Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Pardon my ignorance, but in the ever-popular "twilight" rendering, the glass "wrapper" which extends several stories past the occupied floor appears to have lit windows on it. Is this just an over-the-top rendering, or do some buildings that utilize this type of facade feature ever illuminate that portion to make it appear like occupied floors?

I think it's more likely that it would resemble the top of Shanghai Tower, just a lit crown.

This tower got me all like

0j4I9c.png

If this isn't built I will lose a lot of faith (probably shouldn't be there in the first place) in Boston. This is gorgeous build it asap.

If Boston isn't a bunch of complete pussies we build this gal as is. No compromise for the old hags who have issues with everything.

Ironic that you wrote that - - my immediate impression is that it looks like a flowing, dress.

Very cool, very stylish, very un-Boston.

Ironic that you wrote that - - my immediate impression is that it looks like a flowing, dress.

Very cool, very stylish, very un-Boston.

that is mine as well, must be modeled after a woman dancing.

The harbor side is indeed very nice. I'm going to say it - for the first time ever: I wish it was taller. THIS is the first building proposed that I wish rocketed through everything else and became the new highlight of the skyline.

Thatbeingsaid, I am a bit concerned that they are only showing the harbor side. What's going on with the back that they're hiding?

Another thought; while usually I'm a champion of ground floor activation, I'd be okay with this not having anything more than a ground floor lobby. Reason being, I think that the signage associated with whatever tenant would go in, as well as the associated loading docks, would spoil the ground floor. This is one of the few tower's I've seen proposed without a podium, it just goes straight to the ground. Putting a retail space in would spoil the sculptural elements that I think hold really strong here from ground level up. In a similar vein, I wouldn't want to see retail space cut into the front of the Hancock.

The harbor side is indeed very nice. I'm going to say it - for the first time ever: I wish it was taller. THIS is the first building proposed that I wish rocketed through everything else and became the new highlight of the skyline.

Thatbeingsaid, I am a bit concerned that they are only showing the harbor side. What's going on with the back that they're hiding?

Another thought; while usually I'm a champion of ground floor activation, I'd be okay with this not having anything more than a ground floor lobby. Reason being, I think that the signage associated with whatever tenant would go in, as well as the associated loading docks, would spoil the ground floor. This is one of the few tower's I've seen proposed without a podium, it just goes straight to the ground. Putting a retail space in would spoil the sculptural elements that I think hold really strong here from ground level up. In a similar vein, I wouldn't want to see retail space cut into the front of the Hancock.
Put some retail on the backside in the ruffles of her dress.

Heh, you would've hated some of the feasibility studies we were doing a handful of years ago for adding some glassed in restaurant space at the base of the Hancock.

Not for this particular tower/location, but something similar to this design would look amazing stretched out to 900'+.

It's like the Gherkin made love to International Place and won the architecture lottery. Mixed metaphors! Build it!

Too late man- hancocks got the blue glass cafe with it's overpriced everything

That being said - this towers the shit- LETS GET THIS SHIT STARTEDDDDDDD

Amazing, this is the type of architecture we need, modern. Hope it gets built

Beautiful design, but man, what another 72 feet or of height would do. (I'd say even more, but the site is zoned for up to 600 feet.) Too bad O'Brien compromised on height in the waning days of the Menino administration. With Marty's new openness to height, 600 feet (plus the additional height above the occupiable floors making it much taller) would have been a breeze. I just hope that it doesn't get value engineered to death. This looks like a very expensive build with all the curved glass.

Oh look, a shot of Dubai...
This will be a grand slam if built as designed. Hopefully Boston has the maturity to accept something significantly different.

Couldn't agree more. Keep this one pure.

If the residential tower may start next year is there a rendering somewhere?

Beautiful design, but man, what another 72 feet or of height would do. (I'd say even more, but the site is zoned for up to 600 feet.) Too bad O'Brien compromised on height in the waning days of the Menino administration. With Marty's new openness to height, 600 feet (plus the additional height above the occupiable floors making it much taller) would have been a breeze. I just hope that it doesn't get value engineered to death. This looks like a very expensive build with all the curved glass.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one approached 600'. The lone skyline rendering showed that the roof line on this project is still taller than the 480' tower, and I bet that's where the 528' figure comes in. If that's the case, then the crown definitely extends at least 60' higher.

It seems we're in a similar situation to Copley Place, where the roof lies at 569' but the crown extends to 625'.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one approached 600'. The lone skyline rendering showed that the roof line on this project is still taller than the 480' tower, and I bet that's where the 528' figure comes from. If that's the case, then the crown definitely extends at least 60' higher.

It seems we're in a similar situation to Copley Place, where the roof lies at 569' but the crown extends to 625'.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one approaches 600 feet either. The 528 foot height is the zoning height (i.e., to the top of the last occupiable floor). My point was that this could have been designed and built to a zoning height of 600 feet, with the crown on top of that extending the actual height to 660 feet or so based upon your estimate of at least an additional 60 feet.

Shit son. This is like the first time of boston getting a sweet tower with an awesome crown and not a fucking flat roof. And I'm just in munich sippin on hofbrau, eating the shit out of this 5 euro Doner kebab, checking out these dirndl chicks with their tits hanging out, while yall are enjoying the piss of this proposal. I'll see you guys in the states soon. I'll give a commentary when I'm not as shot faced and tit faced soon

Lol call me crazy but I dont like it, it doesnt mesh with anything in the skyline at all and it looks too wide, if it was thinner and that slit wasnt as wide i would like it.

Lol call me crazy but I dont like it, it doesnt mesh with anything in the skyline at all and it looks too wide, if it was thinner and that slit wasnt as wide i would like it.

Yeah I feel ya on the slit not being so wide...

Back