo! I'm starting to feel sadness now for that poor woman who loves the look of the garage. (Cookoo cookoo)

I'd be willing to bet that the changes to the proposal had little to do with the actual height of the buildings as much as the shadows caused by that height. Look at the shadow impact pages of the PDFs and it is a significant change. I'm thinking those shadows are what were really pissing off/scaring the Nimbys. That said - is it possible that the 528' is simply to the highest occupied floor, and perhaps with the slanted roof or some mechanicals it will actually top out over 550? Or because the proposal says 528', is that the limit of the structure as a whole? Please educate me.

I'd be willing to bet that the changes to the proposal had little to do with the actual height of the buildings as much as the shadows caused by that height. Look at the shadow impact pages of the PDFs and it is a significant change. I'm thinking those shadows are what were really pissing off/scaring the Nimbys. That said - is it possible that the 528' is simply to the highest occupied floor, and perhaps with the slanted roof or some mechanicals it will actually top out over 550? Or because the proposal says 528', is that the limit of the structure as a whole? Please educate me.

Im pretty sure the heights approved by the BRA are to the highest occupied floor so many of the buildings being built could end up taller than we think. am I wrong about this?

Back