Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Shit son. This is like the first time of boston getting a sweet tower with an awesome crown and not a fucking flat roof. And I'm just in munich sippin on hofbrau, eating the shit out of this 5 euro Doner kebab, checking out these dirndl chicks with their tits hanging out, while yall are enjoying the piss of this proposal. I'll see you guys in the states soon. I'll give a commentary when I'm not as shot faced and tit faced soon

Hahahahaha. Best post.

Prost!

^Ach du liebe, this thread just got real.

Prost!

Lol call me crazy but I dont like it, it doesnt mesh with anything in the skyline at all and it looks too wide, if it was thinner and that slit wasnt as wide i would like it.

I agree with it looking too wide, which is why it should be taller. It's kind of sad that this tower looks so out of place because everything else in the surrounding area is as boring as dirt.

Lol call me crazy but I dont like it, it doesnt mesh with anything in the skyline at all and it looks too wide, if it was thinner and that slit wasnt as wide i would like it.

Are you "stick n move" or "stick in mud"?

Guys, this building's pretty damn close to perfect. If you can't enjoy this, you can't enjoy anything.

Guys, this building's pretty damn close to perfect. If you can't enjoy this, you can't enjoy anything.

Only way to make it better would be to double the height

This project made the first page on skyscraperpage.com. I can't think of a time where that has happened before.

This project made the first page on skyscraperpage.com. I can't think of a time where that has happened before.

I loved walking by all the Globe newsstands today and seeing it front and center on the front page!

Oh don't worry, I'm definitely enjoying it. Just some thing I observed from looking at the rendering.

I think its width is out of proportion with its height, but that's probably a concession to commercial realities.

I wouldn't be surprised if this one approaches 600 feet either. The 528 foot height is the zoning height (i.e., to the top of the last occupiable floor). My point was that this could have been designed and built to a zoning height of 600 feet, with the crown on top of that extending the actual height to 660 feet or so based upon your estimate of at least an additional 60 feet.

Ahhh, I understand now! My bad. Yes, the situation you describe would be more than ideal...

If this is to be the second building why is the proposal for this first?

From the original Boston Globe article:

Developer HYM Investment Group said it wants to begin construction next year. The project, estimated to cost well over $1 billion, would start with a 42-story residential tower planned to contain 450 units of rental and ownership housing. That would be followed by removal of the part of the garage that hangs over Congress Street and the construction of the 47-story office building.

If this is to be the second building why is the proposal for this first?

Because residential buildings are built on spec. They need to drum up a tenant for this one. Also, this is way better looking.

Because residential buildings are built on spec. They need to drum up a tenant for this one. Also, this is way better looking.

Ah that makes sense. still weird there is no render for it.

Ah that makes sense. still weird there is no render for it.

I was just about to ask if there actually was a rendering for the res building, but that question was answered.

I was just about to ask if there actually was a rendering for the res building, but that question was answered.

There is a small render for it in the skyline shot, next to the office tower. It's why most of us think the office tower is going to push 600' to the crown.

Post 1638 on page 82had all the renderings. Since that's now 3 pages up thread, I thought I'd include the most "meaningful" image, being this one, which shows it at least as fine an addition as International Place (and a welcome tall thing on the North Station side of town
OneCongressRedevelopment-SkylineImageA.jpg

Its going to be quite an expansion of the "tall part" of the city when both this and the new North Station towers are up (which go right in the middle of the "empty part" on the right half of the picture.

North End Residents might lose it on this one. I can't blamed the NIMBYS on this project if it casts a giant shadow on the North End---This area has become more popular than the Backbay.

Back