Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Ok, that's good then. The office tower lobby should open onto New Chardon St, maybe just wrapping around a bit to the corner with Congress.

Fattony, Data

I think its clear now except for the location of the exact footprint of the Peli

OneCongressOfficeTower-NightA.jpg

If the text describing the plan is correct and the footprint of the Peli Tower is on the corner of Sudbury & Congress -- post the removal of the bridge section of the garage then
  • the Residential Tower is the one WPB2 -- shown as taller in the overall plan
  • while the Peli is essentially on the footprint of the short WPB3 in the original plan
  • not sure what happens to WPB1

9603210952_c81b878597_b.jpg

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

I don't understand how the existing garage structure would remain under this proposal.

Finally got the PNF (warning slow file).

Pelli's plan is not really compatible with the original redevelopment plan praised by the AIA ( as originally noted by Datadyne).
How would Pelli's oval design interact with the rectilinear garage?

The original PNF proposal had the office building WP B2 as a totally new structure with a new garage structure and ramp to replace the existing ramp and provide additional parking with the office tower as a new build directly adjacent and covering the garage (i.e. not on the existing footprint). The residential buildings wrapped the Congress St and New Sudbury St facades to hide the remaining garage and then extend above the existing structure on the south parking bay.

If I naively place Pelli's oval office building on New Chardon where the original proposed site plan has the office building, it would:

1) Be a small floor plate for an office building
2) Have a weird relationship to the existing garage as it is very close to the linear but skewed edge.
3) Remove the old ramp structure but not replace it. Add no new parking.
4) Not 'cover' and therefore hide the New Chardon side of the garage.

Clearly one of these proposals is not fully baked.

Re: Congress Street Garage Development | West End

Tishman ad in July/August 2015 issue of UrbanLand magazine:

ry%3D400

This tower would steal the show. The building block towers will look even more blocky once/if this goes up. Build it! :D

So I take it Tishman is the general contractor for this.

How many floors will the new tower have?

I have long expected that the next major groundbreaking in Boston would either be Copley or TD project. My hope is they would both break ground before the end of the year. Now this week there was news that Copley will indeed break ground this fall. I sort of considered this project on the back burner, which is a shame because it is excellent.

Now with this ad there comes hope that behind the scenes things are moving. How amazing would it be if all three of these projects (Copley, TD and Congress St) broke ground on this development wave.

What a fall it could be as Millenium tops off, 1 Dalton looks like it will be rising in next few months, and perhaps 3 huge groundbreakings. Would be a great run.

I have long expected that the next major groundbreaking in Boston would either be Copley or TD project. My hope is they would both break ground before the end of the year. Now this week there was news that Copley will indeed break ground this fall. I sort of considered this project on the back burner, which is a shame because it is excellent.

Now with this ad there comes hope that behind the scenes things are moving. How amazing would it be if all three of these projects (Copley, TD and Congress St) broke ground on this development wave.

What a fall it could be as Millenium tops off, 1 Dalton looks like it will be rising in next few months, and perhaps 3 huge groundbreakings. Would be a great run.

Your tone of reverence is perfect.

I think this one needs a partial demo on the garage before it can commence. Pretty sure the 480' residential portion can go without that though.

From the sounds of it, 1 Dalton may not actually be out of the ground for another year+.

Look to Nashua St Residences and The Point/Pierce/Whatever to bridge the gap between MT and the next wave of giant towers. A couple "area tallests" to whet the appetite.

From the sounds of it, 1 Dalton may not actually be out of the ground for another year+.

Why do you say that? I think that is true for the Copley Place tower because of all the difficult preparatory work required underground because of the highway running underneath, but I haven't heard about any complications for One Dalton that would result in such a delay.

Why do you say that? I think that is true for the Copley Place tower because of all the difficult preparatory work required underground because of the highway running underneath, but I haven't heard about any complications for One Dalton that would result in such a delay.

In the One Dalton thread it was mentioned that they are not doing up/down simultaneous construction at One Dalton. The are completing all the down work first before the tower rises, and this will take some time.

Someone had posted in the Four Seasons thread saying that it would be that long and it sounded like they might have inside info. But I personally didn't think it would take that long.

Sorry to be a downer, but I won't believe anything is happening until I see anything happening.

With all these incredible towers Boston is going to be on another level. Were going to have the old row houses the european style streets and then incredible skyscrapers soaring above all of that. This city already is like nowhere else in america at street level but then to have the skyline to compliment that is gonna be somethin else.

With all these incredible towers Boston is going to be on another level. Were going to have the old row houses the european style streets and then incredible skyscrapers soaring above all of that. This city already is like nowhere else in america at street level but then to have the skyline to compliment that is gonna be somethin else.

That's seriously what I love most about Boston.

Friends who work at Suffolk all confirmed that 1 Dalton involves ~1 year ground work before they go vertical.

Also sounds like it's a lot more important of a project than MT which I found interesting...don't see how that's possible.

Who's the construction firm for GCG?

Friends who work at Suffolk all confirmed that 1 Dalton involves ~1 year ground work before they go vertical.

Also sounds like it's a lot more important of a project than MT which I found interesting...don't see how that's possible.

Assuming GCG is Congress St garage,

• Architect: CBT Architects
• Structural Engineers: McNamara/Salvia, Inc.
• Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Consultant: WSP Flack + Kurtz
• Permitting Consultant: VHB/Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc.
• Traffic Consultant: Howard Stein Hudson Associates, Inc.
• Parking Consultant: Walker Parking Consultants
• General Contractor: Tishman Construction Corp. of MA
• Legal Counsel: Rubin & Rudman, LLP.
• Community Relations: Tom Palmer Communications, DiFronzo Consultants and InkHouse

I presume 'GCG' = Government Center Garage

Question, if you don't mind:

Does that mean one year from now, or one year from groundbreaking? If the latter, it broke ground in mid-January, so we'd see it start rising in a not-too-agonizingly long amount of time. Dearly hope it's the latter.

Didn't ask...I assume 1 year from groundbreaking so by this time next year we should see progress.

I want all these projects done yesterday.

Back